Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 pm
User Image

Leta had been following a small group of lions for weeks, and for all of those weeks she had successfully remained hidden from them. She had nearly lost it when, by pure luck, they had crossed paths with her own father.. but somehow she had stayed out of their sight as well. For some reason, that chance encounter seemed to change the tone of the journey so Leta had taken things into her own claws.

So far, she'd spent a few days flying ahead and searching for somewhere the lions could settle down. Each time, she'd managed to find the group again. If they didn't have cubs with them, it might have been another story, but it was easy to predict where they would be by the end of a day. But so far, she hadn't found anything. It was getting later in the day so she was running out of time before she had to go back, so her mind had turned more towards finding herself some food. She soared around the mountains, following a scent she hadn't yet figured out, happy today's adventure wouldn't be a total waste.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 pm
User Image

Parquila was quite happy. Life had settled into such a nice pattern, and all was good. Renado, she was pleased to say, loved the pride she'd led him back to. He'd seemed so very lost when she'd found him, but now he was lost no longer. At first she hadn't often strayed far from him, hunting only when they were together, sharing in his kill, but now that things seemed stable, she liked to soar off into the distance, finding her own prey, or scavenging on handy carcasses.

Today she'd happened across a nice fat warthog. Who knew how it had died, for it was impossible to tell at this point. Not only was it decaying nicely, it had already provided food for many a creature. Sadly all the delicious insides were gone, but there was still plenty of meat and fat clinging to the bones. Without another bird in sight, she had settled in to enjoy the feast. Now, however, her belly half full, she heard the soft rustle of feathers high above, and turned her sharp eyes to the sky. Ah, another eagle! With a sharp cry, she drew the other's attention to the carcass and herself. "Join me!" was the wordless message, meant to stretch the distance better than spoken words could.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:53 pm
As she came closer to her target, Leta began a cautious descent- she saw the other eagle before the inviting cry reached her and once it did, she hastened to join the stranger. Leta was neither shy nor afraid to take a risk- and she was looking for someone with information anyway. She was feeling very lucky when she hit the ground.

"Mind sharing with a stranger?" she asked politely, though she was so close it didn't look like she was going to be turned away easily, "I should have started my day hunting, there's always company at a meal like this."

She made a mental note for next time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 pm
Par neatly gulped down another strip of flesh, then edged obligingly to the side in invitation. She didn't really need to, as there was plenty of room for the other eagle to set to. "Of course, please do!" she replied brightly. "It's more than I'll be able to finish off." She bobbed her head amiably, clicking her beak in pleasure at the company. Hunting for her lion partner had been miserable, as she was quite a social eagle. She enjoyed company, savored conversation, and generally was friendly with anyone non-hostile. She had even been known to stop and chit-chat with the slow moving, earthbound creatures, even if they hadn't talked back.

"Are you traveling?" she asked politely with genuine interest. Being paired with a Storyteller was sharpening her interest in the stories of those she met who weren't of the pride. She was pretty sure she'd remember if this striking female had been part of the pride already, even if she herself wasn't so memorable visually. She took a moment to wonder if the other eagle was aware of the pride and it's unique nature, but opted to wait to hear what the other had to say first.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:13 pm
Parquila barely moved over before Leta helped herself, she was hungrier than she had realized and flying around searching the way she was called for more energy and so, more food. She was grateful this meal didn't come with a fight.

"I am traveling with a pair of lions," she said after a silent minute of eating, not wanting to go out of her way to be rude, "More following them, I suppose. I've been looking ahead for them, they're not very good rogues but they don't have a pride to go to."

Leta tore another chunk from the warthog, allowing herself a pause.

"Are there many prides around here?" she asked, looking at Parquila with interest, "Or are you only passing by as well?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 pm
Parquila quirked her head to the side, listening with great interest. It sounded like an odd situation, as it didn't quite sound like she was exactly with the lions, and yet she very clearly considered herself part of the group. And rogues that weren't good at being rogues? Oh! The female eagle fluffed her featheres excitedly, eager to offer assistance, but kept her beak firmly shut, politely allowing the other bird to eat more before interrupting the meal.

To her pleasure, though, she wasn't driven to interrupting at all. She clacked her beak in pleasure as the other eagle asked her the very questions she wanted to answer! "There is one pride nearby, and I am part of it!" She puffed her chest feathers out proudly, her crest rising in her excitement. She practically danced back and forth on her talons. "It is a wonderful pride, meant for lions and birds to act as partners, bonded and doing nearly everything as a team." She clicked her beak again and whistled softly. "My lion is a Storyteller in the pride. We are called Aka'mleli! Perhaps your lion friends could find a place among us... and you as well?" She leaned forwards, intent on this sincere offering.

Ecavi
So sorry for the delay!

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:41 am
Leta noticed her new friend's enthusiasm but she made no effort to finish her bite quickly. She looked over, tilting her head as Parquila explained that they were near a pride. She was visibly surprised when Parquila noted she was a part of the pride, if she hadn't gone on to describe a member as "her" lion then it might have been easy to write off as living in the lands with permission. Parquila definitely had Leta's attention.

"What is the pride like?" she asked, "My friends can't afford to be especially picky but I know they won't fit in just anywhere."

Talencia
<33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 am
Parquila fluffed her feathers again, preening a few into place before settling again. She was very pleased to have the other bird's attention, and happy to extol the virtues of her pride. "We are a special pride, where lions and birds partner for life as a team." She beamed at the other eagle. "Sometimes it takes time for a bird to find their lion, and the other way around as well, but in the end, we are all partnered. One lion to one bird." She sidled along closer to the other bird, meal forgotten in her excitement.

"We have ranks for pretty much any sort of skill or temperament a team might have, too," she added. "Everything from hunters to healers. We are pretty peaceful too, though of course individuals sometimes don't get along. Overall, as a pride, we do quite well." She bobbed her head, shifting from foot to foot. "I don't even think we have any enemies. We just do our own thing, take care of each other, and live happily!" Perhaps it was a little rosier a picture than reality, but Parquila was still young, and tended to be very proud and happy to live in Aka'mleli. She couldn't much be blamed for making it sound as appealing as possible.

"Do you think that might be to their liking?" she asked her new friend hopefully, leaning forward and flipping the ends of her wings a little.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 am
Lions partners with birds, how very interesting! That bit of information alone made her pause and consider it. She listened to Parquila's description of her pride and the life they lived there, it sounded nice and simple and happy as any normal pride. She ruffled her feathers, entirely focused on Parquila and their conversation now, forgetting there was food before her.

"What is your King like?" she asked, guessing that for a couple of lions who moved specifically because of the danger of a cruel and unstable monarch, this would be especially important information. Part of her hoped to learn they didn't have a king, but someone had to lead a pride and whether or not they called themselves a king didn't matter as much as what they were like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:57 am
Parquila pivoted her head to peer at the other bird with one eye, her gaze curious and piercing. Their king? Hmm, perhaps there was a story here for Renado! But she'd try to get it some other time, if they chose to stay. Very interesting indeed! Rather than speak her thoughts, though, she bobbed her head a little again and flipped her wings.

"Our King is a noble and good lion," she said firmly, without a shade of doubt visible. "He leads well, is good to all, and I am proud to follow him and his avian partner." She wasn't sure if this was what the other was wanting to hear, or if it was an extensive enough description, but it was truth regardless.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm
Parquila's answer seemed perfectly.. boring. Rehearsed, uninteresting and perfect. She didn't seem to give any indication she was not being truthful, though her curiosity at being asked such a question was obvious. It was satisfactory, though. The idea that the peaceful pride was ruled by a good, boring king was appealing. Add that she could stay here, too, and Leta was pretty well sold on the idea. Pending some more minor investigations.

"How should I go about getting my lions invited into this pride?" she asked, "How far away is it? Can you show me the way there?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm
The eagle was very, very pleased with herself. It seemed she'd said the right thing! She gave a cheerful little chirp before starting to answer the questions, opting for reverse order. "I'd be happy to show you! It isn't far, truthfully. I think we technically are on the very edges of it right now!" The meal she'd come for was completely forgotten at this point. She unfolded her wings and held them arched, ready to go at a moment's notice. "I can show you before you go back to your lions without much of a detour, I don't think!" Unless, of course, they were directly out from where the two birds were feasting.

That thought, though, reminded her that her guest had been very hungry to begin with, and had hardly eaten anything at all! She settled her wings again, scolding herself with a mild chitter. "But don't let me rush you," she said apologetically, shifting herself back from the carcass in invitation for the other eagle to finish her meal. "You eat, and I will tell you more." Satisfied that she'd managed to get her manners back in the swing of things, she bent to clean one of her talons briefly.

"Though I think meeting any lion would work," she began slowly, remembering coming back with her own feline companion and running into the King, "it probably is best if you met with a guard at the pride's borders." She knew that was how it was supposed to happen, despite how things had gone with Renado. That had been an unusual situation, and not one to try to mimic. "You should let the guard know that you would like to join. I think there is a process before you will be accepted as part of the pride, involving the council and Seers."

She paused thoughtfully, then perked up. "I forgot to mention that we have a council, didn't I?" she chirped. "Our pride really has three levels of major authority, then individuals below that for the different ranks. The King and his mate, then the three Seers, and then the council. It works quite well, keeps things balanced." Not that Parquila knew anything different, but she'd heard about prides ruled by a single individual. It rarely sounded like that went well. More storyteller fodder, in fact.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 pm
Leta was surprised when Parquila reminded her there was still food to be eaten. She glanced back to it and tore another chunk, knowing she should take advantage of the meal now if she was going to spend the next few hours doing something really involved. And Parquila didn't seem to mind if Leta ate while she carried on so she happily busied herself with that, while trying to keep listening.

Everything seemed normal. Meeting with a pride member was naturally the best way in, probably best not to rely only on Parquila- but more than that, Leta wanted to verify the information herself and make sure it was really OK before sending anybody out to where Andama, Spiralia and the cubs were. She wouldn't be a very good shadow if she didn't find out as much as she could first. Aside from that, a guard sounded most likely if not the best way to go.

She stopped eating when Parquila mentioned the council and seers, giving herself a moment of quiet digestion. Her head turned back to the other eagle and then tilted curiously.

"The pride we came from had only a king," she said, "I expect the lions would be pleased to know the pride is not under only a king's influence here. Though seers.."

Leta knew, vaguely, was seers were. But she wasn't sure that her lions did, though she also had her suspicions about the quartet of cubs with them.

"I definitely would like to learn more, can you take me to your lion- or a guard," she asked, apparently finished filling up for now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:26 pm
"Of course!" Bright-eyed Parquila was pleased to see the other eagle had eaten her fill. She herself was too excited now to eat any more currently. She'd have a chance to eat later, should she grow hungry. Food was not at all a problem for them, thank goodness! "It shouldn't be hard to find a guard nearby. As I said, we aren't far from the border!" She spread her impressive wingspan, fluttered the feathers into place, then gave a great heave, launching herself heavily into the air. Land launches weren't the easiest of take-offs, but she wasn't bothered by the added effort. She was still young, and her wings strong and muscled. For a brief moment she reveled in the feel of the air against her feathers, then peered to see where her friend was. Having located her and assured she was following, the eagle turned for home, sharp eyes scanning for the guard she knew must be nearby.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

[IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces