Reply Debate and Discussion
Life after death

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

grazdreg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:22 am
I hear a lot of talk about "he is going to hell" and "she is going to hell". Personally i think this is rubbish; the reward for accepting Christ is life everlasting, and those that don't face Death in the firey river. Not eternal torment, but Death. Where did the whole idea of hell come into this?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:10 pm
Hmm.. really? Just.. oblivion? No eternal torment? ...is that what the Bible says?  

Guacamole-kun

grazdreg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:27 am
Sure does; there's that over-quoted John 3:16 (For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son so that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life) to quote but one  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:49 pm
grazdreg
Sure does; there's that over-quoted John 3:16 (For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son so that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life) to quote but one

Well, if you go back to the original greek, there are several ways that Hell are talked about (I believe that they are tartaroo, gehenna and one other). Culturally, all of them have different meanings.

However, the popular image of hell (fire, brimstone, and all that jazz) comes from the mentions of the Lake of Fire in Revalation.  

ioioouiouiouio

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:56 am
Revelation 21:8

"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."

Hebrews 9:27

"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,"

You die once, then you are judged by either your own deeds (going to the fiery pit of Hell) or by the grace of Jesus Christ (into eternal life in Heaven). The "second death" talked about is the eternal damnation in Hell as a consequence of your sin and not believing on Jesus Christ. Revelation is where the idea of a burning pit of Hell comes from, it's all over the place.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:58 pm
Hell came from when satan got thrown out of heaven to try over powering god.
So sinners go there.  

dirtdevilgrunt13

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:15 pm
LRD_nick
Hell came from when satan got thrown out of heaven to try over powering god.
So sinners go there.

That doesn't come from the Bible actually. Satan hasn't been thrown into Hell yet. Here's what the Bible says about "Satan", "The Devil" or "The Evil One".

1 Peter 5:8
"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Job 1:7
"The LORD said to Satan, 'From where have you come?' Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it."

These passages don't exclude that Satan has a dwelling place, but the Bible makes no mention of God creating one. It does however say that Satan spends most of his time prowling about earth trying to devour us. If Satan was "thrown out", he was thrown down to earth and not Hell. Which would also be supported by a Satan-based interpretation of the following passage.

Ezekiel 28:17
"Your heart was proud because of your beauty;
you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor.
I cast you to the ground;
I exposed you before kings,
to feast their eyes on you."

Many take Ezekiel 28 to be about Satan, and I semi-believe this case due to the language used. But if you take this stance, this passage clearly states that Satan was cast to "the ground" or earth, and not sent to his final resting place in the burning lake of sulfur.  
Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games