Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 4: The Three R's, (Lit) RP, Reviews, & Reports (Debate/Essays/Creative Writing)
How do you make an 8 minute speech fit on a 4x6 card?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nosferateu9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:28 am
I'm on the speech team and I honestly don't think it will fit... All we can have with us is a 4x6 notecard... It has to last about 8 minutes.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:52 pm
Mmm... I remember public speaking class.

All you gotta do is put an outline on the card. No complete sentences. Only keywords. If you have three main points in your speech, list those topics, and then list any subtopics under that, like supporting information. If you have to remember dates or citations, write a few keywords you will remember followed by the date or citation information.

Whatever you do, DON'T put as much information as you can on the index card. You will be tempted to read off of it. You should know your material well enough that you don't need the card at all. So only put the absolute essential information on there that will give your memory a kick-start if you get scared and freeze up in the middle of the speech. The last thing you want to do is frantically fish through the information on your card trying to find a fact you think you missed.

Also, the text should be big enough that you can read it at a glance. Making the text smaller so you can fit more onto the card just makes it hard to read and makes you fumble during your speech. It kinda goes with what I said before.

I hope this helps.  

Skarrina

shacobestjungleisop

Liberal Noob

6,500 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:25 pm
write really really small  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 pm
Print the speech on the card in a REALLY small font.  

The Big Disappointment

Kidalanna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 pm
Well, I think Skarrina said this in her really long post, but I'm too tired and my eyes are unfocused, so I'm not quite up to reading it, sorry.
You don't put the speech itself on the card, you only put notes on it. Say, if you were talking about... DDR. You might put something like "-4 arrows -shapes -computer -game -Dance Dance Revolution" And other things like that. And um.... I'm not sure there's much else to say..
Write on both sides of the card?
Good luck~ ^^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:37 pm
Write only the main topics down.
Or write as small as you can that is readable?
Time yourself as you read it out loud as practice?  

Blackhearts-ect

Magical Poster

Darkfire2210

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:09 pm
Personally, I'm not in speech, but I am in debate. Write down things that will help you remember what you want to talk about... Reminders, if you will. If there's a sub-point you really want to bring up, write that, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:02 pm
Type it up. Make the font about 3 pt. Times New Roman. Print, paste onto card. Buy a magnifying glass.

If that doesn't work, just write down in bullet points the really important ideas in your speech - anything you don't want to forget. A basic outline to make sure you don't fly off topic and venture into the world of Terrible Tangents is what you really want.

And (it's very cliched, yes, I know), practice, practice, practice. Until you want to overeat and pull your eyelashes out in your sleep and burn ants with the unused magnifying glass. It sucks, but it'll be worth it.  

Lazuli Bunting

xxxxxannaxxxxx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 am
simple lol yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee razz eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee razz eeeeeeeeeeeeee razz eeeeeeeeeeee razz eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  
4: The Three R's, (Lit) RP, Reviews, & Reports (Debate/Essays/Creative Writing)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games