Violinists! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jaydoggy

Eloquent Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:03 pm
Tell about yourself! How long have you played? Do you have a name for your instrument? What's your favorite piece to play and what other fine pieces have you played?

I've played nearly 13 years now, my violin's name is Cherry, because I saw the Red Violin (AMAZING movie, I highly recommend it) and thought to myself "This movie is kickass, cherries are red like that violin, my violin's name will be Cherry."

Mozart's duets for violins based on his piano sonatas are very fun to play if you like to play with someone, my teacher and I do that for sight-reading fun. Most recently I learned Vitali's famous chaconne, I love that piece so much.

I really want to learn the famous sonata by Tartini called "The Devil's Trill," I feel bad for him considering he's written a LOT of violin music but that's about the only one of his pieces anybody plays anymore. It's also far above my skill level so all I can do is dream for now xd

Even though I compose I don't write a lot of string music (Mostly because there's a ton of it out there as it is). I wrote a viola concerto over the last several months because there aren't enough of them I think.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:45 am
I've been playing violin for 6 years and now going on the 7th year =)
My violin's name is Hash, sorta like hash-browns lol Perhaps one of the pieces that I play the most would be Elves Dance by E. Jenkinson from Solos for Young Violinists. It's very catchy. I also love to play by ear for pieces from movies or other songs.

Oh, and I have watched parts of the Red Violin movie but not all of it. I might try to find it and watch it again though.  

Erikia

paintboxgirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 am
Hi. I'm Michelle and I've been playing violin for about 30 years now, and viola for about 20 although I only play viola in orchestral situations since I don't care much for it as a solo instrument. I never named my violin (although I've called it a few unrepeatable things in the practice room lol ). As far as work in progress, right now I'm knocking the dust of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto as I'm supposed to play that next season. I played it for my doctoral performance, so it's not a real problem just a matter of getting my fingers wrapped back around it. My favorite things to play are the Bach Unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas. I love the mathematical precision of them and the conversational aspects--finally, I can talk to myself (at least musically) and nobody gives me funny looks!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:38 pm
paintboxgirl
Hi. I'm Michelle and I've been playing violin for about 30 years now, and viola for about 20 although I only play viola in orchestral situations since I don't care much for it as a solo instrument. I never named my violin (although I've called it a few unrepeatable things in the practice room lol ). As far as work in progress, right now I'm knocking the dust of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto as I'm supposed to play that next season. I played it for my doctoral performance, so it's not a real problem just a matter of getting my fingers wrapped back around it. My favorite things to play are the Bach Unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas. I love the mathematical precision of them and the conversational aspects--finally, I can talk to myself (at least musically) and nobody gives me funny looks!

I don't know if I'll ever get to the skill level of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto gonk It is an incredible piece... my only problem with it is that you can tell that Tchaikovsky probably wrote it in front of the piano, since if you look at the music you could play most of it no problem in front of the keyboard while on the violin it's a bit more awkward.  

Jaydoggy

Eloquent Friend

paintboxgirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm
Jaydoggy
I don't know if I'll ever get to the skill level of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto gonk It is an incredible piece... my only problem with it is that you can tell that Tchaikovsky probably wrote it in front of the piano, since if you look at the music you could play most of it no problem in front of the keyboard while on the violin it's a bit more awkward.

You're probably right about it being primarily composed on a keyboard since Tchaikovsky was, by his own admission, a lousy violin player. He wrote the piece in consultation with a friend of his who was a violinist (last name was Kotek). Leopold Auer (the person to whom the piece is dedicated) thought it "unviolinistic." Personally, I love it probably because it showcases almost all of my strengths and shows none of my weaknesses as a player.

What are you working on?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:24 am
I'd LOVE to one day play the tchaikovsky violin concerto. doin carmen fantasy right now though (sarasate)

As for me, I've been playing for about 11 years, my violin is named Napoleon...no particular reason, I just like the name :3

my FAVORITE thing to play is wieniawski's scherzo tarentelle whee [x] perhaps not that fast...I play only at 150 bpm lol. but it's just so much fun! 8D  

xMissMacabre

waterstream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:18 pm
I'm not a violinist, but I love the Tchaik violin concerto too! Such a powerful piece.

Also that Heifetz video is insane. My goodness!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:22 pm
I know, right? He makes that song look so easy too ;________________; I wish I could play half as good as him u.u  

xMissMacabre

lillyblossom19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:44 pm
Hey there. You can call me what you like except honey okay. I've palayed violin for 9 years now. My two favorit peices to play are Bach Double concerto and Give me your hand by Rory Dall O'Cathain. I like both classical and fiddle music but right now classical is above on th favorits list.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm
I've played for almost 3 years lol hehe ^^ i named mine Enchanted because it makes a beautiful sound when I play. Umm I like to play the Hedwig's Theme but I only memorized part of it and i don't have the music sheet D: same with "He's a Pirate". I love to play "Dragonhunter" and "Holding Back the Tears" by DBSK. tehe ^^  

ao no exocist

Seeker

noonnonon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:25 pm
I've only been playing for about 1 and a half years, but I'm attempting to learn Bruch's Violin Concerto 1...needless to say, its a bit of a stretch of my technical skills.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:03 pm
I've been playing violin for about 10 years now. I do love it, but by no means to I consider myself a great violinist. I'm actually a shy performer. I need some work though I've been told I have a good ear.

There are so many songs I've played that I've loved though their names (to my dread) escape me. I remember what they sound like, but that makes it hard for me to tell you people. ^^;;; I've generally played a lot of Mozart and Haydn because my orchestra teacher loves the martele style.

I haven't thought to name my instrument. Hmm...! I shall put this to thought!

Violet the Wind Master

play_with_fingerpaint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:35 am
I have been playing since I was three, soo.... that makes it 11 years, I guess. My normal violin's name is Stella (Star in Italian, which is my favorite language), but I also have a sexy white electric violin named Doux. He is amazing. My favorite composers (classical, anyhoo) are probably Bach, Tychoski (I'm a horrid speller), and Vivaldi. I absolutely LOVE to play Double Bach Concerto (I favor the 2nd part, but the 1st is playable), and the Four Seasons by Vivaldi. I play in my tiny little A-town's local orchestra, making me the 20 year junior of everyone else in the room. I am second chair, so yeah. I would really like to learn both piano and cello, since both of them are beautiful. Well... I think that's it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:07 pm
Tell about yourself! How long have you played?

10 years and counting !

Do you have a name for your instrument?
I have 2 violins. one is named brandon , the other daniel .

What's your favorite piece to play and what other fine pieces have you played?
i love to play Bach's partitas & sonata's.
mainly the Chiaconne & the partita in Emajor ...  

Music-Dude-Melodies

blue-grey-note

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:44 am
Wow, it's amazing to find that so many people enjoy Bach's pieces for violin. My personal favorite is Bach Chaconne, but I'm not learning it right now. I've only played the violin around three years, because my main instrument is piano, but I love it. I love it almost as much as piano, if not more.  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff