"You're really going back?" Odd Haleifr asked his half-sister for what was probably the sixth time since she'd shared her decision with him.

Kazul leveled an exasperated look at her favorite family member and answered him, "Yes, of course I am. Ru reversed Njal's edicts, and I know it's so that I can come back."

"All right," Odd said.

The fox-furred lion did not mention that it could also have something to do with the fact that Njal's actions toward Aesir's family had been basically illegal and certainly unusual. He had brought it up before and Kazul had refused to consider it a major factor in Ru's proclamation. He could understand that. After all, she and Ru had been very close prior to his quest and Aesir's fall.

Nevertheless, he did not share his half-sister's confidence that all of this was about her. It seemed more likely to him that Ru was doing this simply because an injustice had been done and he felt that reversing it was the right thing to do. Not that he truly believed Ru would have stopped caring for Kazul, but he did not imagine that things between the two would be able to simply pick up where they left off.

"You don't have to come back, you know," she pointed out. It wasn't something she said to indicate that she didn't want him to return if he wouldn't agree with her. She was merely reminding him that it was his choice, and she didn't necessarily expect him to go along with her choice.

"I know," he said quietly, thinking that in fact, he probably would not. At least, he would not stay in the stronghold. He had ever lived in the forest and he saw no reason to relocate at this point in his life. He would, however, make it known that he was still alive and still considered himself one of the pride.

"I would like you to come back, but it's ultimately your decision. And not one you have to make right away. It didn't sound like there was a time limit on when we could return."

Kazul was talking more now than she had in a very long time. She was excited about something for the first time in recent memory. It was probably ridiculous, foolish, and insanely naive for her to think that she could just go home, become the warlord's consort, and live more or less the life she had expected to lead before Njal challenged her father. She knew better. But she could not help hoping. This was Ru.

"I'll make sure the lawspeakers know I'm still of the pride," Odd assured his sister. "But I am comfortable in forest, and prefer to live here."

Besides, there was one other matter that he and Kazul had not really talked much about, and that was Orla. She was one of the Stormborn, but she did not care to live in the stronghold among so many aggressive and violent personalities, which was a preference Odd could easily understand. If he wanted to remain close to her, it would behoove him to remain in the forest.

"I thought that would be the case, but you know you'll always be welcome in our den," Kazul answered.

The green lioness wasn't bothered by Odd's declaration that he intended to continue living in the forest. He had lived in the forest all his life, although the two of them had spent a considerable amount of time together in the stronghold when they were growing up and he had sometimes stayed the night in their father's den. She knew he considered the forest home. She also knew about his relationship with Orla, although she did not have much to say on the subject.

Odd's ear twitched when Kazul spoke the words "our den." He could easily surmise that she was referring to a den she would share with Ru, but he was concerned that she was making this assumption about her living arrangements and her reunion with Ru. It might be just too much of an assumption on her part. Things would probably be different now. Not just in the pride, but between her and Ru, too.

"What?" Kazul had seen the ear twitch and she recognized what it meant, if not what had prompted it.

"I think you should be cautious."

"If Skjoldr was misinformed, I can defend myself well enough. Frankly, though, even if Ru has not yet repealed Njal's edict, I can't imagine he would be pleased to see me come to harm."

Odd agreed with her on that particular point, but not on the general assumption, and he said as much. Doing so earned him a sharp look and an equally sharp invitation to explain that almost took the form of a command.

"You are not the same lioness you were when Ru left the pride," he told her, gentle and blunt at the same time. "You've changed. You're a much harder person than you were, and you had to shoulder adult responsibilities very quickly. What if Ru hasn't made complementary changes?"

Kazul's scorn was withering. "Of course he's grown up, too. He's been a captain forever. He was the youngest captain in the pride. I think he knows about adult responsibilities. Relax."

Odd could neither relax nor relent. He knew Kazul would not hear him, but he had to keep trying. He didn't want to see her hurt.

"And what about your cubs? They're very clearly not his. Will he be adult enough to accept that? Men don't like to be reminded of things like that. What will you do if he takes a dislike to your cubs?" Honestly, Odd didn't see that happening, but he felt obligated to put forth the possibility for her consideration.

"Don't be ridiculous," Kazul said. "They've grown up. He can interact with them as much or as little as he likes."

For a moment Odd just stared at her, uncomprehending, then he spoke disbelievingly. "You mean to say that you are willing to disavow or forget about your cubs completely if Ru decides he doesn't want them around? We've had our disagreements in the past about how you raised them, but this is something else, Kazul. You cannot abandon your cubs in the pride after the way you raised them and expect them to integrate without your help."

"You managed all right in a similar situation," she countered.

"Yes. Because you were there, helping. Look at how well my siblings didn't adapt. If you do this to your cubs, they'll be about as much Stormborn as Herryk or Ember. Is that what you want?" he argued.

"Odd. We both know that isn't going to happen. Don't be ridiculous."

Her brother's tail was lashing irritably at her wilful blindness, but he had known she would be like this. He would keep working on her up to the very last possible moment. He couldn't talk to the spirits as his mother did, but they could make themselves understood to him in signs and feelings sometimes, and he had a less than positive feeling about Kazul's return.

"And what if," he said softly. "What if he's found someone else?"

Kazul's eyes widened as her half-brother prodded that soft spot in her heart that she had never been able to completely harden or wall off. She couldn't believe he would go there, knowing her as he did, and knowing that she was vulnerable to that particular fear above all others.

"Why would you say that?" she asked. She wouldn't think about that.

"Because, sister mine, it's not impossible. And you should try to prepare yourself for the possibility. Think how horribly embarrassing it would be to make a scene, only to have his wife come in on you." He kept his tone and his manner gentle. He knew he was dealing with a weakness, and he was trying to be very careful about how he manipulated it, and his sister through it.

"What will you do if you find out that he's married to someone else?"

Kazul was speechless for a long minute, but her confidence had been shaken. In the very darkest corner of the depths of her mind, she had known it was a possibility, but she had done a thorough job of putting it from her mind. She had been so thorough that it had actually seemed like it could never happen. She had made herself believe that.

"I will handle it with with dignity befitting my family," she said finally, although she didn't know exactly what that would entail. "But it won't come to that. You'll see."

"I hope I do," Odd replied a little sadly. "I really hope I do."

"You will. So, now, let's discuss how we'll make our triumphant return."

She was shaken, but still strong. She had to believe that Ru still loved her, and that she was going back to him. Otherwise, it was hard to think what she had been living for since the day her father lost his battle. She and Odd both knew it hadn't been for the cubs. Not really. Maybe for her father, a little. But mostly it had been for Ru. He had to be waiting for her. He had to.

Word Count: 1,548