I had a pleasent experence
  I had to fend off family/friends
  I had to fight sleep
  other...
View Results

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:56 pm
Okay so there was a thread asking how long it took for people to read the latest book and the answers were anywhere from 3 to 18 but what were the trials you suffered? Most of us knew great need of sleep.

I also ate lots of candy and felt sick but because I wasnt sleeping and needed to keep my blood sugar up with only candy yeah...it wasn't so great.

As well I needed to sleep after reading for 4 hours. It was only for 45 minutes but it was still sleep.

The most difficult thing, however, was my mother. She kept popping in to see if she could steal my book. It's mine, mine, my lovely loevly book.

But it was worht it.

What did you go through with the half blood prince or any of the other books?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:15 pm
The first books I read a little every night. The fifth I read in 2-3 days maybe. And the sixth in one.

I loved it. I bought the book in the morning and got home and placed myself in the sofa. I remember the feeling when I read the first chapter. I had a big smile on my lips and my mother said that my whole face was shining. She looked at me and grinned.
Then I just read for hours, and had starting pouring outside without me noticing it. Once in a while my mum asked me if it was good and I nodded.
We had to go to my cousins house and eat dinner. So I read in the car the way there, and when we got there I placed myself in a chair and continued.
My cousins don't read alot so they kinda just glared at me.

The worst part was I had to leave the book when we ate! gonk But I ate fast and returned.
Also, on the evening when I was home my friend came over. She sat down next to me and studdied. (She had a huge test) And there we sat for hours.
Then my mother asked me and her come and join her to watch a show. I watched just a few minutes there and there and had my book in my lap.

After I finished the book, I loged into msn and waited for BeeBrittney to log in. She and I cried together and discussed the book.
Heh, that's pretty much the whole day. xd (Sorry for talking so much, lol)

(Love your ava Sakura)  

chibi_chan
Crew

GhoulPuppy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:53 pm
Well, after I got the book we had to go shopping.....Mum wouldn't let me read it as we walked so that sucked....Um.....read it on the drive home. That made me sick, got to our temporary home and the power was out during the monoon/thunderstorm. Had to read with a flashlight while trying to calm the panicked dog. Had to feed dogs, and feed self and little bro(RoseAxle on Gaia- give him a hello!) while Mum went to visit the Grandparents. Finally got to read for a while. Then around 11:30 Mum told me to go to bed. Read for a while after that with a flashlight and then Mum came back around midnight to tell me to actually go to sleep this time. She found it funny. Then I had to go on a picnic the whole next day without my book. Finally finished it that night. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:25 pm
I ended up never really reading the 6th book, except during nights. So I didn't get much sleep. When the book first came out I was in a hotel with my family and I couldn't convince my mom to get a taxi and find a bookstore at midnight. So we got HBP in the airport at 6am. The bookstore there was just opening. I mean they were just rolling out the bookshelves with HBP on it while I was dragging my mom towards it. Then I wouldn't put it down until my cousins wedding about five hours later. I also had to agrue with my mom over who got to read it first before it came out. It was so worth it though. (Duh).  

Crisp n Tangy

Iszi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:00 am
I only had to pretend that I was asleep and my mother would leave me alone for another few hours. Go fig.
I finished both books five and six in about eighteen hours each- I read at a good pace, but I always sit and ponder after every few sentences wondering, "what-if so-and-so said this?! How would things change?" Naturally, my test scores in reading comprehension are hard to beat- even for my teachers. Mwaaaa! domokun

I'm a dork. Sorry. sweatdrop

I am also known for sitting down and typing my favorite scenes up- only with myself inserted as a tormen... er, friend! The results get printed out and I invite people to read my brilliance- well, those I can catch. mrgreen
Yeah, it's technically The Original Mary-Sue... but it so much FUN: rofl running rampant and destroying the cannon plot... snarky come-backs for stupid dialogue... convincing Harry that he needs to snog Draco to save the world...
I think I'm doing the y'all a favor. cool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:02 am
Thank you Chibi-chan for the lovely compliment about my avvy. heart

I understand the issues with nonbelievers and the need to read. I had to take the next day off of work so I would have a free schedule. heart  

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

Mistress Miyako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:41 am
When reading the books, I've always had to make sure that my mom never saw them. She hates the Harry Potter books. So it takes me about a week.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:01 pm
I hated the fact that while i was reading i was called every 5-10 minutes to do some chore and this was even after i had told my mother that i did not wish to be bothered so with her interuptions it took me about 20 hours to read it over three days time  

Vanestra

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:41 am
Vanestra
I hated the fact that while i was reading i was called every 5-10 minutes to do some chore and this was even after i had told my mother that i did not wish to be bothered so with her interuptions it took me about 20 hours to read it over three days time

Ouch. That's a pain.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:22 pm
Once i had bought all of the books, i read all of them in a span of one week... no kidding... all six books, in 6 days and thats also with my regular sleep, so it was probably more like 5 days total reading time.
Of course once i was done reading all of the books i had to let my sisters and my mom read them, but now since we have the audiobooks on CD, me and my sisters act along with them in the den.  

Aquajade
Crew

ElegantSarcasm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:17 pm
Surprisingly, the only book with while reading was Order of the Phoenix, I think. My cousins were down at the time and I was being forced to do things with them instead of being left to read my book like I wanted. That book took me the longest to read because I kept getting interrupted. All the others, however, have been interruption and trial free. Not sleeping doesn't bother me much, but I usually sleep for a couple hours in the middle, otherwise I may get a headache and won't be able to read at all. That would be terrible.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games