Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!
Okay, this is embarassing. . . ^^' Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Help . . .
  + 1.
View Results

Drowtung

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:48 am
I saw there is no shame in knitting anywhere at anytime! Knitting is wonderful and relaxing and good for the soul. Possibly knitting while you are driving is not such a good idea, but well, you know...

I knit at disneyland all the time. On rides. Sitting next to strangers.

Like others have said you can make friends. Most of the time people do just ask what I am making/doing. i let them know, perhaps we chat for a second and then they leave me be. It's nice, and when I knit in a public place I get to enjoy the world around me whereas with reading I do not.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:20 pm
Personally, I've not often had trouble with people being rude about knitting. Occasionally someone'll come up and ask why you bother, or (as others have said) call you a grandma, but most people ignore you. I think you will find that most of the attention you get will be positive; curious people wondering what you're doing, or admiring your project.

In other words, go for it! heart 3nodding  

KariudoMegami

Supertheory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:22 pm
I knit-in-public shamelessly. I do it at school, work, in line for coffee, on the bus etc.

If people have a problem with it, it reflects on them, not you.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:02 pm
You fall hard, You fall deep
Even when you're awake, You look half asleep
Do you even know what you did last summer?
Wandering around deaf, dumb and blind
With the girls all hanging around you

I had done that the past two weeks before finals. My friend also did.
I know that I felt most comfortable in classes where my friends were in. (Or Chemistry class for some reason)
I would start with, like I said, classes with friends in it and then gradually start knitting in other classes. People only ask you about it for about a week. And then start to ignore you. Well, that's what happened to us.
Edit: Oh, I also knitted in Starbucks when a few friends of mine didn't have a final. It was probably the most relaxing atmosphere ever.

Is that no or yes? We'll have to guess.
Mysterious eyes let you see what you want.
Half the time you didn't know any better
But half the time you didhanging around
Like tomorrow doesn't apply to you

emergency conspiracy

4,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100

Supertheory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:14 pm
Ha.
I was knitting in line at Starbucks and made friends with Radiohead.
KIP = famous people.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 pm
Supertheory
Ha.
I was knitting in line at Starbucks and made friends with Radiohead.
KIP = famous people.
lucky...I gotta try that more often. I usually have people amazed that I can knit away a mile a minute and barely look at what I'm doing. I've only been knitting for about half my life, and it's as easy as breathing for me.  

Sachiko13

Supertheory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Now who's the lucky one? I wish I had that much knitting experience under my belt. I have trouble knitting more than about 200 sts/hour.

cry  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 pm
I've had a few people call me Grandma, but most of them do it with affection! ^_^ Most of the time, people seem to think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread and ask if I can teach them. I knit all the time during club meetings and even take simple projects to the movies and knit while I watch. Don't worry about the public so much, and if anyone does give you trouble, just point out the some of the major celebrities knit, and some football players embroider. wink  

Evagaline

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:18 pm
all throughout my junior and senior years iin high school I crocheted (or knitted, depending on my project at the time) in almost all of my classes. (my english teacher was appalled by the idea that I would crochet in class instead of listening to her preach about useless info)

I always recived one of the these reactions

1) You knit, only grandmas knit
2) dude, you are SO gay (which I'm not)
3) Cool, I do too
4) Awsome!
5) Make me one!!!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:52 am
Zydrate comes in a little glass vial
And the little glass vial goes into the gun like a battery...

My friends all tease me about how I'm such an old lady for knitting. But then later on they ask me to teach them how to do it. I think knitting is becoming more of a younger thing now.

...And the Zydrate gun goes somewhere against your anatomy
And when the gun goes off it SPARKS and you're ready for surgery.

xCapnGx

ruki_hana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:12 pm
I wouldn't worry about doing it. In fact, it can sometimes help you in class if you are crafting while the teacher lectures. Because your hands are active, it keeps your mind from wandering and you'll be more aware of the class discussion. And if the prof/ teacher doesn't like it, they will tell you and yoou'll just have to remember not to do it in that particular class.
Have fun!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 am
You really just have to suck it and decide that as far as knitting and crochet go, you really don't give a stuff about what other people think. Then just knit.

Other people will get over it. Especially when they see what awesome things you make. Then they'll want some.

And, people will call you "grandma". It is wise to think up a retort for this early. I generally tell them exactly what I'm making. None of my projects are very grandmotherly at all. I know of someone who asks them where Grandmas get all their practice from.  

Meowgan

haveah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 pm
You really just have to not care what other people think. Most of the negative comments I've received since I started knitting, were from family members. They just think it's something you do when you're old. However- once you give them a few cool-looking knitted items and they wear them and realize the superiority over store-bought items (homemade socks = love), they stop the negative comments.

As for public knitting- I've knitted EVERYWHERE:

-At work (through four different jobs now)
-On the bus going to or from work...
-At birthday parties...
-At New Years parties...
-While visiting relatives...
-In the car on the way to ANYWHERE (as long as I'm not driving)
-At the movies (I've knitted through Spiderman, The Dark Knight, several Harry Potters, Hot Fuzz, and Bolt)
-During write-ins for NaNoWriMo (but only if I'm ahead in word count)
-During training for work (I ask the instructor if I could, cause it helps my ADD)

I've also had random people come up to me and want me to make them something. I had a cable installation guy see my stash and immediately beg me to make him something for his daughter. lol

I've also taught people to knit while waiting on a movie to start (it's really not that hard)...

AND during one particularly memorable NaNo write-in, I had a guy come up and ask if he could knit a little on my scarf. Turns out- he was a knitter, and had gotten away from it. And seeing me knitting was just too much- he just had to feed the need a bit. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 am
I'm one of those that takes my knitting EVERYWHERE. I even take it to the carwash, lol. I've found that most people are curious, but few have asked me what I am working on unless they themselves are addicted to yarn. It's a lot of fun, really. Start with something small, like a dishcloth or kerchief (scarves work too, but they can be hard to tote when they're bigger unless you're willing to carry it in something else). I've yet to get a dirty look or anything, but it could always happen. If it does, just shrug it off and go back to your project. And have fun!  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

Tsukiko99639

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:07 pm
I always knit wherever i go but school. (I can't knit there crying )
I knit while working at garage sales and get alot of people asking me what i'm knitting. I also do it on long car rides or sometimes when i'm visiting a friend.  
Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games