Alternate Uses for Conlangs Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Retalis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:14 pm
Hey folks,
I'm not really new to this place, I just have a tendency to lurk.
I'm creating a conculture with a language (one of these days....) for a story idea I have.
I still have a lot to learn though. I don't want my language to be a remake of english. (In fact I'm hoping to make it simpler then english so it's a little easier to learn. Less of those exceptions to the rules and whatnot.)
It's just going to be hard because I don't quite understand everything yet. I see you guys using terms for certain sounds and stuff. I haven't quite grasped anything like that yet.

Anyways, more to the point.

After I've made my conlang, I plan to teach it to my boyfriend. This way, we can talk privately around anyone we want. XD

And occasionally maybe just to confuse people. Cause that's fun.

What else will/do/might you guys use your conlangs for?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:28 pm
I would love to do that with my boyfriend, but he won't even learn preexisting foreign languages. It's no fun. D:  

ange de la musique xx

Kazyan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:38 pm
Conlangs, I think, are often used as private methods of communication or for the languages of concultures (which I think I'm going to do more of, with my active imagination). That's pretty much it, I guess, except for just fun. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:54 pm
Ooh, fun! I'd teach my conlang, Skai:tlunos to my boyfriend, if I had one. *grawr* I'm so stubborn, I won't go out with anyone... heh.

I'd use it to confuse people, as well. More specifically, people that I dislike. *evil laugh*

It would go something like this:

Random Person: Eww, what are you wearing? Did your blind great-aunt pick that out for you?

Me: Atlleln, z'udbey za'tmeakneo, caymiai ocheniix meachilnco. z'zu'Ohmeaseon:zu'Lelfeen abglon ncokt, feenesn yodtlbeyminco!
(That, my friend, was very rude. My great-aunt is deaf, not blind!)

R.P.: Whoa, speak English!

Me: Cayix zu'Ixgag tlabcre Skai:tlunos abglon aidin udmilue ixglonnas?
(Why English when Skai:tlunos is so much easier?)

R.P. runs away screaming.  

Trexa

Pistil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 am
My boyfriend wouldn't do that. He thinks I'm crazy for even making up a language no one would use. But it's for a book I'm planning to write and I want it to not just be gibberish because it'll be used quite a lot in the book (not, like, a whole chapter in Etiktik... but it appears in dreams, riddles, and eventually the main character learns that it's an actual language and that it's actually his native tongue - which furthers the plot substantially)

I also use it to help me learn natlangs. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:29 am
I use Niora in many a manga that I draw. It's hilarious to see people leaning over and looking at the speech bubbles in confusion. xD

That's more just me being my spastic nerdy self, though. =P

I'm also co-writing a book with my best friend in which the Niore actually speak Niora, so that's always good.

My other conlangs are used simply to help me learn my natlangs. If I can create grammar from nothing, then surely I can grasp the concepts in already existing languages. =)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

aqua_flame_spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm
Me and my friend on the bus talk in my(our) language all the time. Mostly to make fun of people. It's funny, but they're like "YR GAY"  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:09 pm
aqua_flame_spirit
Me and my friend on the bus talk in my(our) language all the time. Mostly to make fun of people. It's funny, but they're like "YR GAY"

Haha! I speak Niora with Kitsune on our bus. We get that a lot. xD  

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

aqua_flame_spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 pm
DBZ Rocks My Socks
aqua_flame_spirit

I think Niora is a really pretty language and I want to learn it someday...I think it's Niora anyway. But I'm too lazy sweatdrop right now. hehe. But anyway the people on my bus (in the back where I sit) are cool so I don't do it too much anymore. Just to the people in the front. twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:20 pm
aqua_flame_spirit
DBZ Rocks My Socks
aqua_flame_spirit

I think Niora is a really pretty language and I want to learn it someday...I think it's Niora anyway. But I'm too lazy sweatdrop right now. hehe. But anyway the people on my bus (in the back where I sit) are cool so I don't do it too much anymore. Just to the people in the front. twisted

That a girl! xD

Haha, just kiddin'. =)  

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:18 pm
If I can, I'm going to start actively keeping a journal in Mazdrivonian.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 am
Eccentric Iconoclast
If I can, I'm going to start actively keeping a journal in Mazdrivonian.

I keep trying to do that with Niora, but I never get too far because I never have anything to write about! xD

My life's pretty boring, methinks. But that's okay. Excitement is scary sometimes. ;D  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

Pheranya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:46 pm
.: [ I actually plan to use Ave'kersha in daily speak with my friends, in journals, and in later novels I may work on. I just love the language too much to use it once and be done with it. ] :.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:37 pm
My friend and I are working on our (as of now, unnamed) first conlang together. It's not for anything in particular, just kind of a secret language for us to talk in, write stories or notes or whatever in, blahblah.
I think it's a lot of fun when you can share your language with someone else~

I'd love to keep a journal in our conlang, but I can't even manage to keep one
in English. gonk I'm so inconsistent...

Cechi

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:49 pm
I make conlangs for about 4 reasons:

1. It's fun and I can't seem to stop doing it anyway.
2. I like having ways to describe things that mean exactly what I want.
3. I would LIKE to have a secret method of communication with my girlfriend and/or my friends.
4. I used to write stories a lot, and knew that they wouldn't speak English in this fictional world, but since I don't write anymore, this reason is kinda disqualified.

#3 is probably my "alternate use" but unfortunately my girlfriend nor my friends are willing to learn any of my conlangs, even the super-easy ones.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff