Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
What do I do!?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sinna Roll

Bashful Warrior

13,075 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:07 pm
Should I come out of the closet- or wait a bit longer? I'm 16 and I've been a lesbian since I was 14. I knew I was at least bi when I was 13. I've completly accepted myself- but should I come out?
I know for a fact that my mom wouldn't care- I've hinted around at it. Sometimes when taking about dating/marriage- future stuff with me... She'd correct herself and add 'or she'. But then there's my dad (step-dad, actually) I'm not sure about his reaction. Would he freak out? I'm not sure. I would also be nervous telling my REAL dad this. I try to ignore him as much as possible.
Then there's my friends. I have NO CLUE how they'll react. Especially the girl I think I still kinda like. (it was a crush- but it's hard to tell unless I'm talking to her. Internet or person. She once used the 'L' word- my heart literally skipped a beat!)
So what do you think? Start telling people or wait a year or so?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 pm
First and foremost, please remember deciding to come out is a personal matter. While seeking opinions from others is perfectly fine, do not allow anyone's words sway your decision to come out. You do this on your own terms; no pressure at all - take all the time you need.

Now, in regards to the situation...

I think you should do a bit of digging; try to seep the idea around both of your father and stepfather. Test the waters and see how they react to comments or conversations about LGBT. If either of them are strictly against it, then I suggest refrain from telling anyone in the family. Wait until you're off on your own.

However, I do believe you should come out to your friends. Friends will always be strong systems of support when the S%#@ hits the fan. Furthermore, if your "friends" desert you when you come out, then F$#%'em; they're not real friends. Also, if you haven't done so already, I suggest mingling with other LGBT folk. They can give you great pointers, perspectives, etc., and may even become friends as well.

Good luck, and remember that this is about you - no one else.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm
I don't know your family, so I can't say how they will react and this is a personal decision you have to make.

Maybe you can let your mom know as it seems to sort of know. Whether or not you tell her or anyone else is up to you. Some wait until they move out and able to live on their own before saying anything just in case their parents reacted badly.

If you trust your friends enough, you can tell them first. Real friends will stand by your side.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 pm
I have to agree with lgtenos, it's a personal matter.
But also, whenever you tell doesn't change the fact that you are gay. It's whenever you are ready. If people don't accept you, then they weren't you true friends in the first place. It's difficult to come out, but you can either come out now, or gradually come out. Tell your friends, then family, siblings, etc. In whichever order you prefer.
Just tell people whenever you are ready : ) I wish you the best of luck~

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

Sinna Roll

Bashful Warrior

13,075 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:11 am
But also, whenever you tell doesn't change the fact that you are gay. It's whenever you are ready. If people don't accept you, then they weren't you true friends in the first place. It's difficult to come out, but you can either come out now, or gradually come out. Tell your friends, then family, siblings, etc. In whichever order you prefer.

Thank you! That really helped! I think I'll come out gradually. That might work better. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:49 am
mehwuvzgurlz

Thank you! That really helped! I think I'll come out gradually. That might work better. ^_^

You're welcome! : ) I'm glad I was able to help~

Sintheimp

2,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:01 am
mehwuvzgurlz
Should I come out of the closet- or wait a bit longer? I'm 16 and I've been a lesbian since I was 14. I knew I was at least bi when I was 13. I've completly accepted myself- but should I come out?
I know for a fact that my mom wouldn't care- I've hinted around at it. Sometimes when taking about dating/marriage- future stuff with me... She'd correct herself and add 'or she'. But then there's my dad (step-dad, actually) I'm not sure about his reaction. Would he freak out? I'm not sure. I would also be nervous telling my REAL dad this. I try to ignore him as much as possible.
Then there's my friends. I have NO CLUE how they'll react. Especially the girl I think I still kinda like. (it was a crush- but it's hard to tell unless I'm talking to her. Internet or person. She once used the 'L' word- my heart literally skipped a beat!)
So what do you think? Start telling people or wait a year or so?

Its really up to u, i would just wait to tell people, what is the big rush anyways  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:48 am
If you want to come out, then good luck to you. When I came out back in 2011, I was pretty scared myself. I didnt know what my family would think. My dad was actually cool with it, as were all ym friends and family. My mom still has a hard time believing it xp but i think she'll eventually deal with it  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:09 pm
Tell your parents when you're out of the house and living on your own. That way, even if they do get mad, which hopefully they won't, you won't be their problem anymore, so you won't have to listen to any of the dumb things they might say, like "you have a disorder" or "there's a wonderful treatment that can cure your attraction to females". That's just my opinion, but if you're ready to come out, that's entirely up to you. And you can tell a few people you know you can trust, like some of your friends. Or you can continue dropping hints to people.
FYI, I haven't came out yet as bi, but I plan to around the time I get to college. In the meantime, I've just been dropping hints at it.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games