Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply HighTail Cafe
Petition : HS In Ohio needs a Gay-straight Alliance!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neko Oishii Mashumaro

7,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am
The students at my high school need your help. I need your help.

It would be really nice to attend an Ohio high school as accepting as the one we see on GLEE. But the reality is that Celina High School, like many small town schools, still discriminates against lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) youth. And it has to stop.

That's why we're urging the administration at Celina High School to let us form a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) so LGBT, questioning, and allied students can build a safe and welcoming school climate.

Just the other day, 20 students at Celina High School, a public school in Mercer County, Ohio, were threatened with out-of-school suspensions for wearing T-shirts that promoted tolerance and support for the LGBT community. They were not offensive. They were not graphic. They simply said things like "Straight but Supportive" and "I Support [Rainbow]."

Our assistant principal forced us to change our shirts because they advertised "political" messages and were disruptive. But students who are part of the pro-life organization Students for Life are able to wear their shirts whenever they'd like. And just recently, our school hosted Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan, who asked us to pray for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. There were definitely several political T-shirts at school that day, and none of them were threatened with suspension.

All students should feel welcome and accepted at school. But according to GLSEN's 2011 National School Climate Survey, 8 out of 10 LGBT students experience harassment and 6 in 10 LGBT students reported feeling unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation. This is not OK.

Will you help us improve our school and our community? Please join us in urging Celina High School to allow our student body to have a Gay-Straight Alliance.

===

We encourage everyone to join our campaign, but if you're a student or teacher, especially from Celina High School, please say so in "Reasons for signing" section. Thanks!

http://www.change.org/petitions/celina-high-school-allow-our-student-body-to-start-a-gay-straight-alliance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm
I suggest you try reaching out to this organization. They have been instrumental in helping in very similar situations. They also have the resources for legal representation in regards to civil liberties.  

00Shoe
Captain

HighTail Cafe

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces