Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply THIS IS HALLOWEEN
[CYOA] Human Studies: Superstitions (Malik/Magda)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 am
Quote:
(VAGUELY CYOA) HUMAN STUDIES: SUPERSTITIONS

It Begins:
An extracurricular class pops up on the notice boards. It seems that Professor Winter is taking a small handful of students to the Human World! It stresses that this particular trip will be a little different: it will be held on the (holiday) Halloween. The goal of this little trip is to allow students to see something a little unique. That being: how Humans act on Halloween's most important Holiday.

If you are interested, the notice announces, you should meet Professor Winter at her office. It also promises bonus credits!

On the appointed day, you go and meet with the Professor. She explains the situation to you, and has you sign a bunch of official looking documents - thankfully, they're not demon contracts. They're just the legal papers necessary to allow an underaged creature into the Human world, and that by signing they understand that they could be in big trouble and blah blah blah jail time blah blah ruined forever-

You sign the paper without reading the rest.

The object of this trip, Winter explains, is to study Humans on this particular night. There is something they call superstitions, which she explains is defined as 'a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief'. Basically: silly things that Humans do because they feel it causes or hinders things beyond their ultimate control. Apparently, she continues, such superstitions run rampant on the Human side of Halloween (the holiday).

As a guest in the Human World, you are expected to try and spot these apparent superstitions, and try to figure out the reason behind them. Though, she stresses, even just seeing them without understanding their reasoning could still be a fantastic learning point. There might even be a more detailed class on them in the future, too.

Winter equips you with a sort of glamour that would render you invisible to Humans, and finally gives you your temporary (and heavily conditional) passport, and sends you on your way.

You find yourself in a random town, in a random place in the Human World. You may find out where you are, of course, but you can also choose to be blissfully ignorant of your exact location. You can explore a bit - just a little bit - before getting down to business!

THE OOC

YOU ARE NOW IN THE HUMAN WORLD
  • Please respond to the prompt above either in this thread if solo, or, if you'd like to adventure with friends, make a PRP!
  • Your character may explore their area if they like, just be sure to RP it out!
  • Keep in mind that your student is there to STUDY the humans! Frightening, grabbing, or maiming in any way will result in severe consequences to your character. Winter is always watching.
  • Once you have responded to the above, and your character is ready to move on, you may continue. Please note that the rest of this is in a CYOA format! Please don't read the other options, simply choose what is most IC for your character. You may also choose the setting of the town or the layout and type of house - have fun with this! Keep it PG-13.

You only have a short time in the Human World, and so you choose to make the best of it. It seems you have two choices in which to observe some humans: You can either stay and wander the streets, or you can go and visit a populated human home.

--> Stay OUTSIDE

You decide to go out and adventure on the streets of a regular Human city! You stay to the shadows as much as you can, but the glamour you were given with your temporary passport will allow you to walk among the Humans if you are brave enough.
  • Roll 4d10 in separate posts. If you get a repeat, you may choose to go up or down one number to ensure you have four different results!
    • 1: You spot a rather nervous-looking human tying knots into a handkerchief!
    • 2: You notice one of their pockets is a little lumpy - as you watch, you realize there is a lump of bread in there. How strange!
    • 3: There are a few humans looking at the sky tonight. In fact, they're doing their best to not look down!
    • 4: You come across a gaggle of humans, looking into a stream while holding lamps?
    • 5: Oh dear, someone spotted you! It was just a glimpse, but you see them freeze - and then they walk around you nine times (you counted!) really fast. You did your best not to move, just in case. Then they left, looking relieved.
    • 6: One human seems to have stopped breathing while they walked past a cemetery…
    • 7: A human walks past you, and it takes you a minute to realize what's strange about that: it seems their clothes are on backwards and inside out…plus, they're walking backwards.
    • 8: You find a ring of pebbles around what looks like an old bonfire. You nudge one with your foot.
    • 9: There's a human standing in the middle of a cross roads. They seem to be listening for something…so you decide to tell them about your life. They leave, muttering about how weird THEIR life was going to be.
    • 10: So many are dressed up! …Wait, are they dressed up? Do humans usually look like this?
  • Time sure flies when you're having fun, and before you know it, you're being called back to the portal. It's time to go home!
  • Once you have finished, you may continue below:

Choose one of the following options:
--> Write a Report
Humans are quite fascinating, aren't they? You've seen so many interesting things here that you've chosen to do the extra assignment! Once you are back in Halloween, you sit down and write out a report on what you've found.

The OOC

If you choose this route, you must:
  • Actually write out their findings, in your character's own words, using the form below.
  • Post their report in Professor Winter's Office!

If you complete these requirements, you receive:
  • +2 rp point for completion, as long as you went over 600 words.
  • +2 raffle tickets, which may be used here!*
    xxx *- Please note, you can not claim the +2 tickets until you've posted your character's report in Winter's office thread!

[size=15][b][color=orange]REPORT: Halloween 2k15 Human Studies[/color][/b][/size]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Location:[/b] OUTISDE/INSIDE
[b]Report:[/b]

( Write out their findings and thoughts on their findings here! )

[b]Would I go back to the Human World again:[/b] (If so, why?)
[b]One thing I wonder about Humans:[/b]

--> Do Nothing
Armed with the conclusions you've drawn about the humans, you simply choose to return to Halloween, and go back to your daily life.

The OOC

If you choose this route, you receive:
  • +1 raffle ticket, which may be used here!

--> Visit a HOME

Outside seems pretty standard - now what would be REALLY COOL is to actually go inside a Human Dwelling! See how they really live. Perhaps they are the incredibly primitive people you've always thought them to be! You eventually pick a house simply because there are a few of them in it.
  • Roll 4d10 in separate posts. If you get a repeat, you may choose to go up or down one number to ensure you have four different results!
    • 1: Some humans are putting out jack-o-lanterns both in and outside of their homes! They all seem to have candles in them.
    • 2: A cute little bat is trying to get into this human's house! You open the door and let it in.
    • 3: A regular black cat meows at you from a window sill.
    • 4: It seems people in costume are given free candy! You consider trying to get free candy, but you're a little too scared of getting in trouble to do it. Or perhaps you're just too lazy.
    • 5: It's really quiet in this house all of a sudden. You can hear the floorboards creak under your feet…
    • 6: You find a group of humans all around a bunch of candles. You decide to blow one out, but - now the humans are screaming?
    • 7: The human is talking about knocking on a wall - but hey, why not, right? So you knock three times. Three is a nice number. Except now the human is talking about 'knocks of death' …oops?
    • 8: There's a strangely lettered and numbered board that the humans are sitting around. You decide to move the little plug around on them, and spell out fun words.
    • 9: Someone tries to talk to you. They mention something about being born in Halloween…or was it on halloween? Either way, you panic and leave before the conversation gets too deep.
    • 10: You watch a human walk around their dwelling three times, backwards and counterclockwise. Then they knock on a nearby piece of wood.
  • Time sure flies when you're having fun, and before you know it, you're being called back to the portal. It's time to go home!
  • Once you have finished, you may continue below:

Choose one of the following options:
--> Write a Report
Humans are quite fascinating, aren't they? You've seen so many interesting things here that you've chosen to do the extra assignment! Once you are back in Halloween, you sit down and write out a report on what you've found.

The OOC

If you choose this route, you must:
  • Actually write out their findings, in your character's own words, using the form below.
  • Post their report in Professor Winter's Office!

If you complete these requirements, you receive:
  • +2 raffle tickets, which may be used here!*
    xxx *- Please note, you can not claim the +2 tickets until you've posted your character's report in Winter's office thread!

[size=15][b][color=orange]REPORT: Halloween 2k15 Human Studies[/color][/b][/size]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Location:[/b] OUTISDE/INSIDE
[b]Report:[/b]

( Write out their findings and thoughts on their findings here! )

[b]Would I go back to the Human World again:[/b] (If so, why?)
[b]One thing I wonder about Humans:[/b]

--> Do Nothing
Armed with the conclusions you've drawn about the humans, you simply choose to return to Halloween, and go back to your daily life.

The OOC

If you choose this route, you receive:
  • +1 raffle ticket, which may be used here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:03 am
So they were going to the human world it seemed. He wasn't sure if he should be afraid of going or excited. Maybe a little of both. He had decided not to bring Sir Reginald with him on this little endeavor, but now that the little mew wasn't by his side he felt a bit lonely. He still didn't really know anyone around Amityville, and now he regretted that more than ever. He could just go up to some ghoul or boil and ask to join their group on this field trip, but that may potentially be a bit awkward. Especially since he was a coward. They would be invisible to the humans at least, probably for the best considering some of the other students and their terrifying appearances. Shaking his head, he decided to ignore all his concerns for now and instead search for some sort of partner for this adventure they were going on. It would be better than going on it alone, and probably more fun as well. He didn't have a preference on who he paired with, so he wandered up to the first student he spotted. A blue winged ghoul who looked more like a dragon to him than anything else, but he could always be wrong.

"E-excuse me. I uh....well we're both going on this field trip, so would you like to partner up and uhm....explore together?" he questioned, feeling his face heat up as he realized how foolish he sounded.

Way to talk smoothly to the ghouls, Malik.

[255]

Nio Love

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:14 am
Magda couldn't believe the school was allowing them to go into the human world for observation. If she'd known this was such a common activity, she would have joined Amityville far sooner! The human world was twice as mad as her own, and it was exciting her to think that she was about to get to see it.

She craned her head to try and get a better look, but she stopped when she heard a voice speaking to her. A boil, requesting to partner up. With her! Someone had gone out of their way to speak to her on purpose. Wasn't that just delightful!

"Magda Szaimy," She called out with a bright smile, even though he'd never asked her his name. She reached out for his hand and gave it a hearty shake. "Lucky day indeed, thank you, thank you! Having a partner to explore the lovely terror of the human world sounds positively splendiforous to me. Please, let me take you up on your kindly offer."

She was still shaking his hand.

"It's a pleasure to partner. I'm really very happy. Excuse my excitement on the matter, it's just - this is all very new to me. Partnering. I will not let you down. I will partner with such effort, you will wonder how you managed unpartnered all your days before this one. It will be a wonderment."

Magda had never been so talkative - but she'd never been someone's first pick to do something with, either. She was very pleased.

OpticPeach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:33 am
"W-well I am glad to hear it! I promise to try and b-be the best partner as well!" Well that had been a lot easier than he had expected. He had expected rejection or a scoff or maybe even being ignored. Not well....such enthusiasm. Not that he minded. It was nice encountering someone so willing to be around him of all people. It didn't exactly happen very often. He wasn't charismatic or anything, so staying interesting to people was a bit hard. Now he just had to figure out how to keep being interesting to not bore her! Well first things first, he needed to introduce himself. That's what polite people did! Shaking her hand back, he smiled up at the ghoul and hoped his voice would calm itself for a moment so he could actually get some words out without stuttering.

"I'm Malik. I-it's really nice to m-meet you." Well so much for that. At least she knew his name now. It was a start to what he hoped would be a great partnership between them, even if it was supposed to be a small one. He would do his best to make sure things went well.

"So uh....everyone seems to be just wandering about. W-would you like to explore in a human's home, or maybe stay outside? The town is probably very big so l-lots of room to cover."

[231]

Nio Love

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:02 am
"Oh, no." Magda whispered, suddenly serious as she leaned in to face him. "No, you musn't be the best partner, because that is my job. You can be the second best partner. Partner at arms. Partner et Secundo. Partpartner. Yes, the last. Come, partpartner, let's away together."

She crooked her arm under his, and slunk off to investigate the human world. Already a conflict arose, as the options were given. Did she want to go inside their home, or walk around their town? "Truth be told, partpartner Malik, I wish I was two people, so that I could do them both. We are two people, but we would be terrible partners if we went in separate directions, wouldn't we? This is what partners do, I suppose. They stick together."

But she hedged, flip-flopping from one decision to another. Finally, she shook her head in one swift nod.

"I must know how they live inside their little square box homes. I have decided. Do you agree with my decision, partpartner?"

OpticPeach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:15 am
Magda was an interesting ghoul, that was for sure. She wasn't bad or anything just different than he was used to. He sort of enjoyed it. He still wasn't really sure what she was or why she was speaking the way she was, but he wasn't going to question it. He'd be her partpartner for as long as she needed him to be.

"I fully support your decision first best partner. We can figure out just what their homes are like and perhaps even spot one doing something really interesting." While other demons would balk at the idea of taking second seat to something like this, Malik was perfectly content letting Magda lead them around. She was fun and would probably run into much more interesting things than he could think to do.

[133]

Nio Love

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love rolled 1 10-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-10)

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:20 am
Entering a quaint little house with an open door was easy enough. Magda inhaled a deep breath and began to turn in place, taking in the sight of a typical household. She touched every portrait on the walls, and every trinket on the tables. Then she heard the sounds of children calling out for trick or treat, and one of the inhabitants appeared from out of nowhere to reward the dressed up children with candy. She put down the bowl once she was done, and Magda moved to stand in front of it.

She bent down until she was an inch away from the candy, and inhaled the scent of it deeply.

"Cavity inducing delight." She whispered gleefully.

Quote:
4: It seems people in costume are given free candy! You consider trying to get free candy, but you're a little too scared of getting in trouble to do it. Or perhaps you're just too lazy.

opticpeach

OpticPeach rolled 1 10-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-10)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:27 am
Quote:
3: A regular black cat meows at you from a window sill.

"Psst. H-hey! Hey Mags! First partner!" Malik called out to her, motioning to the cute little black cat on the window sill. He was so pleased to see it he ran right up to it in an attempt to pet the creature. He was really glad he hadn't brought Sir Reginald or there would've been some sort of kitty fight. He really didn't want to explain that if it had happened. He just hoped his little companion wouldn't be able to smell this other cat on him and punish him for it. He just wanted to pick the little critter up and show his partner, but that would be fairly dangerous if the inhabitants found a floating cat in their house. No, he would just have to admire from afar and hope for the best. It was at least nice to see they shared something in common with humans.

[149]

Nio Love

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love rolled 1 10-sided dice: 10 Total: 10 (1-10)

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:38 am
Magda gasped at Malik's discovery, and abandoned her steadfast observation of the candy in favor of coming to admire it as well. "Look, how it stays the same color, and never disappears. It is unparalleled in solidity! I have not seen the like!"

She turned her head to him and grinned, a quiet giggle escaping her. The giggle died in her throat when she realized a man - silver haired and hunched over with age - was walking backwards behind her and Malik. She nudged her head towards him for her partner to see, and placed her hands on both of her cheeks as she watched.

He walked backwards three times, and knocked on a piece of wood. Magda clutched her heart, and then Malik's sleeve. "He is performing the sacred dance of the widgerwallop." She whispered at her partner in awe. "He means to summon the underbeasts here in the human world, and choose one as his mate. It's so romantic! I can't wait to tell my sister."

Quote:
10: You watch a human walk around their dwelling three times, backwards and counterclockwise. Then they knock on a nearby piece of wood.

opticpeach

OpticPeach rolled 1 10-sided dice: 5 Total: 5 (1-10)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:45 am
"The underbeasts? A mate? W-where exactly are you from, Magda?" Malik questioned the girl, blushing as she clutched his sleeve. He did have to admit the strange ritual the older man was doing was interesting, but perhaps not a summoning ritual like she assumed. He could also be wrong as well. He wasn't too sure about any of the things going on at the moment. He turned back towards Magda, preparing to say something to her when he realized just how quiet the house now was. It was really really strange.

"Shhh. Follow me, okay?" he whispered, putting a finger to his lips and then grabbing her hand to lead her on. The floorboards creaked under his feet, but the rest of the house was still incredibly silent. Just what in Jack's name was going on with these humans? He really hoped they hadn't been alerted to their presence. He was sure there was something bad that would happen if they were caught by humans. They'd probably never be allowed back, and he'd hate for that. The humans were interesting and he really wanted to witness more of their strange rituals.

[191]

Nio Love

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love rolled 1 10-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-10)

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:56 am
Magda opened her mouth to answer with pride, but he'd shushed her, and she fell silent. He led her through creaking floorboards, and she tiptoed dramatically through them. Eventually the silent, creepy moment passed, and the sounds of children returned to their senses.

Still, she did not speak, because playing the silent game was something she was much better at than her sister. (And that was a point of pride.)

Eventually a human returned to their point of view, plopping down a jack-o-lantern with candles inside. She waited for the human to leave, before tipping the top open just a little and peering inside. The candle cast an eerie glow on her dark features.

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe."

That was how she answered where she was from. It was altogether nonsense, and gave him absolutely no real answers. Just the way she liked it.

"It's lovely in the Tulgey Wood." Well, now there was an answer. She put the top back on the pumpkin and smiled sweetly at him. "You should visit sometime. Why? Where are you from?"

Quote:
1: Some humans are putting out jack-o-lanterns both in and outside of their homes! They all seem to have candles in them.

opticpeach

OpticPeach rolled 1 10-sided dice: 8 Total: 8 (1-10)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:11 am
Quote:
8: There's a strangely lettered and numbered board that the humans are sitting around. You decide to move the little plug around on them, and spell out fun words.

"Me? Well nowhere as exciting as you I'm sure. I would definitely like to visit the Tulgey Wood if allowed," he nodded, pausing as he heard more giggles from humans inside another house. He wasn't sure if they were allowed to go to more than one house, but it couldn't hurt to see more than one right? It would help the experience! He'd also get to hang out with Magda more. As long as she was okay with sticking around with him it would all be okay.

"Let's go check out that place, partner. I think there's some humans up to things," he muttered, creeping into said house. Once inside he spotted the humans sitting around in what appeared to be a resting area of some sort. Along with that was a strange board with letters on it. Well they did seem really into it, but maybe if he just did a little more.....He began spelling out words, jumbles of things that really seemed to make no sense. The humans seemed frightened by the words moving, but he found it incredibly fun and motioned for Magda to try it too.

Nio Love
/sobs Lost internet because of floodpocalypse round 2 so I may be a little slower to tag.

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love rolled 1 10-sided dice: 9 Total: 9 (1-10)

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:12 am
"Everyone is allowed to visit Tulgey Wood!" She assured him, but the twinkle in her eye suggested that it was leaving that would be the more difficult. Nevertheless she followed him into the other house, and watched him fiddle with the humors of some humans, before bending in herself to take a look.

"I always know when you're here." She heard the whisper, and turned her head to the human beside her - who was disarmingly staring right at her. She pulled her head back and his eyes followed, even as she backed away towards Malik. "Don't go. Don't be scared. I'm a child of Halloween."

Magda looked to Malik, mouthing in shock is he one of us? But the human simply meant he'd been born on that day, and could see the shadows as they crept around and watched the other humans play.

The human was getting up from the circle, and walking towards her. Magda felt the humor of the trip beginning to wane, in place of a cold, uncomfortable dread.

"I don't rightly like it here anymore, Malik." She whispered, grasping his hand firmly in her own. "I think it's time to partner our way home."

opticpeach
SHE WILL STILL FOLLOW HIM in your last roll but I figure since it's the last one <3

OpticPeach rolled 1 10-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-10)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:16 pm
Malik was just as concerned by the strange human spotting them as she was, and quickly pulled the ghoul back outside of the human house. He wasn't sure if the human meant them harm or not, but he wasn't willing to stick around to find out. He did spot more of the costumed humans receiving candy and even thought about going over to them to see if he could get some to bring back as well, but decided against it. They had to be getting back soon anyway, and with that last little scare he was more eager than ever to be back home. Even with their strange encounters they had he was still pleased with how everything had turned out. He'd learned at least a little bit about human customs, and even got to go around with a great partner too.

"We should be getting back now, shouldn't we? I would definitely not like to get into trouble by being late," he smiled, taking her hand and leading her back to the portal.

Nio Love
Woo woo done!

OpticPeach

Otherworldly Bear

Nio Love

Enthusiastic Lunatic

17,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:06 am
Magda was all too happy to let him take her back to the portal, because she was still a little creeped out - and that kept her quiet for several minutes, which meant she exploded with conversation once they were back in Amityville.

If Malik thought partnering had ended after the trip was over, he would be sorely disappointed.

opticpeach
just a quick wrap to prepare for next thing!

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games