Quote:
VoiceOfDoom1739 (10:46:39 PM): At the desert's edge, Sepoko sat clawing at the sand because he just couldn't stand to sit still. He wasn't used to a dry heat like this, and all too frequently he had to run to the waterhole to bathe himself because he felt so rediculously, uncomfortably dry and parched. Sometimes he felt the sun might burn him right up, but Ilori always had some shade for him to sit in.

None of that was on his mind right now, though, because Ilori had gone off to fight. Sepoko had wanted to go with him, wanted to protect him, but Ilori had told him to stay put and wait for him. It was probably for the best... Sepoko was never a fighter, and being a runt he didn't have much physical strength to his name. He also did tend towards bouts of paranoia that could paralyze him during a fight. But... Ilori had never been a fighter either, and that's what terrified him. He hated it when Ilori went off to battle... it made his stomach sick until he saw his face again.

So Sepoko dug his paws into the sand, stared at the horizon, and waited...

demonstrationevi (10:54:37 PM): Ilori was limping... and bleeding... He had been sent back after the last fight, to someone who could treat the wounds that the vultures had left on him. Everyone had said that it hadn't been serious... but he had been able to tell from their expressions that it was likely quite the opposite from that. If that hadn't been the case, they wouldn't have sent him back. That... and he hurt... everywhere...

He had several cuts above his face... some of them were deep. Whatever had happened to his front leg had been rather brutal, but he didn't really want to look at it just now. It hurt too much... really, really hurt too much. Someone had put some odd leaves on it, but it hadn't done much for him. Then they had sent him back... everyone had been too busy for someone to bring him there. So... maybe it wasn't that bad then? Maybe?

He could see the pridal area.... he was getting closer... they had sent him with a message... but he was having a little bit of trouble remembering what it was. He was hurting in more places than just his leg and his face... but where else could he have been hurt...? He wondered where his family was... at least Sepoko was safe....

VoiceOfDoom1739 (11:00:09 PM): Sepoko didn't even recognize him at first. He looked to be some elderly lion, perhaps one of the healers, limping back from the battlefield's edge, all spattered with other lions' blood... a grizzly sight. It took a lot of staring on Sepoko's part to realize this was no elderly lion... this was his Ilori, all torn up and trembling, and... "Oh... god..." Sepoko choked. He leapt to all fours and went bounding for him. "ILORI!"

He skidded to a stop in the sand before his old friend and threw his paws around him, shaking almost as bad as he was. "Are... are you okay..." He looked him over. Oh, he looked even worse from up close. Sepoko bit his lip. "No, you're not okay are you?" He stared deep into Ilori's eyes, forlorn.

demonstrationevi (11:04:25 PM): Ilori looked up at him, collapsing a little into Sepoko, but still managing to hold himself up... a little bit anyway. "No... not really..." He admitted, sounding sheepish... even at a time like this. "I finally did something useful... but... I kinda got... swarmed... there were a lot of them..." He mumbled before looking up, squinting through the blood on his face, "I was useful... I think I did something useful..." his face squinted slightly, "I hope I did something useful..."

He stumbled slightly, "I think... I'd like to go home now..." He muttered as coherently as he could, "Home is good... there's water there... and I think I have something in my eye... I hope it isn't mine...."

VoiceOfDoom1739 (11:09:41 PM): Sepoko couldn't stop staring at all Ilori's wounds, as much as he didn't want to look at them, horrified. God... he didn't think vultures could do this much damage to a lion. They'd always struck him as such cowardly birds. But no... no... he couldn't let himself get caught up with that now. He had to be strong. He had to be there for Ilori. Ilori needed him. "I'm sure you were useful, 'Lori. I'm sure you did great service to your family and the pride." He nodded fervently. "Yes. I'm certain." He ran a paw back over Ilori's matted, bloodstained mane, to reassure him.

He smiled as best he could, though the corners of his lips shook. "Of course. Of course, 'Lori." He stooped down low and pulled Ilori up onto his back as carefully as he could. "Let me help... I'll bring you home." He stood, a little shaky under Ilori's weight (god, when had he gotten so big?), and began to make for the pridal lands. "We'll get some water, and I'll check your eye... it'll be fine. Just hang on best you can and tell me if I'm hurting you or if you need mem to stop." And so Sepoko marched on. Really, it wasn't too far, but Sepoko felt like he was preparing for a death march. Fortunately, the weight of his fear made Ilori seem just a little lighter.

demonstrationevi (11:18:44 PM): Ilori smiled a little, despite the rather blinding pain that was scorching itself through his body. He was getting very thirsty... but he had found Sepoko. That made everything better... he had missed the other lion, when he went to fight. But it wasn't as though he could take Sepoko with him... he could get hurt in all the fighting. Rather like Ilori had been hurt, when he thought about it, "I'm glad I found you... you're always who I want to come back and see..." he mumbled, trying his best to help Sepoko walk. He wasn't doing a very good job.

"Sorry I'm so heavy..." He mumbled, "Mom says it's because I'm so lazy... wasn't today... I helped... until someone had to come and rescue me... I get myself into trouble all the time..." He smiled a little more and closed his eyes, though he wasn't really sleepy... just exhausted. "I wanted to see you... I wanted to make you proud of me... silly of me, right? Because you don't like fighting..."

VoiceOfDoom1739 (11:29:14 PM): A few rogue tears trickled down Sepoko's face before he could force them back, and a noise that was half between a laugh and a sob escaped his throat. "Well... I'm glad I found you too. Glad I could be here for you." He rolled his shoulders a little to shift the weight on his back and keep his spine in check. His heart was was warmed as much as it was pained by the way Ilori spoke now.

He shook his head very slightly, careful not to dislodge his passenger with his movements. Every step was made very deliberately. "No, don't appologize," he said. "It's nothing at all. I'm just not used to you being bigger than me, is all. I'm fine. You're fine." He watched the gradual, one by one tread of his paws, watched where each one fell and printed the sand. If they were in the savannah, this walk wouldn't be half as hard--sand was terrible to walk on. And didn't Ilori's words just keep tearing at his heart? Sepoko had lived his life being so docile, so subservient, never daring to do anything that had even the slightest chance of hurting someone, because every other soul's wellbeing always came first. But now? He wanted to find whoever it was who made Ilori feel like he was lazy and useless and hurt them, hurt them for shaking the younger lion's confidence so. The thoughts... scared him. He did his best to push them away.

Carefully, Sepoko glanced back at Ilori throught he corner of his eye and tried to smile. "I am proud of you," he said. "You're so brave... and dedicated. I've always been proud of you. You don't need to prove anything to me." He wanted to hold him right now, but he knew it would be dangerous considering his injuries.

He set his eyes straight forward and marched on. "Not too far. Just a little further now."

demonstrationevi (11:38:55 PM): Ilori perked up the moment that Sepoko said he was proud of him. He smiled, despite the fact that it hurt a little bit... but he was enthused. He was happier. His parents had always said that they loved him... but proud? No one had ever said that they were proud of him before. He couldn't believe that he loved being told that so much. Perhaps he would have to make more of a habit of doing that... only maybe in a less painful way... a much less painful way, preferably.

"You're really proud of me...?" Ilori asked, sounding happy enough to cry, "That makes me happy... that makes me so happy..." He leaned his head on Sepoko's shoulder, "I'll be okay... I'll be okay... I'm sorry I'm bigger than you are though... I'm awfully heavy..." He mumbled, but he sounded better now. Like he was in less pain this time. "I'll be okay... as soon as we go back... I'll have a drink... get this stuff out of my eyes... we'll have a party... you and me... our own private party..."

Now he knew he was talking jibberish. Still... he wanted to say something... something he couldn't quite place... "I'm happy to see you Sepoko... I'm always happy to see you... wierd and funny right?" He grinned, wincing slightly at the pain, "Ever since we were little... I like seeing you... more than anyone else... I want to keep you safe..."

VoiceOfDoom1739 (11:47:44 PM): Just keep moving, Sepoko told himself. It was a mantra he kept running through his head. Just keep moving. Just keep moving. They'd be fine if he just kept moving. It nearly froze him, though, to hear Ilori so moved, and he laughed lightly. "I'm glad you're happy," he said. Maybe if he kept him happy enough he'd forget how badly hurt he was. The thought of it made even Sepoko cringe. "And stop appologizing. Really. You've got nothing to appologize for." Just keep moving. "Just hang in there. We're almost home. We'll get you all taken care of. And... a party would be nice..." He smirked. Leave it to Ilori to say such things when he was hurt. Always on the light-hearted side of things...

