I LOVE Half-Price Books XD

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:44 pm
I stopped by yesterday after seeing Pirates 3 at the local discount theater (which was pretty cool, by the way).

I picked up that book EI had recommended... $4, sweet. I also got this old Zelda cartoon on VHS.

Picture:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/xeigrich/S5031447.jpg

I also picked up a "journal." That's the blank-cover book. I plan to practice writing Anzer Pex in it, either writing random thoughts, prose, or translations, or just keeping a daily or weekly journal. I think a few of you have mentioned doing something similar... Have you gotten good results?

I figure this will give me some more obscure vocabulary to come up with, as well as help me become more fluent. If nothing else, it'll be amusing to go back through and read it later.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:11 pm
You're so excited you posted in the wrong forum! mrgreen

And look, you took a picture of the guild! ;D

I hope you love that book as much as I do. I already want to read it again, but I'm going to wait a bit and read some other stuff. sweatdrop

I ought to start keeping an AquĆ©nandi journal. I've got a nice blank notebook for it.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:38 pm
Well, it wasn't really that off-topic, so I figured it'd be fine for the main board. Otherwise, well, what really belongs on the main board? Seems like pretty much anything already has a board for it, so... meh.

I'm really looking forward to reading the book... I'll probably be reading it on the bus, between classes, and late at night, delaying my sleep.

I'm actually more excited about the journal, though, because I'll also get to use my fountain pen AND practice Anzer Pex. I'd use regular notebooks but the high quality fountain pen ink bleeds quite a bit.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:01 pm
(anything relating to conlangs)

Anyway.
There's this bookstore in my hometown for Tech that has a huuuuge rack in teh middle of $1 books. I got a calculus book there years ago, and "Amusing Ourselves to Death", and ummm like 3 lit books stuffed full of stories and poems. biggrin

This included the one we used the next year in HS, but in muuuuch better condition. XD  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:18 pm
Well, my first post was like HALF about writing with conlangs in a journal. The other stuff was just supposed to be a segue sort of thing, or a bit of backstory.

Anyway, I love discount book stores, but Half-Price Books has the best selection I've ever seen. I've found so much random cool stuff, and gems I'd been searching for for years.

As for the journal... I can't use it yet. gonk I still haven't had much time to generate the vocabulary for the Raven King Prophecy, much less anything else Anzer Pex related. I mean, I already know what I want to write in the journal, I just don't have enough Anzer Pex to write it. >_<  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:34 am
Is off-topic-ish because you didn't actually talk about your conlang, you talked about how you're going to be writing in your conlang, which isn't in-depth at all. sweatdrop

Don't look at me, I'm currently reading a copy of Sabriel that I acquired from Half-Price Books. ninja
Then I'll be on to reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray (from the same store), and then I don't know what. I also acquired a complete dictionary of Russian slang for $4, which I'm very happy about. heart

Of course, the best used-book store is almost certainly Amazon.com, but Half-Price Books comes in second place and is made of several flavors of awesome.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:43 am
I prefer Half-Price Books or other used-book stores because you're THERE, and you have the books in your hand and you can browse more easily. A lot of times, I'm just browsing and it's more fun to pick up a random book and read a few pages.

I only prefer Amazon/eBay if I already know what I want and am just looking for a place from which to purchase it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:53 am
Yeah, it's hard to browse in Amazon, and you can't woggle about and smell (and read) books. mad D
I do prefer Half-Price Books, but the selection is so limited comparatively. I'm still trying to secure a copy of Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand, and HPB doesn't have it.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm
Oh, and another thing... I don't like waiting on shipping. Sure, it's a treat to come home and find a package with your book in it, but I'd rather walk out of the store with it in my hands right when I purchase it.

My experience with BioShock as got me interested in Ayn Rand, despite the negative opinions a lot of people have about her and her works. I also want to find House of Leaves, but I always forget to look for it at HPB.

But really, the greatest thing about HPB is finding awesome stuff you never thought of looking for.  
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games