Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply HighTail Cafe
OMFG! i think my daughter is furry.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OddeoFreq

Familiar Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:31 pm
Are the signs there or am i being over reacting/ optimistic?

my 6 year old daughter, not only does not like cartoons where the main characters are not animals, she only really ever draws animals. favorite toys, Littlest pet shop. for what its worth, her grandmother had a psychic reading done and was told that my daughter would be really close to animals in some way when she grows up. the other day she found out dog's old collar and wanted to wear it. and today i found her drawing animal heads on human bodies. None of which has been influenced by anything i have shown her about furries because i haven't.

is it just me or at this rate, my daughter is going to grow up to be just as furry as me?

here in lies the issue. my wife is not anti furry, but she had her first impression of them forever ruined by misinterpretation. She once, years before she met me, read a news article about someone who was abducting children by posing as a giant cuddly bear. thus is her first impression of furries. she knows that not all furries are like that and she is slowly but progressively trying to remove that first impression from her mind in an effort to accept me for being a furry. [BG info: me and my wife got together in Nov'04. i have done ALOT of finding myself while with her. i didnt realize i was a furry until nov'11 and have since been trying to participate in the fandom.]

due to my wife not being fully comfortable with the idea of furries yet, (not to mention my wife's very closed minded and discriminating/judgmental mother-in-law who only lives a few blocks away and is a part of our lives on a regular basis), I am forbidden to introduce her and share anything to encourage her to get into the fandom with me because my wife says i have that power. i agree. if my daughter wants to get into the fandom, i want it to be because that what she likes. not because its what her dad likes.

she was told not to wear the collar again and i am not permitted to even talk about furries in front of her let alone show/wear my ears and tail when she is home.

My wife thinks all her animal stuff is just a phase.

what do you think?
advice?
comments?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:44 pm
Fairly certain it's a phase myself, considering I went through a phase when all I'd do was eat potatoes and ketchup. >_> Phases always inhabit the strangest possible things, or in this case, ironic possible thing, but don't instinctively assume something with only a minute basis. I've done that plenty of times before and I've ended up in a position where I could only be more wrong if I had strangled a baby. My advice is to let her do as she wants, not as you want, because, even though you would like her to be furry, you'll always subconsciously be impacting her anytime you interact with her. Try to look at it as being a father first and a furry second rather than both at the same time.

On a different note, your mother-in-law is damn happy that it's you instead of me. If she is really that belligerently judgmental and phobic, I would be so out about it around her that there would be hairballs in her shoes and a litterbox strangely in need of constant changes. :3  

Kairo Yakazu

Friendly Friend

9,725 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: Mage 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm
according to epigenetics, this is quite possible. habits can be inherited to a degree. They dont know what degree yet, the opposition says its social influences like subtle or obvious behavior differences that they can pick up that causes them to obtain the habits of their parents, but this was done in mice studies also, so Im fairly certain the child could be furry.

but if u are behaving slightly like an animal then she could pick up on that as kids are quick learners.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:12 pm
Kairo Yakazu
Fairly certain it's a phase myself, considering I went through a phase when all I'd do was eat potatoes and ketchup. >_> Phases always inhabit the strangest possible things, or in this case, ironic possible thing, but don't instinctively assume something with only a minute basis. I've done that plenty of times before and I've ended up in a position where I could only be more wrong if I had strangled a baby. My advice is to let her do as she wants, not as you want, because, even though you would like her to be furry, you'll always subconsciously be impacting her anytime you interact with her. Try to look at it as being a father first and a furry second rather than both at the same time.

On a different note, your mother-in-law is damn happy that it's you instead of me. If she is really that belligerently judgmental and phobic, I would be so out about it around her that there would be hairballs in her shoes and a litterbox strangely in need of constant changes. :3
those are my intentions. i just get anxious at the thought of the benefits if she was. daddy daughter furry outings and whatnot.  

OddeoFreq

Familiar Gaian

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm
I think it's a bit early to assume anything. I mean, I LOVED stuff like the land before time and fox and the hound when I was younger, fair enough I did end up being a furry eventually but I think it's pretty normal for kids to like cartoons with animals in more.
My little brother went through a phase of eating cat food and purring but I doubt he's going to grow up to even know what furries are lmao  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am
Xennified
I think it's a bit early to assume anything. I mean, I LOVED stuff like the land before time and fox and the hound when I was younger, fair enough I did end up being a furry eventually but I think it's pretty normal for kids to like cartoons with animals in more.
My little brother went through a phase of eating cat food and purring but I doubt he's going to grow up to even know what furries are lmao

Catfood? Gross...  

00Shoe
Captain

Rowan of Kasai

Kawaii Nymph

21,875 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:55 am
Sounds like me when I was a kid. I think I've always been a furry inside, though around where I live people only believe furries to be people who are into bestiality.

I remember always drawing animals instead of people and I mean Disney was an influence as well. The Lion King was and still is my favorite animated film and I watch a lot of cartoons on tv with animal characters and in anime I love the anthros and part animal people.

Im married and my husband isnt really accepting but does know that I like furries to some extent. But hey, he still loves me and doesnt care all that much. My own mother and mother-in-law would not understand why I like them.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm
00Shoe
Xennified

Catfood? Gross...

Yeah but this was when he was still crawling, he ate a lot of weird stuff hahaha.  

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm
00Shoe
Xennified

Catfood? Gross...

My sister would eat dog treats.

Onto the main topic at hand, what's she's doing right now doesn't mean that she's a furry. I know people that used to do the same things but aren't furries themselves. And just because someone is close to animals doesn't mean they are too. A friend of mine feels really close to dogs and prefers them over people most of the time.
And as for the art, that still shows up outside of the fandom. I mean take a look at Egyptian mythology and cynocephaly.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:24 am
I think this is wonderful, that she has found a way to express herself that you can really empathize with, it should be a wonderful bonding experience should she keep her interest alight.

Advice? Forget the dang mother in law. You're happy, your kid is happy and soon your wife will get used to it.

Comments... The mother in law... It's not her kid, she needs to mind her own stinkin' business. I'm glad your wife is slowly coming around and I'd be proud to have such a creative and expressive child as you've got.  

madderFox

Friendly Friend

HighTail Cafe

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces