Submit

Do female RPCs have to be semi-naked?
  Sure.
  I hate this way.
  I don't have a specific opinion.
View Results

nonnos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 am
I'm -almost-always disappointed with the clothing and general looks of a female RPC.This article zips it.LOL.
Click to view  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:16 pm

Aw, but I like that in RPGs weird clothing and hair doesn't get you stared at. razz The un-protectiveness of the armor and such when used is indeed silly and that doesn't make sense to me even on internal game logic, but a key thing to remember here as far as the character designs goes otherwise is why people play these things often: it ISN'T real life. People see the realistic, average every day. You play a role playing game to do and in a way be and experience different things you can't normally do and this includes the ridiculous and the idealized quite often. Realism for the sake of realism (things like skin blemishes the article mentioned, which by the way, I think the sheer difficulty in portraying these things in the character designs at all times at all zoom ranges would make a good case for just never including them in main party characters) goes against one of the biggest draws of players for RPGs. You may as well be saying "Why are there never main characters who work in fast food restaurants with dead end jobs who have boring lives struggling to pay the bills and they live their whole lives this way with no big adventure coming to whisk them away and save them and spice things up?"
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

nonnos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:17 pm
I can see your point,bluecherry.I like the wierd clothing and hair colors too.What I find very annoying is the nudity trend.I think our heros/protagonists either male or female should have some degree of modesty.By the way,I've always thought about making amovie(hoping wink about very normal life.I think it'll be interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:07 am

While a lot of them may have very revealing clothing, it is far from all of them, especially in the most popular games. The most popular ones try to maintain some standard of "respectability." 3nodding Really though, I think as long as you are looking for realism, you must admit there are plenty of highly exposed females in real life as it is too. wink As for a very average daily life type movie, if you can somehow manage to make that work, good for you. To me though, I think it would probably be just boring. Even things that can feasibly happen in real life are still mostly only told stories about when they center around more unusual occurrences, whether they be uncommon actual occurrences or a new and rare realization or understanding that came from a maybe not-so-uncommon event. If you make art that presents nothing new or unusual to the viewer, what reason have they to come and take any time or spend any attention on your product? Why settle for a vicarious experience of what you already commonly experience in actuality?

bluecherry
Vice Captain

miserable failure

Invisible Assailant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:24 am
Good article there. Very amusing, even though I haven't played any RPG lately (read: in the past year and a half or so, XD).  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Though those who posted liked the post(everyone for his own reasons),the 'Sure' option is winning.In my opinion,this is a scary indication of the dominating trend...

For Bluecherry:sometimes when you see your life as an outsider,you'll realize its beauty,weirdness or even find creative solutions.  

nonnos

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm

But if you're making a movie, it won't be people's own lives that you will be showing them a new and possibly useful perspective on -- it will be the daily life of a fictitious character so that the viewer is already a third person, distanced perspective and the life they are looking at is one they see for the first time watching the film (albeit it may seem rather generic and not at all too different from tons of others they have seen) so the life isn't even one which is old to them and they have set views on. My main point here is a question of possibility of what you want to do by sheer definition challenges. If you have nothing new and unique to present the viewer you will bore them. The basic definition of what is "normal" everyday life is those days which are absent of anything really noteworthy, new, and unique. It is the days and times which aren't worth spending too much effort on remembering even to those who actually are living them. If there is nothing worth remembering in the day even for the person living it, why should other people care to see it documented? Mind you, you don't have to find a dragon or nearly get killed for a day to not be among the category of "just another average day," like I've said, if you even have a day where you are doing something fairly normal like watching TV and you have a sort of epiphany about something, that is still enough to make it a unique day. All in all, I think if you manage to make a movie worth watching, it will not be an "average day" you have made the movie about. xp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:51 pm
Well,bluecherry.I can see your point.But don't you agree with me that small things count?.An everyday life contains various moments that worth being documented.Memories,fleeting glances..etc.We get into tribal and tribulations and out of them many times a day,not necessarily big things.For exemple,your favourite show was cancelled this day or a machine doesn't work properly.A trivial word said to someone can be of great importance to him.This is the perspective I intend.Ups and downs of the daily life.  

nonnos

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:34 am

A whole movie whose greatest high and low points and biggest insights were "that cute coworker smiled at me today!", "Oh great, the dog peed on the couch", and "I burnt dinner so now what do I eat?" would indeed be dull as dirt though. confused Why not just incorporate these kinds of little daily trials and tribulations into a larger, more meaningful plot?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:40 pm
Have you watched "Breaking Up":Russel Crowe&Salma Hayek or "The Big Kahuna".They're close to what I mean and I didn't find them boring at all.  

nonnos

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:12 am

Nope. Can't say I've ever heard of them before to get what you mean. D;

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:14 am
Hmmm...personally,I think the girl should decide if their RPC is almost nude of has cool cloths on.  

Lord Buckethead

Yeet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:34 pm
bluecherry

While a lot of them may have very revealing clothing, it is far from all of them, especially in the most popular games. The most popular ones try to maintain some standard of "respectability." 3nodding Really though, I think as long as you are looking for realism, you must admit there are plenty of highly exposed females in real life as it is too. wink As for a very average daily life type movie, if you can somehow manage to make that work, good for you. To me though, I think it would probably be just boring. Even things that can feasibly happen in real life are still mostly only told stories about when they center around more unusual occurrences, whether they be uncommon actual occurrences or a new and rare realization or understanding that came from a maybe not-so-uncommon event. If you make art that presents nothing new or unusual to the viewer, what reason have they to come and take any time or spend any attention on your product? Why settle for a vicarious experience of what you already commonly experience in actuality?

Bluecherry- very agreed again - your words are of so much relevance and insight ... thank you both for the stellar converse ...  
®

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games