Alternate Uses for Conlangs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cechi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:45 am
Xeigrich
....my girlfriend nor my friends are willing to learn any of my conlangs, even the super-easy ones.

That sucks. It's fun to conlang alone, but I think it's even more fun to do it with other people. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm making a conlang with one of
my good friends, so that we can share it together. He doesn't really pull his weight, though...xD It's mostly me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:36 am
I wish I had willing friends, but, unfortunately, they're not even interested in the language they're taking in school. Bah. D;

I mainly just do it for fun and to have something to do in science class in-between note taking. :3  

Kalathma

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:18 pm
Well a friend of mine just got me inspired to at least TRY to start writing again...

So my conlangs may see some usage just yet~  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm
Xeigrich
Well a friend of mine just got me inspired to at least TRY to start writing again...

So my conlangs may see some usage just yet~

YAY! Good for you! ^_^

I remember being ecstatic when Lissa wanted to learn Niora. (And I fear she may be getting better at speaking it than I am! eek Haha, that's okay, keep's me motivated. Besides, she's a wiz at remembering vocab, so if I forget, I can just ask her! xD)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

eiei...OMGWTFBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:04 am
[rant] I've talked to many of my friends about either learning Aelorish (so I'll be more inclined to write more for it) or to make our own conlang, but all of them either think it's a weird idea, or they think that it would confuse them with the natlangs they're learning. Go figure rolleyes I did have one girl trying to learn, but learning another language in general confused her. I'm guessing my best bet would be one of the people in my French class (since I'm in 4th year French, so we all have at least some sort of liking of languages) but I'm not friends with any of them.

I wish I had a friend to speak with in a conlang xp Oh well. [/rant]

It's not really much of a rant, but I used a lot of words  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:51 am
Lee Retalis
Hey folks,
I'm not really new to this place, I just have a tendency to lurk.
I'm creating a conculture with a language (one of these days....) for a story idea I have.
I still have a lot to learn though. I don't want my language to be a remake of english. (In fact I'm hoping to make it simpler then english so it's a little easier to learn. Less of those exceptions to the rules and whatnot.)
It's just going to be hard because I don't quite understand everything yet. I see you guys using terms for certain sounds and stuff. I haven't quite grasped anything like that yet.

Anyways, more to the point.

After I've made my conlang, I plan to teach it to my boyfriend. This way, we can talk privately around anyone we want. XD

And occasionally maybe just to confuse people. Cause that's fun.

What else will/do/might you guys use your conlangs for?
LOL teaching a love or friend your Conlang is so much fun, I plan to become fluent with mine by the end of the sumer and am teaching it to my girl friend as well.
though the most basic thing I use it for is talking to myself, writing notes in school, and of course the story I am making. though I use the Calligraphic form for art and literature when I am not doing anything else, Alte'ar Takghan Ali'ye'ar!! (Hail the Takghan Empire)  

Shen Trey

TheFrogDaysAreOver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:53 pm
I haven't thought about the uses of ÞjàmÅ¡u; I'm just creating it for the sake of creating one. =)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:02 pm
I found a new use for my language!!!! besides the others I listed, I use it to yell at people!!!! lol  

Shen Trey

MassuReverse

5,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 pm
My conlang is actually part of an insidious(ly stupid) art project. 'Cause with the conlang goes a conreligion, so I thought I would attempt to make a small holy book, written in Nefraka with an English translation, and leave copies around the area in which I live.

Which is a fun idea, but extremely time consuming. It took forever to come up with an English copy of the text. Now I actually have to write vocabulary and develop the grammar to make it all work...  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:37 pm
MassuReverse
My conlang is actually part of an insidious(ly stupid) art project. 'Cause with the conlang goes a conreligion, so I thought I would attempt to make a small holy book, written in Nefraka with an English translation, and leave copies around the area in which I live.

Which is a fun idea, but extremely time consuming. It took forever to come up with an English copy of the text. Now I actually have to write vocabulary and develop the grammar to make it all work...

I truly love this idea!  

Tweezle

Trey Shen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 pm
I want to teach my girl friend how to write a con language, though she is too lazy to lol. she enjoys writing so I don't she why she wouldn't at least try for me.

the primary reason I create conlangs is for personal use (as in journals and other things as such) and I use them in stories I write.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:52 am
Xeigrich
I make conlangs for about 4 reasons:

1. It's fun and I can't seem to stop doing it anyway.
2. I like having ways to describe things that mean exactly what I want.
3. I would LIKE to have a secret method of communication with my girlfriend and/or my friends.
4. I used to write stories a lot, and knew that they wouldn't speak English in this fictional world, but since I don't write anymore, this reason is kinda disqualified.

#3 is probably my "alternate use" but unfortunately my girlfriend nor my friends are willing to learn any of my conlangs, even the super-easy ones.

I'd like to try to learn a super easy one, but beware, my lack of stick-to-itness is amazingly big.  

saker112

eiei...OMGWTFBBQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:35 pm
I'm just gonna update what I said in February:

Well, I got closer to one of my other friends this summer, and we've started dating. He's kinda into languages, and I sent the Aelorish "handbook" to him. He seemed to think it was interesting, although he did point out many spelling, punctuation, etc errors. It's funny. I love it.

But that's another story. Anyways, so I'm thinking I'll teach him Aelorish so we can chat, because boyfriend/girlfriend conversations in ANY non-english language, be it nat or conlang, just freaking rule.

On a side note, I'm trying to convince him that he wants to start a chatting conlang, where most "words" are not more than 4 letters, and it obviously would not be a spoken language. He says, "Oh, dear god. Why?" But he is actually interested in it. I think.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 pm
Well I haven't yet made a complete conlang but in 5th grade I slowly started developing one which I forced my little sister to learn. Like many people, it was for the sake of making fun of people behind their backs and yet right in front of them. biggrin I also used to keep a journal in it. It was very, very irregular, (though still easier than english razz ) but we only spoke simple sentences so it wasn't much of a problem.

Actually I am still adding vocabulary and using it today... (soon will be 5 years since I made it) and that is actually kind of pathetic. When I say I use it "today," I mean almost every day I will communicate with my little sister in it. Generally it's just to threaten her without my parents knowing, but there are other uses.

Some good things about having a conlang (even a pathetically simple one):

-can make fun of people
-can threaten people
-can pass on secret information
-can speak nonsense and people will think you're speaking the conlang
-can point out people without being rude
-can do other things without being rude
-can write a diary without fear of it being read
-can do heavy cursing and nobody will care biggrin  

TurtIe Tracks

Cynthia_Rosenweiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:11 am
There's also the usage of conlangs for occultic/esoteric purposes, if you are into those sort of things.

Of course, I'm refering to Enochian, though I think Dee and Kelley themselves would disavow such a judgement.

Then there's whatever the Voynich Manuscript was written in.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff