User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Her family had always been a small one and it had been only recently that Nungal had finally decided to leave the safety of her mother and her two siblings. It had been through rumors she had heard through scavenger and bird that an old pack had recently opened their ranks to newcomers. Perhaps this was somewhere that she belonged. Maybe this was her true calling. Who really knew, but she had to give it a shot and that was why Nungal had been traveling for weeks on end to where she heard the pack was located, only stopping to hunt, rest and ask for directions if need be.

Endymion sat under the dark night sky, his bright eyes looking up into the stars and the heavens, obviously looking them over. Perhaps they did hold some kind of answer like his pack always believed they did. He may still be young and still had much to learn, but he was definitely learning and learning quickly at that. Though his oldest sister was becoming something of a prodigy to their mother. It would have been a lie to think that he was not at least a little jealous of her, but it was something he would likely never actually say. With a heavy sigh, Endymion sat in the long grass, as his mind began to drift on how each star formed a pattern with the other.

"Karoma, do we really have to go learn about constellations again tonight? Can't we just play for a change?" Dyanna groaned out as she walked beside the larger, blue canine companion that her mother had assigned to her as a sort of guard. She just wanted to go play like the other pups, but noooo. She was stuck taking all sorts of lessons for what some figured what her role to take over the rank of Baraza after Alnilam passed on or stepped down. Of course Dyanna did not know the true purpose of her lessons, but she didn't like it one bit! Especially not when the other pups were off playing their games.

With a sigh and a roll of her eyes, Karoma nodded. "Yes, protostar. Your mother had placed me in charge of your lessons. It's my job to make sure you get to where you're supposed to be going without straying for even a moment." It definitely was a full-time job taking care of a pup that wasn't even hers, but it was something she wouldn't trade for the world. Not after how Alnilam had saved her life.

Oh where in the hell was that pack? Her paws were sore and her stomach was nearly empty by now. On top of all that, it was pitch black with only the stars and the moon to guide her. Nungal was definitely not used to wandering in the night but the same rumors that had led her towards this mysterious pack was the same rumor that told her that they were most active during the night. Thus the still growing wild dog needed to find and hopefully join it during the night.

The crunch of grass jerked the young pup out of his almost trance-like state. With a jerk of his head, amber eyes began to scan their horizon. The pack had never really had trouble with outsiders, not since Alnitak decimated the lion pride that had sought to take them over. Or at least that's what his mother and his elders had taught him. "Hello?" Endymion called out into the night, ready to run back towards the safety of the dens which he could still see the glow of in the distance. Maybe if something was out there, it was friendly. As the son of a Baraza, he felt as though it was or at least would become his job to welcome anyone who did not pose a threat.

"Oh look! It's Endymion!" Dyanna said so cheerfully to her constant companion. Maybe he could offer some kind of relief to the repetitive classes or could somehow get her away from Karoma so she could actually enjoy her puphood rather than just work through the entire thing. Without really thinking about it at all she broke out into a run, a huge smile on her face as she chilled wind rushed against her.

"Dyanna, wait!" Karoma called out, worry obvious in her voice. Oh Baraza Alnilam would surely kill her if anything were to happen to Dyanna and now Endymion which she could also see in the distance. With hesitation, the steel-blue maned wolf almost began to run in an effort to keep up with the energetic pup who had also gotten a head start. But wait, there was something else...was that another wild dog she saw above the grass line?

Her head turned towards the voices. So there truly was someone here! Maybe they could help her find this pack. "Ah, I.." Oh this was just great, now her tongue didn't want to work. Nungal swallowed hard, trying to force herself to speak but nothing more than a squeak came out. She had finally found someone who may be able to help her and her tongue and throat decided to revolt against her and make her look like a fool just standing there look at this pup not too far away that had at least called out to her.

Finally his young eyes saw a bit of what he had actually spoken to. It was another wild dog, larger than him but still smaller then his mother. This stranger was someone he had never seen before. It was at least of their species so the young pup thought nothing truly of it as he got up and started towards her. Endymion's steps were cut short though as he turned his head back towards the sound of one of his sister's voice. "Dyanna?"

"Endyyyymion~" The older pup called out to her brother, finally reaching her brother's side. Dyann's smile was increasingly wide as she circled him, her paws scarcely touching the ground as she bounded around him, oblivious to the older wild dog nearby.

Karoma was not too far behind her charge. "Endymion, Dyanna." She barked at the Baraza's two young pups before moving them behind her. Just as quickly as she did that she raised her lips to release a snarl in the direction of the unknown canine. "Who are you and what business do you have with the Nyota-Wasomaji?"

"I..um.." Oh why were these blasted words so difficult. With a deep breath, Nungal closed her eyes but for a moment to gather the thoughts without the sight of a snarling maned wolf in front of her. Slowly, her eyes opened and the words came flooding out of her mouth. "I wish to join your pack!" Quickly she silenced herself, taking a step backwards as she watched the three in front of her for a reaction.

Endymion was the first to actually say something as he stepped forward. "Then you are welcome." It was an odd thing to say without really knowing the kin in front of him but truly, who was he to judge? She had not attacked them and shown no signs of being a threat despite Karoma's obvious protective nature that could likely have been taken as aggression.

"Yeah, yeah! Momma would definitely wanna meet you!" Dyanna added in, making her way out from behind her blue guard. She hadn't exactly enjoyed being suddenly shoved behind her along with her brother. The talk of needing new blood was everywhere and it was something that even the pups were learning about. Surely some stranger joining would be a good thing in the end for the pack.

Dyanna's guard was not quite as trusting though as her growl did not cease until after both of the pups had spoken in turn. They both seemed to trust this rogue and for the time being, she would likely need to as well. If they wanted to join, it was unlikely any of the Baraza would turn them down. "Fine, but I'll be watching you." Karoma growled out as her eyes narrowed at the strange wild dog.

"I..mm, uh..." Oh where were those words! "Thank you." There we go! Finally Nungal's tongue was starting to agree with her without making her look like a huge fool in the process. "I'd love to meet your mother if you'd take me to her."

"But of course. I'm Endymion by the way and this is my sister Dyanna and her guard Karoma. Our pack has fallen into some rough times so please forgive the hostility." The young male said, his words strong and confident for his age, but more collected and precise than this older female's. Regardless though, it was his duty, as it was every member of the pack's, to help rebuild it and new blood was just a factor in that.

"Mhm. Come on then. I have a pretty good idea of where mama would be at this hour. Karoma, come on. I think Endymion can handle things here. I'm late for my lecture on the history of pack anyways." Dyanna turned to leave quickly, her tail swishing behind her as she left.

The blue canine swallowed hard as she raced after her charge. The thought of what kind of lecture she would get for allowing Dyanna to be late and possibly for leaving Endymion alone with a rogue wild dog, but now was just simply not the time was such thoughts. For now Karoma's mind was concentrating on getting the eldest of Alnilam's children to her lecture as quickly as possible to make up for wasted time.

"They seem...nice." Nungal stated softly as she watched the pair race off towards what she could only assume to be further into the pack's lands as she followed after Endymion as they went off in search of the young pup's mother. She had no idea what to expect at this point, but if she was anything like the small boy in front of her, she seemed like she would be a fine lady to speak to about joining the pack.

[Word Count: 1,725]