Sepoko's heart was racing, every word of Ilori's driving it just a bit faster. He stared intently ahead to distract himself from what his racing heart was trying to tell him. "Not so weird," he said. "No. Not weird at all. I'm always happy to see you too. You're very important to me. You've taught me so many things about living... if that makes sense. I don't know. My life was always about others before I met you... you made me learn how to live my life for me." He laughed aloud at the irony of the situation. "And yet in learning that, it just made me want to find you and stay with you and take care of you too... no, now that's funny..." He paused briefly to catch his breath... but only briefly. He wouldn't allow himself to stop long. Ilori needed to get home. Inhaling deeply, Sepoko marched on.

demonstrationevi (11:55:15 PM): Ilori listened in, taking comfort in what Sepoko told him. That he wasn't being silly... because in a way he certainly felt that way. Also that he was talking about it while he was bleeding all over the place... probably on Sepoko as well. He didn't want to do that to him. He didn't want to make Sepoko dirty because of him... "I care about you... more than I care about anybody else... I'll keep you safe... because you're special... you're my special..."

He didn't continue, mostly because he really wanted something to drink... and they had to be getting close now. Then, once he was feeling better... he would throw a little private party for the two of them... because he didn't want the next fight -if there was a next fight- to be the last fight... because he wanted to stay with Sepoko because... because... he... There was a word for what he felt, he was quite certain of that, but he couldn't actually remember what it was.

He was sure it would come to him after he'd taken a rest.

VoiceOfDoom1739 (12:06:35 AM): For the moment, Sepoko had nothing to say... only listened, absorbing every word, taking it in and holding it dear. Ilori was so important to him and to hear that he was important to him too meant a lot to Sepoko. But... he didn't know what to say. He knew he felt similar sentiments towards him but... god, what did it mean? What was he thinking. He didn't know. He couldn't think straight. He just needed to get Ilori home.

It seemed like forever before they were finally at the waterhole's edge. "Okay. Okay. Here we are." He knelt down and, as carefully as possible, let him slide down off his back, trying to arrange him so his head was at the water's edge and he wouldn't have to move far to get a drink. With Ilori safely on the ground, Sepoko wet his paws and started scooping up water to rinse out Ilori's wounds. They'd have to be cleaned carefully so Ilori wouldn't get any infections. "Stop me if it stings too much, or if I hurt you." He needed to do this for Ilori, needed to keep him clean and safe and well because...

...because why?

He shook his head and focused on the cleaning.

demonstrationevi (12:16:08 AM): "You could never hurt me... not you..." Ilori promised after he had dipped his head to drink. He felt better after that. Not much better, but better than he had been. Despite what he had said, it did sting a little getting his wounds cleaned. There was sand and grit and blood inside them... none of which he found entirely pleasent. Especially in addition to the occasional feather he had to spit out. Stupid fighting. Now his mouth felt like a bird had moved in and started living there...

And he still couldn't remember the right word... the word he had wanted to say to Sepoko... He whimpered a little at one of the deep cuts that had particularily hurt him. The one on his leg that the others had looked at before they sent him back... It stung. Or rather burned. Or rather, really, really hurt. It was pretty deep, for one of those stupid vultures... everything else felt like a scratch compared to that one. He could remember the vulture grabbing onto him and trying to drag him off... but he had been able to tear it's throat out. Still, he hadn't managed to do it without tearing at the claws burried in his skin.

He didn't want to think about what would have happened if he hadn't fought back... he would have never seen Sepoko again... Sepoko...

"...Firefly..." Ilori mumbled, even though his whole body was shaking with pain that wouldn't stop. It was better with Sepoko there... but it still hurt... and he was fairly certain that he might be going into shock. Now that he had finally stopped moving, everything was sinking in a little... but he had Sepoko. Sepoko wouldn't let anything happen to him...

VoiceOfDoom1739 (12:27:14 AM): Sepoko worked diligently, making sure every wound was clean. It was making him a little sick to his stomach, the sight of all this hurt on his dear Ilori. Sepoko wouldn't have it. He wanted to kill the damn birds. This thought was driven almost immediately out of his mind, however, by a wince on Ilori's part. Sepoko hesitated... he hated to see Ilori in pain. He knew he was hurting Ilori... knew Ilori was humoring him... but... at the same time, he knew it needed to be done. So, pursing his lips to keep himself from sobbing, he kept working. "Just a little more, 'kay?" he told him. "We're almost done."

