(Backlog)

The hike to his father's den was a long one. One of his father's apprentices had sent for him early that morning, saying that his father had something important for him to do. He had left his cubs alone in his den. Luckily his was further away then the other pride members. He had always kept his distance, knowing that the other pride members saw him as weak and a disgrace.

It was true though. He had made so many mistakes. His own father treated him like dirt. The last thing he wanted was for his offspring to be mistreated.

When he reached the top he saw Majanga waiting outside his den. The sith lord was staring in the direction of the forest, most likely where the jedi temple was. He did not know his father as well as some of the other pride members, but he knew that he had an obsession with the jedi. There were times when his father talked about the jedi that it sounded like he admired them, but then other times it was obvious that he wanted the order to burn down.

“You asked to speak with me father?” Izrail asked, bowing his head down. Majanga turned around and looked at his son. Izrail could feel the judging eyes upon him.

“Yes. Thank you for coming here at such short notice. There is a small task I have for you.” Majanga responded.

That was never good. His father had sent him on a couple missions already. All led to failure. “Are you sure that I am right for the job? You do have a number of more talented apprentice then me.”

Majanga chuckled. He wondered how different Izrail would have been if he had raised him. Perhaps if he raised him, he would have a proper heir by now. It was useless to dwell on the what ifs. “This is a task I cannot trust anyone else with my son. It has to be you.”

He walked into his den. Izrail was not far behind him. His den had small trinkets, but nothing of real value. Only small sentimental objects. “The sith have all been trained to be ruthless killers, perfect soldiers. It is wonderful in times of war. But in this case, I do not need an emotionless murderer.” He explained. “There is a lioness that I have been taking care of. I wanted her to be brought back to health, but I am afraid there wasn't much I could do for her.”

Izrail realized what his father would ask him to do. “Father I can't.”

Majanga laid down. “She was pregnant with a little of cubs. Four healthy cubs. I have kept them at a distance from her to insure her sickness doesn't spread to them. I am doing everything in my power to keep them safe.” He said. “The lioness is a fighter though. She reminds me so much of your mother.”

A shiver went down Izrail's spine. The only time Majanga ever mentioned his mother was when he first arrived here. It was uncomfortable hearing his father talk about her. His mother had always said, nothing but kinds things about Majanga. Now that he knew him, he realized that his mother only saw what he wanted her to see. “Do not talk about my mother. Do not compare her to anyone.” He said, letting out a growl. Majanga may walk all over him, but he did not want to hear his father talk about his mother and wanted to make sure he was understood.

“I apologize Izrail,” Majanga responded, allowing a pause before he spoke. He did not react to his son's growl. Instead he gave a small, understanding smile. “I forget sometimes that your mother was only in my life for a brief time. She was apart of yours for so long. You have a much better understanding of what she was like.”

“Father, I am not like your apprentices. I cannot kill this lioness, even to put her out of her misery. Get someone else to kill for you.” Izrail said as he started heading toward the entrance.

“I would never force you to kill someone. For this task, I do not need a killer, I need you to just be you.” Majanga spoke, making Izrail stop and turn around. “I am afraid that the lioness, Mazal, will not accept the medicine or food I give her. After the cubs were taken away, she thought that I had nothing but ill intent for her. She doesn't trust me, but I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. My own son doesn't trust me.”

Izrail stared at his father. It was a surprise to say the least. Majanga had always encouraged him to fight, to learn to kill. He wanted him to become a jedi hunter. Izrail had just assume that Majanga would want him to kill the lioness. “I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion. I am sorry father.”

“You are not at fault Izrail. I have been pushing you to be something that you are not since you arrived. It was wrong of me. I wanted you to feel apart of the pride, but I have only made things more difficult for you. I was hoping with this mission I could show you that I am not the monster you probably think I am.” Majanga explained. “This is a task I know you are capable of. You took care of your mother for years, making her feel as comfortable as you could. I need you to do this for Mazal.”

“I do not see you as a monster.” Izrail responded, walking closer to Majanga. “My mother was in love with you. She told me story after story of all the wonderful things you did for her and others. She would never be able to fall in love with someone who was completely terrible.”

It was a rare moment when Majanga genuinely smiled. Most of the time it was a fake or mocking smile, but for a brief moment he allowed himself to smile. He stood up and walked to his pile of trinkets and pulled out a beaded bracelet with a single round, carved gem on it.

Izrail stared at it. “My mother had a bracelet just like that.” He said. Majanga passed it to him.

“We got them at the same time. Your mother crafted this one and I crafted hers. I had lucked out. She was a very talented lioness. I am afraid mine was nothing compared to hers. It is a small comfort though knowing she still had it.” Majanga said.

Izrail went to hand it back, but Majanga shook his head. “It is yours now Izrail. I should have given it to you the moment you arrived.”

“Thank you father.” Izrail said, as he tied the bracelet around his front paw. “I will go to Mazal and see if there is anything I can do for her.”

Majanga watched his son leave. He wondered how the events would play out. There was of course a desired outcome, but he wasn't sure if the timing was right. He hadn't expected Izrail to react so poorly toward him. However he felt like the bond between them was closer. He was almost certain Izrail would do the right thing though. Soon Mazal would be dead and his son would finally have his first kill.

WC: 1,246