Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Fertility and Gynecology Subforum
Advice please? [When will it end? D:] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I worry?
  Yes. Go to the doctor immediately!!! [sp?]
  Not that much, calm down a bit.
  Not at all girl, chill ouit and forget about it!
View Results

dark repository

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:54 pm
Hello. =]
Well, I went to the Gynecologist-Ob. for the 1st time a month ago. I'm 18 years old, sexually active, not pregnant. I was a little nervous, but it all wasn't as stressful/scary as I thought.
He said everything seemed normal when he checked my v****a and did the pap and that weird stuff, but when he checked my boobs he said he felt some kind of lobes in there. It scared me, because I felt them too but I thought "Meh, I'm 16~17, It's not like I'd have cancer"
I've always been overweight, so the first thing that came to my mind was that what I felt was just because I was chubby...

He ordered me to get a ultrasound, but not the one over the abdomen, one actually inside the v****a, just 'routine checking'. It was very discomforting, and it hurted a lot when they pushed a bit in to a side to capture images of my ovaries.
I got the results, and I got even more scared when I saw the images of my ovaries, with some black smaller sacks inside.
So I threw them to a side for a moment and took the little paper by the radiologist and it said: [summarizing]
Uterus is in normal shape and position and there are small cysts in the uterine cervix consistent with nabothian cysts.
There are follicular cysts in both ovaries with multiple cysts in the range of 5.0mm to 1.0cm in diameter.
Findings suggesting ovarian Hyperstimulation
{wtf?}
For the measures of my ovaries, and to be more than one, I think that sounds big =/

I used to have a perfectly normal period, until 4~6 months ago.
I used to get pain with my periods, "normal pain", and just in those days. Now I've been getting some weird cramps all of the sudden, no matter what time of the month I'm in.

So now I'm practically freaked out, I called to get an appointment right away and the stupid secretary was on the phone all day apparently stare
I'm going tomorrow anyways, just if something opens up. He's not that full on weekdays.

Few questions:
Has something like this ever happened to you?
Should I be prepared to something bad?
Does the irregularity of my period has to do with this cysts?
Do you have/had cysts? Do they hurt? They grow? gonk
I'm so confused. I know you guys are not doctors, but I needed to get it out of my chest and get a bit of advice.
Thanks in advance!
I've been spending so much money on doctors and tests this last year. gonk emo

EDIT:
Woah...That's... Big...
Thanks for reading sweatdrop redface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:32 am
I will give you basic information on your test results and tell you what those tests results mean for most women. These conditions/issues vary a bit from one person to the next though, so your doctor will be able to give you better information on how these issues will effect you specifically.

Nabothian cysts: These are cysts on the cervix that are found through a routine exam. They are benign, have no symptoms, do not require any treatment, are not a hazard to your health, but can be removed.

Follicular cysts
: Cysts on the ovaries found during routine exam or ultrasound. Follicular cysts are also benign and do not need to be removed in most cases. The cysts usually just rupture, bleed a little, go away, and come back later causing no harm. They may have no symptoms or they may cause some pain until they go away.

So you probably don't have too much about those two. Your follicular cysts are not very large. Follicular cysts can get much larger than that, in rare cases getting as large as 8cm.

Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS)
: Now this is the tricky one. I don't know if "ovarian hyperstimulation" is necessarily the same thing as "Ovarian Hypertsimulation Syndrome." If it is, this is the one you might have to watch out for, but it varies a lot from one person to the next, so your doctor will have to tell you what it will mean for you. It can be mild, moderate, or severe. Some women are taught the signs to watch for that may signal the condition is getting worse, given pills, and sent home. If it starts to get worse, the women may have to start doing things like drinking a lot of fluids and weighing in daily. More severe cases may require hospitalization.

