Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Sex ed. in public schools

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AspergersKitty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:50 pm
I know this is a hot button issue with many Christians. I'm intrested to know what everybody's views are on it. I know we should wait until marriage to have sex or any kind of that activity. However, we have to face the fact many teens will not wait. I knew preggie people in MIDDLE school. I say starting at 5th grade that kids should be taught about what sex is AND how to use protection. It isn't really a good thing to have people who aren't even teens get pregent. Regardless if you believe in abortion or not, you have to admit it's pretty traumatic to have a kid when you're still a kid! I don't think telling people how to use protection encourages them to have sex. Here are a few studies to look at for this topic:
http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/factsheet/fssexcur.htm
http://www.apa.org/releases/sexeducation.html  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:22 pm
If people know about sex and protection, it will hopefully help them to stay safe. A lot of kids are in the mindset of "If it's forbidden, that's all the more reason to do it!" Personally, I'd rather have my kid educated when it comes to sex than be in the dark. That way, they know what's going on and can make the proper choices. Either do it or don't, and if they do, be safe. I don't want any grandbabies....or kids at the moment, but that's a different story.  

vampy dave

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:31 am
I believe sex should be taught in public schools as acceptable, and as a natural and healthy way to release stress and also as one of the highest physical forms of love. Only in religion is sex ever, under any circumstance, deemed immoral, and North America is completely secular and should not be promoting any exclusively religious views in public schools.

I believe anatomy and ways to stay healthy should be taught in public schools, as necessary information to stay alive and disease-free, regardless of personal choices and morals. Only in religion is anatomy ever, under any circumstance, deemed immoral, and North America is completely secular and should not be promoting any exclusively religious views in public schools.

I believe contraception and disease prevention devices should be taught in public schools as acceptable, and even encouraged as a method to remain healthy. Only in religion is contraception ever, under any circumstance, deemed immoral, and North America is completely secular and should not be promoting any exclusively religious views in public schools.

I do not deny that abstinence should be taught as an alternative, but I do say that it should not be taught in schools as the only or best option, as that teaching has no effect on sex life and will only encourage feelings of guilt and fear, which both cause extreme stress and can lead to mental instability. Under a secular government, we cannot promote exclusively religious beliefs; it is arrogant and hurtful.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:35 am
I had always thought that abstinence was taught for three reasons:

1. You might not marry the person you had sex with
2. You are too young to be able to handle the responsibility of a child
3. You'll almost definitely get a disease w/ premarital sex; whereas after marriage there won't be diseases.

Now I know that 3 isn't necessarily true. Nonetheless, I still think abstinence is a good idea. It is more respectful to the person you marry, in my opinion.  

yzz_90

GO-YAFFA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:02 am
I advocate sex ed in high schools. My 8th grade religion teacher (who was a nun) taught us sex ed. She used to say: "As mush as I want you all to wait till marrige, I know some of you won't. So I'd rather you be educated and know the facts about your body, than to be ignorant and naive." And sex ed teaches about the body not just the act of sex.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 am
Hm.. i've never went to a sex ed class, tho we did talk about it in Health class lol. i have no sides on this.  

Uriel Arnauld

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm
Orizion
I had always thought that abstinence was taught for three reasons:

1. You might not marry the person you had sex with
2. You are too young to be able to handle the responsibility of a child
3. You'll almost definitely get a disease w/ premarital sex; whereas after marriage there won't be diseases.

Now I know that 3 isn't necessarily true. Nonetheless, I still think abstinence is a good idea. It is more respectful to the person you marry, in my opinion.

1. Doesn't matter, subjective morals don't apply to others.
2. It's called contraception. Also, adults can have pre-marital sex too.
3. Absolute bullshit; the likelyhood of disease transfer does not change with marriage.

Additionally; it's only "more respectful" to the person you marry if the person you marry would prefer you to be a virgin when you marry them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:27 am
sex ed. i know as a fact doesnt encourage people to have sex. i mean, what it probably begins in about six grade. six grade is about eleven twelve years olds...

its not like that never been expose to sex before. i mean come on...you know you have, just admit it.

sex ed. is just a overall of what will happen if you have sex. the possiblity of anyway. but high possiblities.

its goal is to scare the child or educated them about the results of sex.  

sunshinehearttrob

Angel_Nyx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:02 pm
I personally believe that it should be the parent's job to get over any awkward feelings they have about it and tell their kids about sex before it becomes the job of the school to do so. My mother sat me down the summer before third grade with a picture book about it (no, it wasn't graphic). Contraceptives should definately be covered in that talk as well. I also believe that abstinence should be taught as an option in schools, because let's face it, it IS the safest way to prevent pregnancy and STDs, but I believe that contraceptives should also be taught so that those who do not chose abstinence can at least have a chance at not ruining their life. Granted I believe that should be taught in late middle school/high school.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:25 am
I certainly plan to wait until marriage to have sex. I'll save myself for someone that I know loves me and will care for me, and who I love in that same way.  

Shadowfire7157

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:01 pm
Abstinence-only sex education just doesn't work. Our children need to be educated so that they can make educated decisions about their lives, not scared into ignorance and submission.

If you believe in abstinance, then putting condoms on bananas isn't going to change your beliefs in abstinance. If you don't believe in abstinance, being told over and over again that abstinance is the only way to go isn't going to change your desire to have sex. Abstinance should be included in comprehensive sex education as an option, of course, but it shouldn't be presented as the only option.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
I believe sex should be taught in public schools as acceptable, and as a natural and healthy way to release stress and also as one of the highest physical forms of love. Only in religion is sex ever, under any circumstance, deemed immoral, and North America is completely secular and should not be promoting any exclusively religious views in public schools.

I believe anatomy and ways to stay healthy should be taught in public schools, as necessary information to stay alive and disease-free, regardless of personal choices and morals. Only in religion is anatomy ever, under any circumstance, deemed immoral, and North America is completely secular and should not be promoting any exclusively religious views in public schools.

I believe contraception and disease prevention devices should be taught in public schools as acceptable, and even encouraged as a method to remain healthy. Only in religion is contraception ever, under any circumstance, deemed immoral, and North America is completely secular and should not be promoting any exclusively religious views in public schools.

I do not deny that abstinence should be taught as an alternative, but I do say that it should not be taught in schools as the only or best option, as that teaching has no effect on sex life and will only encourage feelings of guilt and fear, which both cause extreme stress and can lead to mental instability. Under a secular government, we cannot promote exclusively religious beliefs; it is arrogant and hurtful.

1. Having sex only releases short-term stress, and may cause long-term stress upon pregnancy, desire for abortion and unnecessary drama.
2. Sex is definitely one of the highest forms of physical love. Promoting sex as a common activity outside of marriage adulterates the love.
3. Religion is not the only reason why sex has ever, under any circumstance, been deemed immoral, and North America is not completely secular.
4. If religious views should be kept out of public schools, then topics such as evolutionism should be removed as well, for atheism itself is a religion, with faith in the absence of a god.
5. Anatomy has not been deemed immoral by Christianity.
6. If you deny that abstinence should not be taught as the best option to prevent pregnancy, then you do not know what abstinence is.
7. Abstinence itself does not lead to feelings of guilt and fear.
8. Sex has been the catalyst for many situations that has caused extreme stress and has lead to serious mental instability.
9. Since we do not have a secular government (despite common misinterpretation of division of church and state), we can promote religious beliefs, and atheists should be thankful.
10. If promoting religious beliefs is arrogant and hurtful, then all studies built off atheist minds are arrogant and hurtful.  

Pixelaine

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:56 am
Ignorance is bliss right?

bull crap. in fact there is nothing worse than ignorance and not knowing how to protect yourself if you can't be patient enough or your not strong enough to fight against the desires of the flesh.

you'd be surprised how many dont even bother using a condom, and i find that utterly digusting cuz what if you get pregnant? what if you dont want the child? then your stuck with the temptation of abortion.

i say they learn about sex as soon as they understand what they're hearing.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:35 pm
Pixelaine
1. Having sex only releases short-term stress, and may cause long-term stress upon pregnancy, desire for abortion and unnecessary drama.
Which is an argument against contraception education....how, exactly?

Quote:
2. Sex is definitely one of the highest forms of physical love. Promoting sex as a common activity outside of marriage adulterates the love.
How is saying "Here's a condom and this is how it works" promoting sex as a common activity? Condoms can be used in married sex too, y'know.

Quote:
3. Religion is not the only reason why sex has ever, under any circumstance, been deemed immoral, and North America is not completely secular.
But anything involving the State should be secular. Public schools are run by the State, therefore, public schools should not be governed by religious morals.

Quote:
4. If religious views should be kept out of public schools, then topics such as evolutionism should be removed as well, for atheism itself is a religion, with faith in the absence of a god.

American Herritage Dictionary
Religion
Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
Atheism is not a religion.

Not to mention, evolution is hardly something exclusive to atheism.

Quote:
5. Anatomy has not been deemed immoral by Christianity.
Yay for anatomy class, then. Not that it matters when it comes to public schools.

Quote:
6. If you deny that abstinence should not be taught as the best option to prevent pregnancy, then you do not know what abstinence is.
Comprehensive sex education does not exclude abstinence. It would and should teach abstinence as a very good option. It simply would not teach it as the only available option.

Quote:
7. Abstinence itself does not lead to feelings of guilt and fear.
Neither does having sex for many people.

Quote:
8. Sex has been the catalyst for many situations that has caused extreme stress and has lead to serious mental instability.
So has, say, taking enormously important exams. Should we ban those from public schools too?

Quote:
9. Since we do not have a secular government (despite common misinterpretation of division of church and state), we can promote religious beliefs, and atheists should be thankful.
You do have a secular government to the best of my knowledge (I'm not American, but I've read many of your Sumpreme Court cases; if a "wall of separation" doesn't imply separation of Church and State, then what the hell does it imply?)

You can promote freedom to follow whatever religious beliefs you choose, but you cannot promote specific religious beliefs.

And we've already covered that atheism is not a religion.

Quote:
10. If promoting religious beliefs is arrogant and hurtful, then all studies built off atheist minds are arrogant and hurtful.
Except that atheism isn't a religion.

And just because something doesn't require the existence of God (such as something like evolution), it doesn't mean that it excludes the existence of God. Many very talented scientists who believe strongly in evolution are quite religious. Not everything that doesn't say "GOD MADE IT ZOMG!" is automatically athieistic.  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

Zher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:46 am
AspergersKitty
I know this is a hot button issue with many Christians. I'm interested to know what everybody's views are on it. I know we should wait until marriage to have sex or any kind of that activity. However, we have to face the fact many teens will not wait. I knew preggie people in MIDDLE school. I say starting at 5th grade that kids should be taught about what sex is AND how to use protection. It isn't really a good thing to have people who aren't even teens get pregnant. Regardless if you believe in abortion or not, you have to admit it's pretty traumatic to have a kid when you're still a kid! I don't think telling people how to use protection encourages them to have sex. Here are a few studies to look at for this topic:
http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/factsheet/fssexcur.htm
http://www.apa.org/releases/sexeducation.html

I believe it should be, and i believe they should instead teach Christianity (but that will never happen). So yes, I mean if people are going to have sex, why not minimize the chance of something bad happening (HIV/AIDS, pregnancy)?

Plus, Sense condoms numb the feeling, maybe they wont like it and stop doing it... that or they would just take it off... neutral  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games