View Results

emeebee

Fashionable Nerd

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:26 am
UPDATE: My brother's life threatening pneumonia has now passed for the most part and is back at home. I'm so thankful that he is back home and his safety is really an answer to prayer.

UPDATE: My brother has just been admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and possibly blood sepsis too.

My brother has been a worry of mine for years. He's struggled with depression and many other things for years. He's not a believer and very much so pleased with himself for that. He needs prayer

The other day, I was in the car with him and he said something about killing himself before he got old because getting old is disgusting, who wants to be old and wrinkly he figures.

He said that and I'm just lost and so confused about what to do. I know he needs prayer so I'll definitely be praying fr him even more but that just didn't seem like I was doing all I could do.

I was reminded in that moment of the verse that says "cast all your cares upon Him" and I prayed for my brother.
Still, I wanted to bring this here, my brother needs so much prayer and I would like any advice any of you can give me. I really am SO lost and confused as to what to do about this.

Thank you so much.

Just Listen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm
Talk to your brother and first of all: see if he's serious about his claims. Even if he's just kidding, you need him to realize that suicide is NOT something to be joking about and it is very very real. If at all possible, tell a doctor about your worries with him, or even the head of whatever Church you belong to. See if you can get your brother immediate psychological help from a trained professional.

Leave it to that doctor. He/she will evaluate your brother's stance. If he already has a doctor, you need to convince him to talk to him/her about what he's been talking to you, and, if at all possible, get him on a SSRI (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor), which is a class of antidepressants used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, and some personality disorders.

You need to take this seriously and don't brush it off. Suicide is something you should ALWAYS take as a potential threat to someone's health, EVEN if they say they are kidding.

Pray if you have to. Prayer is a very very good way to relieve your stress about the situation and give you something to help cope, but praying will NOT fix the problem. Sometimes, you just need a third party.

b-asinine

emeebee

Fashionable Nerd

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Thank you so much, b-asinine. It really helps SO much to hear that. I'm just super nervous about bringing this to a third party, though... He's been on depression meds in the past and now he says that anyone who thought he needed to be on them was insane. He know that I know, obviously, I'm just afraid to send him over the edge... To make him want out of this life any sooner...
I know that someone needs to know. I just don't know who to tell.
I'd go to my mom, I go to her for most everything, but she is one of the people who hears about the bad in the world and just shuts it out. She'd confront my brother about it but if he denied ever saying that, much less meaning it, she'd believe him.
But you're right, I do need to tell someone. I just don't know who to tell.
Thank you so much, your post has really helped me out.

Just Listen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm
If you live in the United States, try 1-800-SUICIDE for someone to talk to and to try and get him some help. A lot of people who are prescribed anti-depressants go through strife about how others perceive them and their medication, and many start to believe that medicine = insanity. It doesn't. If he has had depression in the past, chances are he can have depression again. Depression is only a chemical imbalance where the neurotransmitters in the brain (specifically seratonin for people who are clinically depressed) get messed up. Sometimes, the only way to fix it is medication prescribed by a professional and getting someone (preferably a trained psychologist or therapist) for your brother to talk to.

Maybe by explaining this all to him, he will start to look at it scientifically rather than the "Oh, he must be crazy", outlook.

If you tell your mother and she still doesn't take any action, do it yourself. Try the number I already gave you - it's free and set-up for situations like this. Don't hesitate, even if he ends up saying it was a joke - he could be saying that just to stop you from worrying so he can go on with his suicidal intentions. I don't mean to sound ominous, but if you or your mother brush this off, it can cause him severe psychological damage - and maybe even his life.

b-asinine

Prayer Requests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff