Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
Process

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kukushka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:41 pm
As some of you know, I keep a writing blog where I periodically post articles about writing creative fiction. Well, I'm working on an article right now about creating a language.

I have my own opinions about how to make a conlang, but I try to include what works for other people as well in my articles. I was wondering if you guys could help me a bit. What I would like to know, especially from those of you who have created several conlangs, is the process you use. For example, I come up with culture first, then phonetics, then grammar, then lexicon, then alphabet.

I'd also like to know if you find any parts of conlanging particularly challenging and if you've found strategies to make these parts a little easier.

And finally, if you have a a website somewhere with maybe a description of your process or with a guide to your own conlang, I can include a link with my article.

I'm really sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place and I think everything in advance for helping me out smile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:49 am
Hmm... well, my process depends on the particular conlang I'm working on at the moment. For example, with Niora, I came up with most of the vocabulary before anything else, with Aprë, I did the grammar first, and with Ijwe, I'm experimenting with various different grammar ideas and I only have minimal vocab. (I like playing around to see how stuff works.)

Usually, I'll make the language first and base the culture around it. Then if there are inconsistencies, I fix them as I go to fit into the culture, which usually takes on a life of its own. =)

I actually have a website for Niora, but not my other conlangs:

www.learn-niora.co.nr  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:05 pm
My process for Aha'uluyi'i was creating an alphabet, then creating sounds and consonant clusters. Then I created some grammar, and began to work on vocab. I didn't create a culture for it, though.

For Pm--iv-izchpeginokiezchbivech, I looked up cases on Wikipedia, turned them into my language, then came up with a few other grammaticalities. Then I created a mini-culture based on the meaning of the name, and worked on some more grammar. I haven't yet started working on vocab...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:10 pm
My conlanging strategy is, apparently, to slack off and not do anything.  

Vajra B. Hairava

Serali88

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:23 pm
Actually I have 2 sites on my scripts and langs on Xanga. But this one is the most current one:

www.xanga.com/wapo_gipo88 Enjoy!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:24 pm
My strategy basically goes like this...

1. Come up with the basic sound of the language.
2. Pick specific sounds (such as from an IPA chart) that work well together and provide variety.
3. Make some basic words.
4. Create the grammar, including word order, and parts of speech.
5. Flesh out the lexicon.

Grammar is easy for me. It's as easy as "doing it this way means this, and doing it that way means that."

Making up words to fill out a lexicon is looking to be almost impossible. I've yet to get a single conlang up to a point where you could use it in daily speech, because every other word is always missing!

Also, I don't include "creating an alphabet" or anything in my order of processes, because that can occur at any point, or never. You MUST make up words, assign grammatical rules, and pick sounds, but there is never a requirement to have a unique writing system.  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:55 pm
Xeigrich
My strategy basically goes like this...

1. Come up with the basic sound of the language.
2. Pick specific sounds (such as from an IPA chart) that work well together and provide variety.
3. Make some basic words.
4. Create the grammar, including word order, and parts of speech.
5. Flesh out the lexicon.

Grammar is easy for me. It's as easy as "doing it this way means this, and doing it that way means that."

Making up words to fill out a lexicon is looking to be almost impossible. I've yet to get a single conlang up to a point where you could use it in daily speech, because every other word is always missing!

Also, I don't include "creating an alphabet" or anything in my order of processes, because that can occur at any point, or never. You MUST make up words, assign grammatical rules, and pick sounds, but there is never a requirement to have a unique writing system.

Aww, hell; does that mean that I'm breaking the universe? (<-currently working on a sign language)

xd

Of course, my sign language is very loud, compared to other sign languages. It has clicks and trills and a lot of clapping. But still.

---

For me, a conlang starts when I get an idea. Just a random "What would happen if a language did..." sort of thing. And then I work on it; I decide what I want it to sound like. I decide the grammatical rules. And during this whole process, I keep that idea in mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 pm
Awesome, thank you so much everyone!

It's posted here: http://penmighty.blogspot.com/2007/10/constructing-artificial-language.html and a summary of your comments are at the bottom. Let me know if you want me to make any corrections smile  

Kukushka

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:09 pm
Ooh, nice. XD

You know, I need to just stop cold-turkey posting here for a while, because you people keep giving me ideas, and I would LIKE to have 2 or 3 big conlangs rather than 20 half-assed ones. It's getting harder and harder to resist making yet another conlang based on some kooky idea or random babble inspired by something I've read here. Ugh, you people, jeez! rolleyes

yar bu net nanda tan.

yekka pwin par so ni guh tow nish?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:27 pm
As a writer, I come up with names for characters and decide which species or race they belong to. Then I try to see how the sounds in different names that are from the "same languages" work together. I decide what the sounds in each language are and fix any inconsistencies in phonology. Then I work on grammar, other vocab, syntax.

However, I seem to have a fondness for /T D ks/, which are rare in natural languages, so I might try "fixing" that at some point before my books are done.  

vampyre_smiles

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:29 pm
Xeigrich
yar bu net nanda tan.

yekka pwin par so ni guh tow nish?

Ezchmanavachenzchcqa enwazhetiemi...

confused question  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:04 pm
The blog looks good! Thanks for mentioning my website. =)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

The Constructed Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces