Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Bible Study/Devotional Time - How do you?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emikay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:19 am
I've noticed lately how many different methods there are for Bible Study/Devotion. You can go at it on your own, you can get a reading plan, a devotional book, you can have a friend or mentor ... there are so many ways.

I myself use a mix of methods, depending on my mood. I have a devotional/prayer journal ["Praying God's Word" by Beth Moore] which I try to do a devotion a day, sometimes two a day or one for two days, and then I take the main theme of the devotion and do individual research, using multiple concordances and past knowledge to find as many verses as I can on the topic. I write them on an index card which I place in a box I call my concordance. I also pick out my favorite of the verses and write it in the book. That's my 'devotional' time. Each night before I go to bed I try to read a chapter or two, I started the New Testament a while back and I'm just going to read it through. And also when inspired I pick up my Bible and read whatever comes to mind. Yesterday I was talking to my boyfriend about our favorites books. Mine is 1 John, but his is James. So when I got home I decided to read it, and I picked out some verses I liked and what not. It was quite enjoyable. It seems like a lot, but really, the devotional part takes me just 20-30 minutes. And I do most of the reading in the 10-20 minutes before I go to bed. And lately I've been really intrigued by the Bible, I've had a desire to read it and such. I just hope my fire for God continues growing, and is not extinguished when school starts back up and I'm shorter on time.

Anywho. Long story short, what do you do for Bible study/reading/devotion?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:40 pm
i do my devotionals in the morning, its just easier that way for me. too tired at night. but i do read a chapter or more every night. i do pick a random book and then read that book until im finish with it. currently im on revelations. just curious since i did read gensis already. but what i really want is some outside opinion on what i read. like a different prospective on what is being said kind of thing.

and also prayer helps. i do a lot of that and i really enjoy it. just thanking and praising God for everything.  

sunshinehearttrob

Grayfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 pm
I usually do my devotions at night, I'm reading through Isaiah right now. Sometimes I'll do it in the middle of the day when I need it (which is quite often actually) but I'm usually way too sleepy to do it in the morning.

I really like some devotion books, but I find just reading God's word is the best thing for me at this point in my life.

Good topic smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:00 am
Yea, I've found that sometimes when I'm having trouble understanding a verse or I need a verse for what I'm feeling at the moment, devotion books come in handy. But else-wise I prefer hearing what God has to say rather than what someone else has to say.  

Emikay

remusandsiriusrock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:46 am
What I'm doing right now is I'll read a chapter (I'm on Psalms at the moment), write in my jounal how it applies to my life ('cause that's what it's all about, right?), that I write out a prayer (I have a short attention span and would foget what I was saying otherwise).  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games