That leg wound... god. Would Ilori be able to walk right after this? Sepoko wasn't sure. Well... if Ilori couldn't walk... then Sepoko would carry him. He'd get stronger for him, lead him wherever they had to go. Ilori would never get left behind so long as Sepoko was there. He'd take care of him.

Firefly? Sepoko glanced up briefly from his duties to see it... only to find nothing there. "Ilori... I don't see any fireflies." His voice was strained with the growing fear he felt. Ilori was seeing things... he was getting weaker. Hastily he started to wash wounds again. "I think you need a little more water, Ilori. Drink." Sepoko's paws shook, and he lost a lot of water on the ground as he tried to bring it to Ilori to wash him. He'd make Ilori safe. He'd take care of him. They'd be okay together.

demonstrationevi (12:37:37 AM): "I can do that..." Ilori mumbled, taking another drink before he looked up again, "I was thinking about... when... the first night we met... with all the fireflies... and then we meet again... and there are more of them... I think that's..." He smiled a little, despite the fact that he still winced over the wounds, "I think it's neat... that we've met with them... it makes it seem... prettier... I'd like to chase them again. With you. Like we did when we first met..." He winced again, but held back the tears. He couldn't cry. Not now. Brave face... no matter how much it hurt, he had to keep on a brave face. This would already be hard enough for Sepoko... so, brave face.

"I don't think I want to fight anymore..." Ilori mentioned, after he took another sip of water, "It gets me into trouble... but the kind of trouble that hurts..." He looked back at Sepoko, "...Will you stay with me...? Until it gets better... or stops hurting maybe... but I don't... I think I'd miss you too much... if you go back home and leave me here... I want to stay with you... Can I stay with you?"

VoiceOfDoom1739 (12:45:05 AM): Sepoko sighed, and struggled to hold himself together and keep from shaking. He could hear the tremble in Ilori's voice. Ilori couldn't hide his emotions from Sepoko, no. He couldn't help but smile a little, albeit in a twisted, pained way, thinking back on their meetings too. "I know... it's like they were trying to tell us something... like they were trying to tell us we were supposed to be together, huh?" He chuckled a little. That was silly, wasn't it?

Wasn't it?

He found he had blanked out, staring into space, searching for distant thoughts. He didn't realize how far gone he was until Ilori spoke again. He glanced down, quickly, and gulped. Honestly, he didn't think Ilori could fight anymore, even if he wanted to. Not with those wounds. "You've helped enough," he told him. "You've done your part. You don't have to fight anymore."

But the next thing he said... really made him lose control. He sobbed, unable to hold back any longer, and his eyes went wet. "Of course!" he said, dropping to the ground to come face to face with Ilori. "Of course I'll stay with you. I'll stay anywhere with you, as long as you want me and need me. I want to be here for you. I want to help you. I... I... I don't think I want to go anywhere without you. Not anymore. Not that I have you back." In fact, he found that being down here, so close, face to face with Ilori... it felt right. It felt like he belonged here with him. He honestly couldn't imagine a world without Ilori now...

demonstrationevi (12:54:49 AM): "I hope that's what they were trying to say..." Ilori said with a small smile, "Because if they were... I feel like listening to them. They're smart little things, those fireflies... even if they are pretty easy to catch... or at least we always could..." He winced a little again, "I wish we were kids again... we were good at being kids... I'm not too good with this big grown up warrior thing..."

He lay down his head and curled up a little, resting his eyes, "I'm glad I helped... I hope I helped you out too... I did everything I could... I think I did everything right... except the running off and getting attacked thing..." he curled in a little bit more, "I don't like birds so much anymore... they're nasty sometimes..."

He looked up, a little suprised when he realized that he had made Sepoko cry. He sat up a little bit, and moved closer, tears suddenly in his eyes, but they weren't from pain this time. He looked... really quite happy for someone who had been nearly killed by a flock of vultures. Sepoko wanted to stay with him... he wanted to stay with Sepoko... He didn't want to be without him... "Sepoko... I may be slightly... um... delusional right now... But I think I'm going to kiss you right now. I'm kinda nervous about it... but I think I might do it anyway..."

VoiceOfDoom1739 (1:08:07 AM): Sepoko nodded, and was concerned about how not-absurd the idea of getting messages from insects was starting to feel to him. His mother would be proud... probably. For a split second, Sepoko wondered how his mother was doing without him... but he knew his mother was a resourceful lioness and would be doing just fine, so his attentions shifted back to Ilori. "I don't think being grown up's so bad," said Sepoko. Granted, he might be biased considering he'd had a particularly awful cubhood. "I don't think it's all wars... I don't think the Kizingo'Zaa have wars at all. They just sit around talking to themselves all day and playing in the sea." He snorted a little. That's probably why mom picked it.

He smirked a little and ruffled Ilori's mane. "Well... I'll protect you from the birds now. Promise."

But his paw was quickly withdrawn when Ilori reacted with such surprise. Sepoko shuffled back a little. He wasn't sure Ilori should be sitting, especially so abruptly, considering his injuries. Had he said something wrong? But no, Ilori was smiling, even through his own tears. Sepoko sat frozen still for some time and heard Ilori out. His ears flattened back as he was surprised by Ilori's admission. Surprised... but not upset. In fact, he found he rather liked the sound of it. "I think that'd be just fine," he told him, and shuffled back a little closer, leaning forward expectantly. He waited for Ilori to initiate it... Sepoko was never one to do anything first or take anything for himself.

demonstrationevi (1:16:54 AM): Ilori smiled a little more, "Good... because you're being fine with it makes it a lot easier to do." He admitted, before he leaned in and kisses Sepoko... which was something he had never done with anyone before, so he had no idea how -except from what he had seen his parents do on occasion- and then there was something else... the fact that moving a lot hurt. So he had to stop, "I think I'd like to try that again when I don't hurt this much..." He mumbled, collapsing back down a little, "But I don't think... I don't think I don't want to do that again."

He could remember it now. He could remember the word he was looking for. He curled back up, looking much more peaceful now. He seemed somewhat content... though still hurting quite a bit. "I think the fireflies were telling me... or maybe you... or one of us anyway... that I kinda sorta..." His nose twitched a little, "I think that I just... maybe..." There was that word, slipping away again. He really needed to be more prepared for this conversation.

"I think... when this is all over... and I'm better... I want to go home with you... where they don't fight... I want to see your mom again... I want to be able to be lazy and silly and not worry about someone attacking me..." He opened his eyes and looked up at Sepoko, "I think I might want to stay with you forever... and ever... and ever... and ever..." He wanted to say 'ever' a few more times, but he decided to stop there. He was barely conscious and he was dumping out his feelings on Sepoko... maybe he needed to sleep a bit more before he did any more of that.

VoiceOfDoom1739 (1:24:11 AM): Sepoko smiled at Ilori briefly before the boy leaned in and closed the space between him. With Ilori's lips on him, Sepoko felt warm, felt like he was glowing like the fireflies that always followed them. As Ilori pulled away Sepoko sighed contentedly. It was short... but it was perfect. It was right. "Of course," he said. "You can do that any time you want." He reached out to catch Ilori as he crumpled a little, to help ease him back to the ground.

He sat quietly. The word that was so escaping Ilori... Sepoko could almost hear it too. But the word was lost as soon as Ilori spoke again. He smiled and laid his paw over him. "You can stay with me as long as you want... even forever." He chuckled a little. Ilori was so cute. In many ways he was still much like the little cub that had so captivated him... still had the same radiating energy. He leaned down and touched his nose to Ilori's head. "But I think you should rest now," he whispered. "Rest and heal and gain your strength. I'll be here by your side the whole time..."

demonstrationevi (1:28:30 AM): Ilori smiled a little and snuggled into Sepoko, "When I wake up... can the first thing I see be you? Because..." He yawned and closed his eyes, "If I'm going to spend forever with you... I want it to start now-ish... because... I don't know how long forever is and..." He lay down his head and closed his eyes, "I love you Sepoko... lots..." He was going to say a few more 'lots' too, since he could finally remember the word he had been trying to figure out for so long. But then he fell asleep... but he was alright with that. He didn't think he needed to add any more lots.

He had a feeling Sepoko got what he was trying to say.