Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Meditating...Buddhist?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ryoushinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:46 pm
I have a question. Ok, well ya know how Christians pray? Well since praying is like...worshipping God, would the Buddhist way to worship Buddha (or whatever that guy's name is) be meditating? I'm confused, cause meditating sounds fun but if it's a way of Buddist worship, i don't really want to.

I'm just curious since i don't know. Answers would be appriciated. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:36 am
As Christians, we meditate on God's word.  

Atarashi No Sensei

Tarrou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:39 am
Meditation is most certainly not a means of praying to Buddha or anyone else for that matter. (And given that Gautama Buddha himself stated that he was not a god, praying to him wouldn’t do much good anyway.) Firstly, meditation is not strictly a Buddhist practice; Hindus, Sikhs, Taoists, certain mystical Islamic sects, and others all practice some form of meditation. Secondly, meditation is not the same thing as prayer, the latter being a means of communication with a higher being (God) while the former is a means of developing oneself spiritually and mentally. So no, there's nothing wrong with a Christian meditating—go for it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:21 pm
meditation is naught but deep concentration, or pondering something, like God's word, for as was previously stated, we are to "meditate" on the word of Yaweh, for the Lord is our provider!  

Etherealemblem

ryoushinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:35 am
Ah! I get it now. Thank you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:35 am
I meditate all the time for Kendo, It's just.. clearing your mind. oh... and you dont necissarily need to do the cross-legged circled hands on your knees thing... I think thats mostly a 'hollywood' form of meditation.  

Kyoni Dizzy

dirtdevilgrunt13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:29 pm
meditating is always,I do it..
It helps me get myself together,I can talk to jesus when I do it..
Its fine if you do it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:42 pm
There is a type of meditating that's wrong...I've been in a room where the class was doing it and I didn't feel right...I dunno, hard to explain.

Anyways, it's the kind that focuses on yourself, or other gods, or whatnot. The kind they were doing...it felt more demonic than anything, lol. It was things like 'feel yourself sinking into the floor.' and like 'you're walking down a path in a beautiful garden, and someone's coming your way, blah blah blah, it's your innerself, embrace your inner self...' all that stuff. And yes, it was real. My teacher stayed in a Buddhist (I really can't spell, and I apologize) monestary for something like four months...so yeah. It just won't sit right with you if it's bad.

But the Bible does say to 'meditate on the word'. This simply means to think about it, not just hear it and let it slip your mind.

Elenielle

Shameless Lunatic

Curium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:17 am
I don't really know how much good this website will do you. But anyway, it tells you step-by-step how to meditate. And anyone can meditate, it's just to calm yourself down mostly.
http://mysite.verizon.net/biztrg2v/index.html  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:44 am
Sometimes i would try and get in a place where i would close my eyes and focus my energy...and just kinda lose myself.
Is that what your calling meditating?  

Siren of Saturn

Curium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:18 pm
Siren of Saturn
Sometimes i would try and get in a place where i would close my eyes and focus my energy...and just kinda lose myself.
Is that what your calling meditating?

just look at that link i posted and click page by page. it explains the art of meditation and what it truely means to meditate.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:10 pm
Of course,I use it for calming my self and for other things....  

dirtdevilgrunt13

phantom912

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:07 pm
ryoushinn
I have a question. Ok, well ya know how Christians pray? Well since praying is like...worshipping God, would the Buddhist way to worship Buddha (or whatever that guy's name is) be meditating? I'm confused, cause meditating sounds fun but if it's a way of Buddist worship, i don't really want to.

I'm just curious since i don't know. Answers would be appriciated. ^_^

i meditate every now and then. its just the clearing of one's mind so you can calm down, relax, you know. personally, idont believe there is anything wrong with it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:27 pm
To make it simple, meditating just means, "to engage in thought or contemplation; reflect."

SaviorSix

koreanusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:18 pm
praying isnt worshipping its talking to God. thats why a lot of christians fall in their faith because they dont talk to God. how the heck are you supposed to have a relationship with God without praying?  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games