DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:31 pm
Well, just thought that since this is mostly a D&D guild, it would be appropriate to make an announcement about this. I've just learned that Wizards of the Coast have decided to make everyone have to pay for core rulebooks all over again by releasing a NEW version of D&D. That's right, D&D version 4 is set to be released in about 9 months.

I don't have much info, but it sounds like they're trying to integrate the use of the internet and computer into playing D&D now. They will still have books of course, but they make mention of digital enhancements and such. I will say that some of the ideas seem alright, but for the most part, I'm displeased. I an perfectly happy with 3.5, and have no intention on jumping on the 4.0 bandwagon anytime soon.

If you want to read more on it, here's the link to the site. Here, actually! I'm sure you'll have your own opinions, and feel free to discuss them here. There's not much information on it, but I'm sure in the next 9 months that will change. I will make a separate subforum for 4.0 games, for any of you that do wish to play.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:32 pm
After I end up buying all the 3.5 ones, they come out with more!

First off, I knew this was coming. You don't stop at a half-point. 3.5 was just begging to have another one coming. Second, I really hope they don't change up the rules too much, so I can still intergrate 3.5 aspects into it. If not, then screw it, I'll just leach the aspects of the game from someone else. I refuse to waste anymore of my "hard-earned" money on something new. If you got something good, why change it?

I don't want to rage on this one, I was in a good mood today... stare  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:31 pm
Apparently 4.0 is going to be mostly incompatible with 3.5 games. There's talk of dropping a base class or race, and they're overhauling the system.

They really must think gamers are morons. This is way too soon to have a new edition.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:48 pm
I bought my first third edition books within weeks of it coming out, and yet it feels like just yesterday. <.< You're right, it does seem way too soon to release a new edition. Sometimes I still turn back to 2nd edition for references that aren't covered in newer books, like relative sizes and lifespans of different elves.

I'd say they should wait, and take more time. Unless they can completely overhaul the system like they did while shifting from 1st to 2nd, then from 2nd to 3rd, it doesn't seem worth it.

And I have totally been there! xd The teaser? "What's THAC0? How do I tell if I hit?" or "I grapple it." "Okay, how?" We went through that one recently because next to no one uses those rules. <.< Any of the special manuevers, really: grapple, trip, disarm, bull rush, etc. In most cases, it seems more efficient to just hit it with your sword.

But if 4th edition can really speed up and smooth out gameplay, I'm in.  

Fiver

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:00 pm
Why "fix" something that isn't broken? Sure, if they fix it (like, the 'perfect' D20 system presented in M&M), than maybe I'll be interested. But a complete overhaul? They're going to end up going too quickly and screwing something up. Look at 3.0, that's why theres a 3.5. I have an strange feeling there's going to be a 4.5.

I'm waiting. I'll let people I know test it out, than I'll join in with them and see for myself. If it's better, then yeah, I'll memorize the new rules, find ways to power twink characters, and have fun with it. I haven't found an Paper and Pencil RPG that I couldn't twink. If they can find ways to stop people like me from doing so, than they win. Until then, when you guys get the new books, tell me how it goes...  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:07 am
Unfortunately, this may be one case where economics works against us. The best way for them to make money is to make it so we're constantly buying new books. Unfortunately, this kind of screws us by soaking our money for what could be a sub-par product.  

Fiver

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:28 pm
That's why I'm not going to buy them. I have no Demand, they don't sell their Supply...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:51 pm
This just in...

Reports that the pointy hatted old bastards by the seaside are dropping a base race and/or class have proven to be understatements. Barbarians, Druids, Bards, Monks, Sorcerers, and Gnomes are no longer core.

Thus cementing my insistence on pretending 4E doesn't exist. Two of my favourite characters (my bard, Dmitrich, who has already gone through two editions, and my sorcerer, Jack) would be effectively obsolete.  

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

GS Sailor Saturn
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:19 am
Waa, no Alässe?! Man, sorcerers are the best arcane class, I think, so their loss really stinks.

No v4 for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:41 pm
How they going to drop Monks and Sorcerers! What a bunch of morons. I really hope this bites them in the a**. They don't deserve to make money with this kind of "change". And Gnomes? Now Halflings are going to be the only little guys! As if they didn't get picked on enough! (and I don't consider Dwarves as "little guys")  

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:20 pm
Yeah, they're making Teiflings core instead. They're "edgier", I guess they're hoping it'll get crawling in the skin of people who like it their way or the highway, and they'll use their last resort to shell out a hundred bucks of mommy and daddy's money on a new way to tell them "You don't understand me!".

In other news, I hate emo kids.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 am
Of course you hate emo kids, everyone hates emo kids! Including emo kids!

I'm glad I escaped being around them by a year or two. Yay for graduating before the creation of the worst social group in awhile!  

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200

Narsyssa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:00 pm
Just so everyone knows here is the basics behind 4.0.

4.0 is the pen and paper version of a video game based RPG. It is to be more like WoW then D and D. Me and my friends have all decided to regard 4.0 as a waste of money as 3.0 had turned out to be (until it was revised with 3.5).  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 pm
Narsyssa
Just so everyone knows here is the basics behind 4.0.

4.0 is the pen and paper version of a video game based RPG. It is to be more like WoW then D and D. Me and my friends have all decided to regard 4.0 as a waste of money as 3.0 had turned out to be (until it was revised with 3.5).

That is misinformation. Make sure you know the basics yourself before spouting to people who already know.  

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:12 am
Well, I already know, have been-there-and-all-I-got-was-this-lousy-t-shirt, and she it right.

It's D20-flavored WoW  
The Drunken Dwarf Tavern

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces