Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
You're too obsessed with creating conlangs when... Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:38 pm
Like in the foreign languages guild I've decided to do one for this guild to see how it goes.

.....when all your friends speak your conlang fluently
........when you confuse foreigners and interpreters when you travel abroad.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 pm
Solereke Kitsune...

.....when you speak your conlang without realizing and expect people to understand you. (Happens to me ALL THE TIME... and then I look at them like, "why aren't you answering me?"xD)

......when you put your conlang in your formatted posts and signatures on various forums. (Check the siggy and post format! xD)

...eta feshiko tsuikeshi shone me dai.

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:18 pm
... when you have the conjugation tables of whatever in your conlangs memorized.

... when you could imagine your conlang as a person and you'd like to have a romantic relationship with said person.

... when you family/roommates can translate simple statements in your conlang to understand what you're babbling about.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 am
When, when you have to write a process essay for English class, you write one on how to construct a realistic phonology.
When your family understands simple phrases in your conlang. My family seems to get what I mean when I say <ši maxve>, which means "I don't know." I don't think they even know it's Aquénandi, though.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:52 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
When your family understands simple phrases in your conlang. My family seems to get what I mean when I say <ši maxve>, which means "I don't know." I don't think they even know it's Aquénandi, though.

Same with "Iniji la." for me. (Also means, "I don't know." They understand "I'm hungry" which is "Ni la." too. xD)  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 pm
...when you rub off on your friends, who then proceed to begin making languages. (Thanks a lot, Kitsune! Now I have yet another time-consuming hobby to deal with. =P)  

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

Kazyan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:27 am
...when, in the midst of speaking to your friends, you have the urge to switch to your conlang because English can't "get the message out correctly".

This has not happened to me, by the way.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 am
Kazyan
...when, in the midst of speaking to your friends, you have the urge to switch to your conlang because English can't "get the message out correctly".

It has to me.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Pistil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:53 am
When you forget how to count in English.

This happened to me for about a month. It wasn't that big of a deal, but every time I searched for numbers I would get my conlang, then some foreign languages (Swedish, French, Spanish), then - if I was lucky - English.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:21 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
Kazyan

It has to me.

Me too. In Niora, insults are quite condensed, so I prefer using the Niora "No' maroshtaka naa!" instead of "You're such a freaking pathetic excuse for stardust!" It's just easier to use three words as opposed to eight. =P

--------

...when you have a bunch of insults that aren't translatable into any other language, but you fully understand what they mean. (I have a few.)

...when you start using idioms and cultural sayings that appear in your conlang in your daily speech. (I constantly call people 'incompetent faeries' now. xD)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:47 pm
For insults, calling someone seems quite a better insult than anything in English. It's like telling someone that they're unintelligent, incompetent and easy to predict.

There aren't really any other overt insults (although there are certainly other ways to portray similar things. That one does the job just fine.

It's just that the logic behind Aquénandi is so different from the logic behind other languages. It's hard to portray except in the language itself, in which case it's painfully obvious.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:13 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
For insults, calling someone seems quite a better insult than anything in English. It's like telling someone that they're unintelligent, incompetent and easy to predict.

There aren't really any other overt insults (although there are certainly other ways to portray similar things. That one does the job just fine.

It's just that the logic behind Aquénandi is so different from the logic behind other languages. It's hard to portray except in the language itself, in which case it's painfully obvious.

Interesting. =)

I hope my conlang will end up with cool stuff like that. I don't exactly know how to implement it though... although I do have a few nonsense words that I mumble under my breath at stupid people. xD

...when you name everything you see in your conlang as you walk by in order to practice speaking it correctly. (Applies to me)

...when your friends have gotten used to the above scenario. (Also applies to me.)

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

Serali88

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:20 pm
......When you write your school work in your conlang. ( Happened to me more then once )!

......When answer the question your teacher asked in your conlang. ( Happened to me more then once yet again )! I swear I'm surprised that I'm writing this in English!

I think I should get a medal or something?

Xem üyö jæwä đohõ? O đomãķ hi! XD  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:55 pm
Serali88
...When you answer a question your teacher asked in your conlang.

OMG! That's starting to happen to me now too! (I only recently started conlanging, but BOY is it ADDICTIVE! xD)

I answer my parents in my conlang now too... it's freaky... it's almost like my language makes more sense to me than English because I'm making all my words. Or... something... I dunno, but it's really creeping me out! (In a good way, of course! whee )  

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

Rimbaum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 am
When you watch your cat and listen very very carefully to the sounds s/he makes because you plan on making a cat-based conlang. Then you get in a serious discussion about the meanings of body language and spoken language together in said cat-based conlang!  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff