Couple gives up their dream wedding to save their dog's life
By Ellen
September 09, 2012

"A young couple gave up their dream wedding to save their dog's life. Melanie Cannon and Eddie Hanna adopted Koda in April from the Halifax Humane Society in Volusia County, Florida. But a recent visit to the veterinarian revealed the pit bull mix was ill with a liver shunt - the worst the vet had ever seen - and would need life-saving medical care.

Melanie and Eddie had purchased pet insurance thinking it would cover such circumstances, but their claim was rejected leaving the young couple in a financial bind.

They had already postponed their wedding last October when Melanie's grandmother died a week before their planned wedding date. At that time none of the vendors would refund their money. They had saved up for the second time and made plans for their wedding, but because of Koda was not covered by the insurance, they were forced to use their wedding money and forfeit their wedding deposits in order to pay for Koda's vet bills and medical care.

"We just did what anybody would've done," Eddie said. "He deserves to be alive and to be loved."

The couple had to put their wedding on hold for a second time.

Upon hearing what Melanie and Eddie did for Koda, the Halifax Humane Society felt they had to help. They approached local vendors and soon had a catering company provide food and a lovely receiption facility for the couple and their guests. Other vendors soon joined in to help, arranging for flowers, music and all of the other necessary arrangements to throw the couple their dream wedding on Saturday, September 8, 2012.

"It's a really wonderful example of the entire community coming together," Miguel Abi-hassan, Halifax Humane Society's executive director told The Daytona Beach News Journal. "I've been an animal lover for 15 years, and I never thought I'd help plan a wedding."

Koda will need medication for the rest of his life, but he's expected to recover and will be at the wedding to watch his humans tie the knot."
http://www.dogheirs.com/elleng/posts/1857-couple-give-up-their-dream-wedding-to-save-their-dog-s-life