Submit

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:36 pm
Quote:
Sins have no size. God does not render one sin worse than the other

you know its kind of funny that, that concept is in the bible. i know im leaning on my own understanding but honestly.....how could stealing something be as bad as purposly taking the life of another? or torturing someone compared to a simple lie?

im going to speculate here and say, maybe the reason why god sees all sins equal to each other is because each sin can lead itself into a larger sin. to make something big you have to start small right?

peeping tom can lead to lust issues.

stealing a little can lead to stealing larger things later in life.

torturing small animals could lead to wanting to kill others in the future.

examples like that. not saying they're concrete, just saying its a possibility.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:09 pm
I could understand your reasoning if he'd given them like...
A crossword puzzle or a word search and they had to chose that or death.
But putting someone in a trap and then timing their escape, it may not be physically murdering the person, but it is still murder. Their intent was to kill the person.

Ginger Snapple

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:16 pm
Raishon
[
It does say to not fill your brain with things that are bad. Notice how preachers do not condone watching movies of the sort. (Most preachers. Some do what they want and are not good leaders for the people in the church they serve God).

Ever read Judges, son? Read it. It's got some flat out disgusting stuff in it (even more so because it happened in real life). Sure, Saw was bad, but try a guy giving his whore up to be gang-raped, then, after a night of the aforementioned rape, the whore dies, so the man cuts her up into twelve pieces and sends her all around the country. Yeah, that is in the bible.

Quote:
I don't find how you can write on the topic of the Bible, and then write how you liked those movies that don't please the lord. You first tell some things to help a person, but you then give the person the ideas that "even though the man is doing wrong, the movies are good and you can watch them"

How do you know they don't please God? We don't have a direct connection, last time I checked. Besides, I think that movies such as Saw and it's sequals are rather interesting as the make me think, an activity which I enjoy.

Quote:
How do you know other people reading this won't decide "hey, he watches it, so that means I can too". What if they do out and then years down the road they are in a bad time in their life, remember what things they saw from the movies, and decide to execute them.

I am full aware of my responsibility here as someone who some people (apparently) quasi-look-up-to. I do not say or do things that I would not condone others doing. I know bloody well what I am doing and what the possible consequences are.

Quote:
How would you feel knowing you told somebody it was alright to fill their mind with evil content, and then know you were the person that gave them the information they used to commit bad deeds.

Quite bad. Which, incidentally, is why I don't tell people to do such things. Saw was a thought-compelling movie that gave rise to good discussion pertaining to morality and the human instinct.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:21 pm
SaintChaos

you know its kind of funny that, that concept is in the bible. i know im leaning on my own understanding but honestly.....how could stealing something be as bad as purposly taking the life of another? or torturing someone compared to a simple lie?

im going to speculate here and say, maybe the reason why god sees all sins equal to each other is because each sin can lead itself into a larger sin. to make something big you have to start small right?

Well, technically, there is one sin that is worse than the others (that being Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit), but, aside from that James 2:9-11 (as well as another verse that eludes me right now) shows us that, in fact, near all sins are the same in the eyes of God. They may not have the same earthly consequences, but they have the same eternal ones.  

ioioouiouiouio

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:35 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
SaintChaos

Well, technically, there is one sin that is worse than the others (that being Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit), but, aside from that James 2:9-11 (as well as another verse that eludes me right now) shows us that, in fact, near all sins are the same in the eyes of God. They may not have the same earthly consequences, but they have the same eternal ones.

You know another thought compelling but not so compelling movie? Butterfly Effect....

now THAT was interesting. and it took me a bit to realize that i was playing off these concepts, one of them being commonly known to us in the world, and the other one was a theory from the movie...

commonly known: your success is based off of someone else's suffering (not always true)

theory from the movie: to make everyone around him happy, he had to suffer ultimately.

interesting twist no? i love thought provoking movies. ^_^ and yes your right, thats what i loved about Saw 2, Jigsaw gave his reasons for what he was doing and he talked about the human instinct to live....

another good movie....Momentum....its a movie about a murder done literally BACKWARDS....you really have follow it closely to get whats going on but its done superbly.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff