Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 pm
So far Nanaki is not really liking the new dog but the new dog (Meeko) is trying to play and barking a lot. I'm not quite sure what to do ._. Do I let Nanaki growl? Wut?

Two friends offered the same advice:
Alpha roll the both of them to let them both know who is boss.

So far so good really o_o Nanaki is quieter and Meeko is just resting. Hoping they'll be good friends *-*  
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 pm
Both dogs need to establish their own boundaries. There will be some growling, maybe some warning snaps (which should be reprimanded), but keep a close eye and step in and separate them for a few minutes when needed. They both need to know that the humans are the ones that set the limits in the end.

And, uuuuuh, pictures! smile  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 pm
Oh holy cow, you're right!!

I don't have too many yet but I'll share ones that the owner posted first ^^;

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
He's a bit sleepy now lol

Everyone seems to have calmed down a bit so I'm thankful. He doesn't seem to be kennel trained and he's already a year old so neutral We'll have to get started on that. Trying to give Nanaki a little extra attention cause he seems to be taking it personal *sniff* I felt soooo bad, he's my baby!! Tough love is harder on the parental units.  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 am
He's doing well in the kennel so far but I bet we'll hear whimpering all the same x.x Nanaki isn't happy that he can't go in his kennel but we'll get Meeko one of us own tomorrow.

Why do I feel so guilty for Nanaki? crying I seriously just wanna cry!!  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 am
He is so cute!

Haha, poor dude. He's used to having all the humans to himself. He'll learn to love his new buddy, don't worry! Some take longer to adjust than others.

You'll hear crying for sure! Give it a week. Once he settles in, his true self will come out rofl  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 pm
So only one biggish fight and it was over food (might feed one while the other is in the kennel or something). Meeko keeps taking Nanaki's spot under my desk and starting a fight x.x

Mah ulcer xD

They seem to be doing a bit better today though, maybe Nanaki realized that he's still here so he prolly won't go anywhere. Might try a walk for both of them tonight after the kid goes to bed and see how it goes.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:49 am
I agree, dogs need to set their own boundaries. It can be scary to let growling and snapping happen. I prefer to let fights happen BUT I have a pretty good idea of when it's getting dangerous. Dogs can look and sound like they're tearing each other apart and when you stop them neither has a scratch. The older dog will teach the younger one manners, if you reprimand too much, or separate them too much, the older dog will never be able to teach the young one what bothers her.

I fostered a lil dog aggressive dog for a month. Cowboy is not great with other dogs in the last few years either. I just let em loose with each other. In a month, I only broke up 2 fights. The rest I allowed to take their course and by the end, my foster was so much more behaved because Cowboy didn't let her get away with stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:45 pm
We're doing better today. I even see improvement in Nanaki's behavioral issues like nipping and biting at feet. Meeko is getting a little more comfortable here but he's not used to such a little kid like our son so when he starts running around and being loud Meeko barks.

User Image
But this happened today ^__^ No growling or anything

Both spent the night out of the kennel last night and both were very good. I think at one point both of them were licking my husband's beard o_o  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 pm
How cute! Puppies tend to bring out the good, playful side of adult dogs. Who can resist such cute little balls of fluff? LOL  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm
Akari_32
How cute! Puppies tend to bring out the good, playful side of adult dogs. Who can resist such cute little balls of fluff? LOL
Not even Darth Vader can resist fluffy things!

User Image  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 pm
So we had a sudden little bout of "We're gonna fight today" <_< I think it is nearly 100% to do with they didn't get a walk last night cause we snuck out to see Iron Man 3 and got home at 1am.

We have to go out in like an hour for a family thing so both dogs are going in the kennel. It's funny, I used to think kenneling dogs was really mean but it's so much safer. With Nanaki's history of eating things he isn't supposed to and chewing the cord for a space heater in half (while it was on) and so far Meeko destroyed a shoe and an ethernet cord... yeah. Unsupervised doggies go in kennels.

Anyway, they've been fighting on and off today and it's been pretty aggressive. DEFINITELY going for a walk tonight although it is raining. Either way, they need to get some kind of outlet for this aggression.

Nanaki is nearly stopped peeing on the bed though he has today and yesterday. He usually does it out of spite so not really surprised this happened with how they've been today.

In another thought, Nanaki has always been very good about staying in the yard even though there are holes in our crappy fence. Meeko isn't so good about it and can only go out on a leash. But we have a good sized yard (split up by the pool though) so I can't really tie him up out there without worrying. Any ideas on cheap ways to secure fences? We were thinking of those "invisible fences" but never heard if they work well or not. I can't spend a lot of money on it and replacing the fence entirely would be best but that's a lot of monies. It's a crappy wood fence. I was thinking of getting those small metal garden borders and hammering them into the ground where there are holes and getting some wood to go accross the bottom or even cinder blocks or just do the whole yard with the border things. Chain link or plastic may be the best fencing for dogs ever. Bleh.  
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 pm
So they're getting along a bit but.. they sort of play fight a lot. And I'm not sure it's playing. Never had any loud yelping like "OW THAT HURTS" but they growl a bit and bite.

.___.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers