Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:13 am

Well, I've heard a lot of things... and the Bible kind of assures that Magic is real, but would it be a sin to, you know, use magic? Practice magic and the manipulation of nature, etc.? Just wondering your thoughts on this~

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:42 am
people fear what they do not understand

magic in biblical terms is nothing more then unexplained happenings  

lordstar

Ricette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:22 am
While I practice my own brand of magic, I do not see it as a sin as I do not use it in a harmful manner. Now if it is used in a harmful way, then its an abomination. Thats my take.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 am
Ricette
While I practice my own brand of magic, I do not see it as a sin as I do not use it in a harmful manner. Now if it is used in a harmful way, then its an abomination. Thats my take.

Oh? That cool~ What do you practice?

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

crazie-edddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:50 pm
OF course it is, since miracles (and i mean like godly miracles, water to wine and stuff) then if we use magic it is NOT coming from the power of god, and if not from god than who else but Satan. using magic shows god that you do not trust in his power to lead you in the rite way. so i recommend that you just dont do magic. it is very bad.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 pm
crazie-edddy
OF course it is, since miracles (and i mean like godly miracles, water to wine and stuff) then if we use magic it is NOT coming from the power of god, and if not from god than who else but Satan. using magic shows god that you do not trust in his power to lead you in the rite way. so i recommend that you just dont do magic. it is very bad.

Who else? How about the inherent properties of nature? Is alchemical tansmutation devil-work?  

divineseraph

android_22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:03 pm
divineseraph
crazie-edddy
OF course it is, since miracles (and i mean like godly miracles, water to wine and stuff) then if we use magic it is NOT coming from the power of god, and if not from god than who else but Satan. using magic shows god that you do not trust in his power to lead you in the right way. So I recommend that you just don't do magic. it is very bad.

Who else? How about the inherent properties of nature? Is alchemical transmutation devil-work?

No offense but to this guy (crazie-edddy) it most likely is. And I would have to disagree with him completely.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:05 pm
android_22
divineseraph
crazie-edddy
OF course it is, since miracles (and i mean like godly miracles, water to wine and stuff) then if we use magic it is NOT coming from the power of god, and if not from god than who else but Satan. using magic shows god that you do not trust in his power to lead you in the right way. So I recommend that you just don't do magic. it is very bad.

Who else? How about the inherent properties of nature? Is alchemical transmutation devil-work?

No offense but to this guy (crazie-edddy) it most likely is. And I would have to disagree with him completely.

So, the inherent properties of nature are evil? Solidifying of crystals is evil? If not, why is the same process in a vial any more evil? If the digestion of foods in the stomach acid is not evil, why is the digestion of metals in the alembic evil?

If nature is bendable with the mind, why is this more evil than bending it with the hands? It is a fact that using chi, one can literally send force through a wall to hit something on the other side. Is this evil? It is using one's body and one's understanding of force to bend the rules of nature. If this isn't a form of magic, I don't know what is.  

divineseraph

Ablazed
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:47 am
No, the inherent properties of nature are not evil. "alchemy" otherwise known as CHEMISTRY is not an evil science. It's certainly not magic, although it has some effects that inspire awe.

The word magic is applied to SO MANY things, so it's difficult to go through each instance specifically and say which is good or bad.

What we as Christians are commanded: Do not seek to be as powerful as God. That's what the whole original sin thing was all about. If you can apply that to specific "magic" practices - it's probably a practice you should avoid.

Don't try to exert control over someone, ie, casting spells with ill intent over them.

That's the kind of thing we're told not to do.

Bear this in mind also: "magic" practices can open some bad doorways. In New Testament times, when healing miracles were performed, people accused the healers of being influenced by demons. What does this tell you? It means that demons can manipulate you more than you think. It is POSSIBLE to heal someone with the help of a demon, and very dangerous and horrible for your soul. It's safer to avoid most "magic" practices in general.

NOTE: I said IN GENERAL.

Most of what popular society considers magic can actually be explained by science.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:49 pm
Ablazed
No, the inherent properties of nature are not evil. "alchemy" otherwise known as CHEMISTRY is not an evil science. It's certainly not magic, although it has some effects that inspire awe.

The word magic is applied to SO MANY things, so it's difficult to go through each instance specifically and say which is good or bad.

What we as Christians are commanded: Do not seek to be as powerful as God. That's what the whole original sin thing was all about. If you can apply that to specific "magic" practices - it's probably a practice you should avoid.