Money: If you are spending a lot of money on this stuff, you might be able to look into a clinic. You can ask your doctor if he knows of any. If your doctor ends up saying something like, "You have nothing to worry about, but you should get paps twice a year instead of once a year so that we can keep an eye on this all," you might be able to go to a clinic like Planned Parenthood or Family Planning for your paps. They might not have the technology to treat you if something did worsen, but they should at least be able to say either, "Everything looks fine; you're all set," or "I think you should schedule an appointment with your usual doctor," after each pap. That way, you might get out of paying money for paps if nothing changes or worsens.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

dark repository

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm
Thanks a lot!
About the Money it's not just the ob-gyn. I have scoliosis and arthritis so I have to go frequently to a doctor since I'm in some kind of treatment. Plus I'm going also to a nutricionist to help me keep track of my alimentation because when I try eating healthy or diets I get very weak =/
...So my ovaries and my uterus are fine. He told me what you said, those cysts are completely normal. He suggested anti-conceptive pills to help me with the period, and since that was the original reason for the visit, I agreed.
I talked about this low-budget problem to my doctor and he refered me to"profamily", that would be our Puerto Rican version of that Planned Parenthood you told me. He told me I can get cheaper medicines/protection there and orientations and stuff.
He ordered me an US of my breats because he felt something weird again, he referred me to a surgeon, to get his opinion, and he told me I might be ordered to get a ... the one that smashes the boob, not the one with the gel and stuff [yes, my lack of english D: ]
AFTER ALL THIS, he told me there was nothing to be scared, but i'm scared anyways because there is breast cancer history in my family. I'm only 18, I wish to have kids in a future and be healthy =/

Oh well, I just hope it's all fine, I really don't need another weird condition D:

Thanks a lot again, I had the chance to read this a few minutes before being called, and I relaxed a lot more xd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 pm
Your thinking of a Mammogram. I have heard it is uncomfortable, but if he is suggesting it, then I would definetly say go get it, it is ALOT better at detecting problems in the breast than just feeling around with the hands. You can get breast cancer at any age I believe (I may be wrong on this, please correct me if so!) but it is more common in older women. If it is in the family then yeah, get it checked out ASAP. Cervical/Ovarian cancer runs in my family, I go in every year for my exam because of it, been doing it since I started my period when I was 11. When there is a family history of something, you always want to be extra careful!

My sister in law and my mother both had ovarian cysts. My moms went away on their own, she said they were painful when they popped but that was it, and my sister in laws wasnt painful until it got really large, then during an exam they pushed on it and it popped and she went to the hospital because it hurt so bad. But your doctor found them before they could ever get serious, and from what you have said they are normal anyways, so I wouldnt worry lol.

I have a few friends who have whacked out periods, they take birth control pills and it regulates them just fine. So I think if you get on those (I assume that is the same as anti-conception pills) then I bet you will do fine with the periods, usually they help with cramping as well and most help with acne, so if you have acne then it may help!

Good luck and let us know how your test results and mammogram turn out and stuff if you are ok with sharing that info!  

Ceceelia

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:00 am
Yes, please keep us posted!

And yes, it's possible for younger women to get breast cancer. I'm probably going to freak you out by saying this, but you'd probably hear it elsewhere anyways, so in case you don't want to read I'll put it in white text. ninja

So... yes younger women can get breast cancer, and the unfortunate thing is that it's usually more aggressive in younger women apparently, and the survival rates are supposedly lower than in older women. My mother is scared of me getting it now (she had it a couple of years ago, had the lump removed and had radiation) because it'd be so much worse for me at 21.

End of secret message.

If you'd like more information on breast cancer in young women (again, read at your own risk), this link is pretty good: http://www.abreastinthewest.ca/news2.cfm?Num=52
Google would also be a good source for more information. "Breast cancer in young women" are the key words I used in my search.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:20 am
Yeah, a mammogram. I usually have some trouble translating cience/medicine terms.

Well, I've always thought that it's better to know the truth even if it's hard than not knowing it and suffering something worse. At least I knew with anticipation what could happpen. I prefer to know all the possibilities/options.

What can I say? I'm not a very religious person, but I always say that god/ala/budha/flying spaghetti monster[xD] knows what he does. I called on friday and they were closed apparently, so I'm calling on Monday to get it done as soon as they can. As for the money, I'm saving up most of my pay checks and I told them I was able to work any day/any time, so that I can get more hours in the weeks.

I also forgot something. When he checked my breasts, he asked me if I consumed too much caffeine. I don't drink coffee, maybe one cup per 6~7 months, and I don't drink too much soda. He went like "Really?, Oh well, try to lower that. It's not too much, but you should eliminate caffeine, or at least for now." He also told me to start getting vitamin E-400 pills o.O
Does that has to do something with breast cancer or having lobes, tumors or anything?
I really didn't understood the root of that, but I didn't asked... my mind was all spaced out at that moment worrying about all the other stuff.

and again THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AND THE SUPPORT!!! blaugh blaugh blaugh mrgreen

dark repository

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:48 pm
You're most welcome! 4laugh heart That's what we're here for.

I found this online, about how Vitamin E supposedly lowers one's risk of breast cancer: http://breastcancer.about.com/b/2007/06/25/vitamin-e-lowers-breast-cancer-risk-and-moderates-hot-flashes.htm

However, googling "Vitamin E and breast cancer" will give you links with mixed results. Some sites, like the link above, say that taking Vitamin E decreases the risk of breast cancer in women. Other sites say that there is no correlation. Your doctor might've prescribed it to be on the safe side.

Growing up, vitamin E supplements were one of many herbal supplemental things my mother took to try and stay healthy. In retrospect it might not've helped much, since my mother got breast cancer at 54 anyways, but I think she took them more to reduce coldsore breakouts than to reduce breast cancer.

At any rate, taking vitamin E won't hurt you as long as you stay within the recommended dosage range. Taking too much could hurt you, so find out how much you're supposed to take a day and stick to that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 am
Thanks. He told me the amount and all. I'll go get them tomorrow since I'm free from work.
Updates:
-I called today for the ultrasound and they had open space for next week! I assume the results wont take more than a week (as for I know how they work and it's 3~7 days) so I called also the surgeon and the closest open space was august 12 xp . I'll keep calling the surgeon because that's the day I start classes, and since I don't own a car it's kinda hard for me to get there in one hour, because I'd have to either walk or walk and wait for a bus gonk .
-I keep calling Profamily and nothing emo , so I guess I'll check out how much they cost and how much I have to pay and if it's not too much I'll buy them at the pharmacy tomorrow.
-My period is late... again -______-''

dark repository

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 am
*hug* Stress maybe? Hope it comes soon so you can stop worrying.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:39 am
Here's why he was asking about caffeine:

"One cup of coffee, one chocolate bar, one cup of tea a day is enough to produce lumpiness and tenderness in some women who are sensitive to caffeine...

There is no proof that caffeine-related substances cause cancer, but they do cause confusion when fluid accumulates in the breast. For this reason, if you or your doctor find a lump, we would recommend stopping caffeine to see if the lump goes away. If it does, then the lump was due to fluid retention—not cancer. "
http://www.ewbc.com/breast_health/caffeine.html  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Nikolita
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:19 am
LorienLlewellyn
Here's why he was asking about caffeine:

"One cup of coffee, one chocolate bar, one cup of tea a day is enough to produce lumpiness and tenderness in some women who are sensitive to caffeine...

There is no proof that caffeine-related substances cause cancer, but they do cause confusion when fluid accumulates in the breast. For this reason, if you or your doctor find a lump, we would recommend stopping caffeine to see if the lump goes away. If it does, then the lump was due to fluid retention—not cancer. "
http://www.ewbc.com/breast_health/caffeine.html

Awesome, thanks Lorien!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:17 am
Thanks a lot!
And still no period stare gonk
It wouldn't be the 1st time it gets late for more than a few days, but if my period is not here by monday, I'll go get a pregnancy test. I highly doubt it, but if I were I can't get the sonomammogram done, and my appointment is for the 29th.
I've been having tiny cramps, but still nothing -_-''

dark repository

dark repository

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 pm
No period. Two negative pregnancy tests. I'll go tomorrow to get the sonomammogram done ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:18 pm
-Fire-Aqua-Flames-
No period. Two negative pregnancy tests. I'll go tomorrow to get the sonomammogram done ^^

I hope everything's ok! Please keep us posted. heart  

Nikolita
Captain

dark repository

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:04 am
It hurted a bit emo
So I hope I don't have to get the mammogram done, I'm sure that one would hurt even more D:
They didn't told me anything, and the results come in a week.
*crosses fingers*  
Fertility and Gynecology Subforum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces