Half way to Happy Hour! Mid Season review

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 am
Okay, so it's more challenging to write my mid season review when up to this point I still haven't been able to watch a single game in it's entirety. But with many hours online looking up game highlights and keeping up with the news, here's my attempt to put one together.

Believe it or not we are half way through the 2012/2013 season. Many Surprises along the way, some teams playing where I expected them to, many others either exceeding or failing to meet them. Here's what caught my eye in the first half of the year.

1. Indianapolis and Miami in the Playoff Hunt!- I expected Andrew Luck and the Colts to put together a better season than last year, what I didn't expect is for them at the half way mark to be right in the thick of the playoff race. And as we enter the second half of the season playoff talks are going to pick up. While I might have given the Colts and Luck the benefit of the doubt if you told me three months ago they would be in the hunt, I would not have believed you if you said Miami would also be there. I seriously thought the Dolphins would be one of the worst teams in the league this season. And where I thought Buffalo would be the biggest contender to knock off the Patriots in the AFC East, the Bill have disappointed, while Miami rose to the occasion. Now neither of these teams may make the playoffs, but for them to be serious contenders at this stage of the season has me surprised.

2. Eagles and Detroit underwhelms.- After starting 1-7 a year ago, the dream team clicked finishing 7-1, sweeping the Giants in the regular season and were 1 win from going into the playoffs instead of the soon to be Superbowl champions. I felt after their run to finish the season last year they would be the team to beat in the East, instead they sit at a disappointing 3-5, and talks each week of Vick being pulled and/or Andy Reid facing the axe follow suit after each loss. Similarly I thought the Lions would show that they weren't a 1 hit wonder, instead they are last in the NFC North and will have to play catch up if they want to make it to the playoffs for the second year in a row. Now they have won 3 of their last 4, but what happened to the Stafford/Megatron connection? They need to find what they had last season if they want to catch up to the Packers and red hot Bears.

MVP's

Rookie of the year- While RGIII had all the hype in the first few weeks, Andrew Luck has emerged as the front runner for the title. Some even say Luck should be considered for straight up League MVP honors, not just Rookie. One season at a time, but, as mentioned before, he's taken the Colts, who were last in the league last season at 2-14 back to the playoffs his first year, that just might be good enough to convince me. OH! And did I forget to mention he has thrown for the exact same # of yards as his predecessor Peyton Manning through the first 8 games with 2,404? How crazy is that? Speaking of which...

Comeback Player of the year- Is there anyone else to consider besides Manning? Also in talks for league MVP, Manning looks to lead the Bronco's back to the playoffs as the AFC West champions as 7 of their last 8 games are against teams with .500 records or worse. Though maybe his story isn't as impressive as Luck's, who is a Rookie leading a team that was last in the league last year to 5-3 while Manning is a legendary vet leading a team that won their division last season, but coming off neck surgery that benched him all of last year to have the Broncos on top still. I'm hard pressed to think of another player to rival him at this moment.

League MVP- At the moment I have to go with Adrian Peterson, Running back for the Vikings. Minnesota started strong but hit a slump recently. But through 9 games he has 957 rushing yards and 6 TD. In a league thats head over heals in love with QB's and high number passing games. I'm looking at what other players at different positions can offer, and Peterson just stands out as the best alternative than just handing the title to another QB in what has become a very pass happy league.

PLAYOFF WATCH! Just for fun, this is a list of, "If the season were to end right now, which teams would be in the playoffs?" Well lets see.

NFC

1. Atlanta Falcons 8-0
2. Chicago Bears 7-1
3. San Francisco 49ers 6-2
4. New York Giants 6-3
5. Green Bay Packers 6-3
6. Seattle Seahawks 5-4 (Holds Tie Breaker over the Vikings in head to head confrontation)

AFC

1. Houston Texans 7-1
2. Baltimore Ravens 6-2
3. New England Patriots 5-3
4. Denver Broncos 5-3
5. Indianapolis Colts 5-3
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 5-3 (Indianapolis currently hold the tie breaker in seeding due to better record against AFC opponents)

Will the playoff picture end up like this at the end of the year? Possibly, but most unlikely. This is just for fun and to give you an idea of how the race is going right now.

So what are your thoughts on the season so far? Who have impressed you? Or failed to impress you? Random comments? I would like to hear what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:57 pm
49ers are 7-1.
I'm saying it now: Super Bowl- Texans vs 49ers.
I don't see anyone beating either of them. The Falcons have a shot, and so do the Bears, but the way the 49ers are playing right now, I don't see it.  

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:22 pm
Silver Ace Revolver
49ers are 7-1.
I don't see anyone beating either of them. The Falcons have a shot, and so do the Bears, but the way the 49ers are playing right now, I don't see it.

My prediction in the pre-season was a 49ers vs. Broncos Superbowl. I would love to see a 49ers vs. Texans Superbowl, as long as San Francisco is in it I'll be happy.

Unfortunately the 49ers are indeed 6-2, they lost to Minnesota 24-13 on September 23rd, and again to the New York Giants October 14th 26-3. We shall see how the rest of the season plays out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 pm
Cookie Icer
Silver Ace Revolver
49ers are 7-1.

My prediction in the pre-season was a 49ers vs. Broncos Superbowl. I would love to see a 49ers vs. Texans Superbowl, as long as San Francisco is in it I'll be happy.

Unfortunately the 49ers are indeed 6-2, they lost to Minnesota 24-13 on September 23rd, and again to the New York Giants October 14th 26-3. We shall see how the rest of the season plays out.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the Minnesota lost.  

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:09 pm
Silver Ace Revolver
Cookie Icer
Silver Ace Revolver
49ers are 7-1.

Believe me, as a hard core 49ers fan this is one time I wished I was wrong. But hey, if they can finish 14-2 and win out the rest of the season that would be pretty freakin sweet!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 pm
Cookie Icer
Silver Ace Revolver
Cookie Icer
Silver Ace Revolver
49ers are 7-1.

Believe me, as a hard core 49ers fan this is one time I wished I was wrong. But hey, if they can finish 14-2 and win out the rest of the season that would be pretty freakin sweet!

I want to see the Ravens do ok, but damn...When half of a team's D is out, it's hard to say that they are as good as before.  

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
The NFL Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items