Tesar Eshne

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:03 am
Shangroulu
Da_Nuke
I would definitely use it for private communication between my friends.

Problem is, most of my friends already have a hard enough time with English 101 crying
that sucks... I finally found a friend who is making some of his own!! yay!

I suck at English, but it helps me be less focused with exact comparison with languages to English, in this way they are easier to learn for me.

Similarly, I also found my first Conlanging Friend this Summer. It was quite interesting as she was more focused on verbal memorization and vocabulary while I was more focused on translation and grammar.

So she could occasionally remark in her language, which had very similar to English grammar (Similar Word Order, althought the way that modifiers work was slightly more complicated.) While I had to sit down and laboriously translate phrases. (Most of the effort being to make up the vocabulary...)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:15 pm
Tesar Eshne
Shangroulu
Da_Nuke
I would definitely use it for private communication between my friends.

Problem is, most of my friends already have a hard enough time with English 101 crying
that sucks... I finally found a friend who is making some of his own!! yay!

I suck at English, but it helps me be less focused with exact comparison with languages to English, in this way they are easier to learn for me.

Similarly, I also found my first Conlanging Friend this Summer. It was quite interesting as she was more focused on verbal memorization and vocabulary while I was more focused on translation and grammar.

So she could occasionally remark in her language, which had very similar to English grammar (Similar Word Order, althought the way that modifiers work was slightly more complicated.) While I had to sit down and laboriously translate phrases. (Most of the effort being to make up the vocabulary...)
That's so cool! I always start by mapping out the letters I will be using, this way I have a base sound for the language, and then from there I begin making general terms like yes, no, you, me, hello, good bye and other basics, and from there I decide what the language should be written as, and from there I begin grammar work to make the language sound flowing and original. Just today at DQ I decided to make a negative thing that I cant really explain... it was so cool though! you put the word meaning Not/NO/isn't/don't after the subject, and then after the word being negated simply put either an M if ended with vowel, or em/am if ending in consonant (the e and a change depending on the vowel in front of the last consonant.) lol very interesting I think...  

Song Wei

Tesar Eshne

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:18 pm
Shangroulu
That's so cool! I always start by mapping out the letters I will be using, this way I have a base sound for the language, and then from there I begin making general terms like yes, no, you, me, hello, good bye and other basics, and from there I decide what the language should be written as, and from there I begin grammar work to make the language sound flowing and original. Just today at DQ I decided to make a negative thing that I cant really explain... it was so cool though! you put the word meaning Not/NO/isn't/don't after the subject, and then after the word being negated simply put either an M if ended with vowel, or em/am if ending in consonant (the e and a change depending on the vowel in front of the last consonant.) lol very interesting I think...

My method is complicated by the fact that my "Current" Pilael is actually a serious overhaul of the language I made up for a seventh Grade English Project. We had to come up with "30 important words or phrases" in the language.

So from that I had a basic Sound set, which I'd decided (Although I expanded it a bit) And I bit of vocabulary, but it had English Grammar. So Recently, After having taken several years of latin, I began to understand enough to give it a complete overhaul, first from SVO to SOV and now to it's current VSO. I also (arbitrarily) decided that punctuation would be in particles and that they went at the beginning of the sentence. But what I didn't just straight make up mostly comes from my knowledge of Latin.

My version of Negation is also marked by two parts, but like many things I've made up, it works a bit like parentheses: Kemb goes before whatever's being negated and Za Goes after. (If it's obvious what's being negated, then the insertion of the word "KembZa" anywhere in the sentence works just as well.)

I really need to make a thread for this...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:07 pm
Tesar Eshne
Shangroulu

My method is complicated by the fact that my "Current" Pilael is actually a serious overhaul of the language I made up for a seventh Grade English Project. We had to come up with "30 important words or phrases" in the language.

So from that I had a basic Sound set, which I'd decided (Although I expanded it a bit) And I bit of vocabulary, but it had English Grammar. So Recently, After having taken several years of latin, I began to understand enough to give it a complete overhaul, first from SVO to SOV and now to it's current VSO. I also (arbitrarily) decided that punctuation would be in particles and that they went at the beginning of the sentence. But what I didn't just straight make up mostly comes from my knowledge of Latin.

My version of Negation is also marked by two parts, but like many things I've made up, it works a bit like parentheses: Kemb goes before whatever's being negated and Za Goes after. (If it's obvious what's being negated, then the insertion of the word "KembZa" anywhere in the sentence works just as well.)

I really need to make a thread for this...
you do lol, I would love to read more about this! You have gotten me fascinated!! lol  

Song Wei

The Archer12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:48 am
Xeigrich
I make conlangs for about 4 reasons:

1. It's fun and I can't seem to stop doing it anyway.
2. I like having ways to describe things that mean exactly what I want.
3. I would LIKE to have a secret method of communication with my girlfriend and/or my friends.
4. I used to write stories a lot, and knew that they wouldn't speak English in this fictional world, but since I don't write anymore, this reason is kinda disqualified.

#3 is probably my "alternate use" but unfortunately my girlfriend nor my friends are willing to learn any of my conlangs, even the super-easy ones.

# 3 is why I want to learn a conlang. I don't think I could make one, but I'd like ot learn one someone else has made.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff