Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Fertility and Gynecology Subforum
A way to stop STDs permanently in their tracks?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valgex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:10 pm
What I'm about to say may anger, offend and maybe even make people cry, but I feel it is necessary for me to speak about this. I was thinking of this for quite some time(years even) and I was thinking, why doesn't the state or federal government ban sex for those with STD. I know, crazy, no way they could possibly enforce this. However, in order to eliminate STDs from existence, some sort of action should be taken. It only takes one person to start a STD chain all over again. Another idea, is have those who have it to be separated from the others, but thats illegal. So, I'm stuck on this matter.

"What should the federal and state government do, to stop(not protect) against STDs from transferring"

STDs will be around as long as humans are around, unless something strict is done, or is there another way?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:48 am
None of that would ever work. There's already too many laws as it is, and making laws against things concerning sex, other than age restrictions and rape and stuff like that, is pretty pointless. No one can control what people do in their own home. There used to be laws against gay sex, I doubt very many people worried about it since the government can't see into your bedroom. There's laws against people under sixteen having sex, look how many people still do it because who, other than their parents, who can't necessarily know every single thing either, is going to stop them? I've often thought that if people just made better choices, slept with fewer people, or made sure anyone they were going to have sex with didn't have any diseases, that maybe these things would go away. But there's always stupid people out there, or lying people, and so they won't. Actually, what I think would work better, if you wanted to go the law route, would be if there was a law stating that you had to tell all sexual partners about any STDs you have. That sort of thing might actually work, because then if someone didn't tell, and the other person ended up with the disease, and they knew who it was that gave it to them, they could take them to court or something. I doubt anything would ever get rid of them completely though, just because of how humans are. It doesn't really bother me that much though, I don't worry about them since I'm in a permanent relationship and neither of us have or will sleep with anyone else.  

Vickicat

Shy Poster

13,115 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:44 am
It's not really feasible right now and hopefully it never will be.

1. The government doesn't know about what goes on in most of our bedrooms.

2. Having such laws would pretty much require constant STD tests in order to weed who goes into which group. Even with constant testing and separating people as you suggested, there would still be new people popping up all the time with STDs. That's because:

-doctors cannot accurately test for HIV until three months after exposure. That's three months where someone could potentially infect other people before showing up as positive on their own HIV test.
-things like HIV are not just sexually transmitted. HIV can also be contracted through blood. That means police officers and nurses have a higher chance of getting it than the rest of the population.
-last I heard, HPV tests for males had not been perfected yet.

So even with daily testing, new people would keep coming up as positive. And who's paying to test the entire world for STDs every day by the way? I think our taxes would have to be 100% of our income to do such a thing. And that's not even counting the manpower needed to enforce the law.

3. There are a lot of STDs. Every STD is different. Some are life threatening and have no cure. Others just give you a little yellow discharge and can be cleared up with a simple pill. Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot more logical and moral to simply give people in the second group the pill rather than sticking them on an island and telling them it's illegal for them to have sex with anyone outside their "STD group" or telling them it's illegal for them to have sex at all?

4. It's estimated that over 90% of people will end up with HPV in their lifetime. HPV can be serious, but most of us have no symptoms or problems because of it, so most of us aren't bothered by it at all. But it's still an STD, so your proposed law would mean over 90% of the world could not legally have sex.

5. Don't forget that people with STDs are human too. And they're certainly not all drug using hookers. A lot of people get STDs from a committed partner who had no symptoms and didn't know they had an STD from their last partner, from a condom that broke, from an old blood transfusion, from being raped, etc. To say those people all deserve to be stuck on an island somewhere away from friends and loved ones or constantly watched to make sure they don't get a new sex partner is just cruel.

The only cost effective, logical, and moral way to stop STDs in their tracks is to combine the following:

-education
-male latex condoms
-testing
-researching cures

If you're worried about STDs educate yourself, use a condom, get tested, talk to your partner, have your partner get tested. And if you're very interested in putting a stop to STDs, try spreading the word about all of that stuff too. You can participate in an AIDS awareness walk, wear an AIDS ribbon, write a blog about it, donate to finding a cure, etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 pm
yea that will not work but it might if it was law for the hole world but i think it is not fair for those people  

darkecrow

Valgex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:24 pm
I'm well educated on the matter, however. I'm just saying, with how society is going, STDs will always be around and may even get worse. Even with Condoms&pills, you can still get it and once you do, your stuck with it for life(Unless they can cure it)

Example: What I'm worried about is I get into a relationship, my girlfriend has a STD and doesn't tell me, I use protection and still get infected or worse, she doesn't know and I still get infected. You can trust someone from years, but they can still have the secret of having a STD and you never knowing, that's my problem. I can take her word for it and trust her, or maker her think I don't trust her and ask for testing results while I do the same as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:29 pm
Valgex

Example: What I'm worried about is I get into a relationship, my girlfriend has a STD and doesn't tell me, I use protection and still get infected or worse, she doesn't know and I still get infected. You can trust someone from years, but they can still have the secret of having a STD and you never knowing, that's my problem. I can take her word for it and trust her, or maker her think I don't trust her and ask for testing results while I do the same as well.

Asking someone to get tested with you isn't the same as not trusting them. If a girl ever got angry that you wanted to be safe, it just means she's not worth your time in the first place. Any decent girl will understand your concerns and agree to get tested.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Valgex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:17 am
LorienLlewellyn
Valgex

Asking someone to get tested with you isn't the same as not trusting them. If a girl ever got angry that you wanted to be safe, it just means she's not worth your time in the first place. Any decent girl will understand your concerns and agree to get tested.
I know, and for me to find a decent girl I may trust, it seems I'll need to move more North-East, because most of them here in the West, go for guys they think they'll be happy with and two, are not serious about being safe.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:35 am
Valgex
I know, and for me to find a decent girl I may trust, it seems I'll need to move more North-East, because most of them here in the West, go for guys they think they'll be happy with and two, are not serious about being safe.

I'm in the North East, and I do like it. But I can tell you that there are unsafe people, weirdos, hillbillies, etc. here too! There's all kinds of people no matter where you go. If you're stuck in a rut and thinking all the girls in your town are the same, you can try going somewhere a little different, even just a just different hangout within the same town, to try to meet some different people. Or you can move one town over. I don't know about where you live, but around here, you can be in the woods, farmland, suburbs, or city by simply driving one hour or less. So you don't have to make a big move to get a big change of scenery and a whole group of different people.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Valgex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:59 pm
LorienLlewellyn
Valgex

I'm in the North East, and I do like it. But I can tell you that there are unsafe people, weirdos, hillbillies, etc. here too! There's all kinds of people no matter where you go. If you're stuck in a rut and thinking all the girls in your town are the same, you can try going somewhere a little different, even just a just different hangout within the same town, to try to meet some different people. Or you can move one town over. I don't know about where you live, but around here, you can be in the woods, farmland, suburbs, or city by simply driving one hour or less. So you don't have to make a big move to get a big change of scenery and a whole group of different people.
I'm not sure if its our area that dictates how people think here, but people here seem to be narrow minded and very unintelligent, since Arizona is like rated 49th smartest state in the country or something like that. Then there are the select few people. I wish I could find a way to gather everyone into one spot and somehow unlock the narrow minded in my area. But now its getting of topic though.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:28 pm
I have herpes Type 1 - coldsores basically. I heard recently they're technically not an STD because they're on the mouth, but for the sake of arguement, I still consider them an STD because they're still a form of herpes.

Anyways, I would not ever want the government to decide that I am banned from having sex because my mother gave me the virus as a child. As it's already been mentioned, that's not fair. In cases like mine, some STD's like herpes Type I can be passed from person to person even without sexual contact.

Minus my very first boyfriend, I have always been honest with my partner about getting coldsores. Thankfully since high school, I only get about one outbreak a year, and I'm always careful when I do have them. If I tell my partner before I have sex with them, and they change their mind about wanting to be intimate with me or wanting to date me, then they're not worth my time in the first place.

And I agree with Lorien. You should be honest with your partner, and if for some stupid reason they're mad that you're asking them to get tested just to be safe, then they're not worth your time.

Also, it's a good idea to build trust and respect with your partner before you sleep with them. Ask them to get tested before you are intimate together (if they're not a virgin), and it's a good idea to ask them to get tested even if they are a virgin, just in case. And if the topic hasn't come up before, ask them flat out if they're clean before doing anything sexual with them.  

Nikolita
Captain

fizznomore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:26 am
LorienLlewellyn
Valgex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 pm
I know in the U.S. they have been battling with the idea of a sex license. Not saying you have to have one to have sex but to list what STDs you may be diagnoised with so that if you have a random partner they can ask for it and see what you have thus eliminating the whole "lying" factor. Then that way if someone had sesx with someone with an STD willingly they can not hold the orginal infected person at fault.

But what you say is just horrible. Humans are sexual creatures to tell them they can't is ridiculous and there are some diseases that don't spread from"sex" but different forms in different places (like herpes of the mouth).  

Foxprincess09

Ellstarz

7,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:39 pm
Are you also the kind of person who would support sterilization of people with mental/genetic defects from having children? :/  
Fertility and Gynecology Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games