Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:26 pm
Man is condemned to be free. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

In the introduction thread, there was some discussion about figuring out people's voice types - there are tons of different classifications, and it can be difficult to tell what kind of voice you are. It is very important to sing songs that are written for a voice close to yours - it can be absolutely exhausting, for example, for a colouratura soprano to sing a heavy aria written for a dramatic, and it wouldn't be as strong anyway. Likewise, a dramatic soprano would not be happy floating up in the stratosphere with all the ornamentation of a typical colouratura aria.

tl;dr: talk about your voice type, and particularly if you're not sure, maybe someone here can help you out.

Some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fach - Fach is the German vocal classification heard often when discussion operatic voices.

I'm a lyric leaning soubrette, myself, although I'm young enough that that might change as my voice matures. I'm hoping to develop into a more dramatic lyric, like Mimi from La Bohème, but I'm afraid now I'm more of the Zerlina (from Don Giovanni) character... haha. Not that it's not fun to always sing the slutty characters...

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic. ~George Bernard Shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 am
I usually use a darker alto tone (which means I get to play old women and best friends >

Savoy

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:22 pm
Man is condemned to be free. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

That sounds like so much fun.... I've always envied altos a little bit, because it seems like their parts are always the most fun. I've sung alto in several choirs, and it was always a great experience. Besides, I think it's a bit harder to do, since you're not just floating on melody the whole time. Can't tell my soprano friends that, though! xD

There are some really beautiful mezzo roles out there, I must say. Good luck with your Nerone!

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic. ~George Bernard Shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:17 am
I was just been "placed" into choir at my college. Rather forceably by my music teacher. As you know im an oboe player with no knowledge of anything vocal...

I've figured out that im pretty much an alto. Definately not a soprano. Is there different levels say of alto? Because, even in the alto section i've noticed that people still have higher or lower pitched voices. I still have trouble hitting some of the pitches in the alto part because I do have a low voice. Is that just because im not experienced enough?

Right now were working on The Magnificat by Pergolesi.  

`Kel`
Captain

Curse-of-the-Ninth

5,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:32 pm
`Kel`
I was just been "placed" into choir at my college. Rather forceably by my music teacher. As you know im an oboe player with no knowledge of anything vocal...

I've figured out that im pretty much an alto. Definately not a soprano. Is there different levels say of alto? Because, even in the alto section i've noticed that people still have higher or lower pitched voices. I still have trouble hitting some of the pitches in the alto part because I do have a low voice. Is that just because im not experienced enough?

hey there, fellow alto! Actually, that's kinda strange that you were just placed into a choir, but I hope you're having at least a little fun. There are definitely different levels of alto -- some have a lighter color to their voice and are closer to the second soprani, while others (like me xp ) occasionally cross voices with the tenors.

As far as hitting notes and being experienced enough, the rule of thumb is: if it hurts, don't, for the love of God, do it. Otherwise, choral singing gets easier over time, I think, and if your choir is large/experienced enough to sing a Mag, then you probably don't have to oversing too much. Take the opportunity to experiment! Gosh, that probably wasn't very clarifying, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

btw, woodwinds are my favorite class of instrument, and the oboe is a long-time absolute favorite. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:49 am
Curse-of-the-Ninth
`Kel`

hey there, fellow alto! Actually, that's kinda strange that you were just placed into a choir, but I hope you're having at least a little fun. There are definitely different levels of alto -- some have a lighter color to their voice and are closer to the second soprani, while others (like me xp ) occasionally cross voices with the tenors.

As far as hitting notes and being experienced enough, the rule of thumb is: if it hurts, don't, for the love of God, do it. Otherwise, choral singing gets easier over time, I think, and if your choir is large/experienced enough to sing a Mag, then you probably don't have to oversing too much. Take the opportunity to experiment! Gosh, that probably wasn't very clarifying, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks, that does clarify some things. I definately cross with the tenors i've noticed. I sort of got myself out of singing though, xd They asked me to play the 2nd violin part on the oboe. Im excited, it actually sounds cool. Though I still have to sing in practice, it is chorus class afterall.