Don't try to exert control over someone, ie, casting spells with ill intent over them.

That's the kind of thing we're told not to do.

Bear this in mind also: "magic" practices can open some bad doorways. In New Testament times, when healing miracles were performed, people accused the healers of being influenced by demons. What does this tell you? It means that demons can manipulate you more than you think. It is POSSIBLE to heal someone with the help of a demon, and very dangerous and horrible for your soul. It's safer to avoid most "magic" practices in general.

NOTE: I said IN GENERAL.

Most of what popular society considers magic can actually be explained by science.

I like what your saying, friend. I do not view magick as a evil thing in any way, however magick is indeed VERY dangerous...its kinda like playing with fire, at some point you will likely get burned. Those who practice magick are told that everything comes around again, if you cast a spell it will most likely come back at you three times of what you sent out, therefore magick used in evil means such as curses and hexes is very much a dangerous thing to do and most witches do not do this...not only in the effort to help others but to help themselves because it will come back at them three times as worse. Magick does not put you on the status of God or Gods, or whatever you know to be a divine being, magick can't go that far people.

Although I am not of your religion, and view magick as a normal thing and it should not be criticized, I agree with your statement, it should most likely not be practiced in such a excessive manner or be practiced at all by some. It is not a simple task to perform and is can be again very dangerous. If you don't feel it, don't do it. Its for your own safety. Only if you see it as part of your path should you do it. This however doesn't stop you from knowing about it.
One of the worst things you can do is criticize something you know nothing about.

Magick is not evil, but by no means is it a easy and simple task, some parental assembly may be required XD  

android_22

Siren of Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:57 pm
erm...as far as weiji*sp?* boards and tarot cards and magic of spells and such go, i wouldn't go near it personally and wouldn't suggest it.

I think that our God has enough power, why do we need magic? If you read the book "this present darkness" you'll know what i mean...
God's got pretty tight things up his sleeve too ya know :p  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 am
Siren of Saturn
erm...as far as weiji*sp?* boards and tarot cards and magic of spells and such go, i wouldn't go near it personally and wouldn't suggest it.

I think that our God has enough power, why do we need magic? If you read the book "this present darkness" you'll know what i mean...

By that logic, why take medicine? That's powerful stuff, cures diseases quite unnaturally. God is powerful enough, why do we need medicine, or machinery?

The answer is, of course, to do things on earth more easily and with less danger. So, if some form of magic does exist, then it is no more evil than taking pepto for an upset stomach rather than praying, or using a car instead of your feet, or a shovel rather than your hands.  

divineseraph

b-asinine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am
I don't believe in magic. Just chance and science.

-b.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:24 pm
divineseraph
Siren of Saturn

By that logic, why take medicine? That's powerful stuff, cures diseases quite unnaturally. God is powerful enough, why do we need medicine, or machinery?

The answer is, of course, to do things on earth more easily and with less danger. So, if some form of magic does exist, then it is no more evil than taking pepto for an upset stomach rather than praying, or using a car instead of your feet, or a shovel rather than your hands.
User Image
Jesus...

Wow, you are stubborn AND ignorant... >_>

Are you even a Christian, just out of curiosity~

Look at it this way - If God were to intervene with every little thing, "ouch! I have a stomach ache" or "Oh! I have the Stomach Flu!" we would only use God and not recognize his true love. Thus God has blessed the human race with medicine, and that is why we use it, no? God has given us something, to help us, then why not use it? Of course, we should always pray for help when we get sick, but seriously... Magic is far different than medicine... stare

User Image
...My Lord, Savior, and Friend

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

Siren of Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:36 am
divineseraph
Siren of Saturn

Eh, your quite right...

why do we have to take medicine? Heh. My dad has ALS or Lu Gerick's disease and was diagnosed in 2001. By all medical textbooks and scientific research, he shouldn't be alive. Yet he just walked out my back door. Walked..mind you. He shouldn't even be doing that.

But yes, i do realize medicine does help heaps in some situations,but i still believe God has the ultimate power to heal. But as far as comparing medicine to magic, you must ask..what relm is this coming from? Is it from God, or Satan? What is the origin? Even come Eastern medicine today has roots in the occult, i won't go near that stuff either. And i'm not talking about freaking Pepto or whatever, i mean like those homeopathic doctors that have shrines and all those other crazy things that they do. Some of it may work, but where are they getting their power from? I wouldn't want something healing me if the power came from an evil or pagan source.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff