Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:23 pm
I've never been this thrilled about how well a piece of my artwork has turned out before! whee
So as you guys know by now, I'm apeshit about the lake freighters. And there was this one locally-famous shipwreck in 1975 of the vessel known as the Edmund Fitzgerald. In the very same storm that sunk the Fitzgerald, just a few short miles away from it, was another vessel named the Arthur M. Anderson that somehow miraculously survived and led the search for any Fitzgerald survivors. The Anderson still serves today, and is my personal favorite ship for its sleek design and heroic history. So I decided to paint it in that very storm:
User Image

(Reference image of the real Anderson: [XX] )

I also added a quote I thought fit to the back:
User Image

I'll be writing the lyrics "The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay if they'd put fifteen more miles behind her..." (from the song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot) on the sides of the paddle, too, once I get a sharpie paint pen.

I'm just so happy with how good it turned out -- it ended up just like how I imagined it, which is insanely rare when it comes to art. biggrin The photos don't even do the actual painting justice.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm
Good job. It looks pretty good. I wish I could see how good it really looks like since you said the photos don't quite do it justice.  

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:07 pm
Kor Saiyajinkami
Good job. It looks pretty good. I wish I could see how good it really looks like since you said the photos don't quite do it justice.

Thanks. smile

And yeah, the colors are a bit different in person. They're more subtle and moody, as they should be -- the camera seemed to oversaturate the blue and red. There are also more layers of color and depth of texture than the picture picked up on.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Kor Saiyajinkami

Thanks. smile

And yeah, the colors are a bit different in person. They're more subtle and moody, as they should be -- the camera seemed to oversaturate the blue and red. There are also more layers of color and depth of texture than the picture picked up on.

You're welcome. Cool. Sounds like it is better in person.  

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150