Quote:
btw, woodwinds are my favorite class of instrument, and the oboe is a long-time absolute favorite. heart

Thanks, I love to hear from oboe fans, instead of people who olny associate it with a duck or think its a clarinet. The oboe is actually arguably the closest instrument to the human voice. The violin and cello argue that they are but the oboe puts up a good argument (I think a better one) that it is.  

`Kel`
Captain

aryXbea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:12 pm
ALTOS FTW!

Sometime the altos are spilt into two parts: Alto Ones (Higher Pitches) and Alto Twos (Lower Pitchs)

about being placed:
It probably means you have a good ear. For example, I have a very flasetto voice but I made it into the elite choir group at my school because of my ear for music.

I personally think being plaec is a compliment!

Have fun with the Choir!!!

biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:15 pm
I've been taking lessons for a few years, and I was always told that I was just a soprano, but once I started taking lessons in college I learned that I am considered a Dramatischer Koloratursopran. I get to sing some seriously fun stuff 3nodding  

Aureleid

wolfbane_eyes

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:00 am
Honestly, I have no idea what I am. I can sing second soprano and alto as long as it doesn't go to low. I would say my tone is a bit darker, but in choir it always blends very beautifully, hence me singing the melodic line. How do I know what I am? whee  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:42 pm
Basically voice placement does NOT entirely depend on the range or weight of your voice. It depends on tone quality and warmth as well. An alto is classified as a woman with a moderatly low range, moderate weight, and a very warm (if not slightly "fuzzy" sound.) "Dramatic Soprano" is a term that is used loosely, but mostly pertains to seconds. 1st's must have a range reaching a B above the staff (on a college or perfessional level,) a pure tone quality, and a relatively "cold" sound.

I have been a First Soprano since I was 11 years old. I am now more of a "full," but I have maintained a range from a B below middle (while still in falcetto...but barely) to an A 2 octaves above middle C (with musicality...to an extent.) smile In the last 2-3 years I have moved into Coloratura rep, but I do still perform lower soprano range works from time to time as well.

Favorite Operatic role ever: Pamina. smile  

moon_child113

wolfbane_eyes

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:13 pm
moon_child113
Basically voice placement does NOT entirely depend on the range or weight of your voice. It depends on tone quality and warmth as well. An alto is classified as a woman with a moderatly low range, moderate weight, and a very warm (if not slightly "fuzzy" sound.) "Dramatic Soprano" is a term that is used loosely, but mostly pertains to seconds. 1st's must have a range reaching a B above the staff (on a college or perfessional level,) a pure tone quality, and a relatively "cold" sound.

I have been a First Soprano since I was 11 years old. I am now more of a "full," but I have maintained a range from a B below middle (while still in falcetto...but barely) to an A 2 octaves above middle C (with musicality...to an extent.) smile In the last 2-3 years I have moved into Coloratura rep, but I do still perform lower soprano range works from time to time as well.

Favorite Operatic role ever: Pamina. smile

So, since I have a warmer sound, that makes me an alto, right? whee  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 am
I happen to be an alto.  

K Owls

Cat.on.the.Hill

5,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:30 pm
`Kel`

Haha I know how you feel. Last semester i was told to join the chamber choir and was placed in alto. Though I think i'm a 1st alto? The one that can hit higher notes. I had fun time though and doing it again this semester. Maybe... There is a new instructor so i don't know whats going on. Anyways have fun in your choir! smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:50 am
i need help figureing out wat i am... i have a 3 octive range and i feel most comfertable singing low alto high tenner.... so i have no clue.... help?  

queen katz

Jellyrum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:39 pm
I HAVE A WIDE RANGE AND CAN SING ALMOST ANYTHING THAT SOMEONE THROUGS AT ME. BUT USUALLY I'M A MEZZO-SOPRANO.  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff