Vice Captain

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:18 pm
Hey guys!

If you've been in the writer's forum you'll probably have seen a thread like this before. The idea is that you write a letter to your character about something (about anything! You could even ask them what they're doing for dinner tonight - just anything to get you better acquainted with your character), and they write back!

It's a great exercise to get you, as a writer, in touch with your characters, especially if you're just fleshing them out for the first time. It can teach you things you'd never thought about, and you might be surprised how useful it is when you come to write your story.

Anyway, enjoy! I always love these threads. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:42 pm
Okay, since nobody else has posted, I guess I'll start us off.

Dear Nyssa,

I know that I've been a little neglectful darling, but you've not been forgotten. I promise. In fact, I have a whole bundle of new ideas and I'll hopefully be able to work on all of them this summer. Are you excited? I'm thinking we should work on Calista a little bit, and make her less of a cliche. That
was a problem... Don't be thinking that it'll be any easier this time around though - I still haven't figured out how I'll fix any of your conflict, so at this point you're on your own I'm afraid.

Still, being alone with conflict is better than being stuck in the recesses of my mind, yes? I'm sure you're getting sick of banging around in that gloomy attic with nobody but your sister to talk to; I know that she can be a bit flighty, and you're always the one I think of.

Listen, just hold on tight for a little bit longer. I can't tell you much about the future because that would - well, it would be
telling, darling, and we all know that one should Show Not Tell. Don't get your knickers in a twist and I'll have you out in no time.

Just a heads up.

Cordially,
The Author.

--

Dear "Cordially",

You sound like a toff. Do you really think that this is a good idea? Contrary to popular belief, your mind is rather cushy and I quite like it up here. You needn't hurry. There are sofas and everything.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you could be a little nicer about Calista. I know she can be a pest - and something of a bore - but she is still my sister, you know, and I'm quite fond of her. Cliche or not, please don't change her too much, I've grown rather attached.

Although you can change that Finn boy all you like. I'm altogether sick of him.

Don't be too quick about it, now.

Best,
Nyssa.

--

Dear Nyssa,

Sorry. Flinn isn't in the workings to be changed at all. My bad. (Also, I like what you did with 'Cordially'. Very funny. Now stop being witty and go on and work some more on your politics).

Love,
The Author

Psychotic Maniacal Sanity
Vice Captain

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

xVoldie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 pm
[[I kinda used this idea in a different way... I made it so that it was one character in a story I'm writing talking to another. I hope it's still acceptable to post here. <<; If it's not, let me know and I'll take it down.]]

If I could change things...

I'd start this letter with a 'hello', or a 'dear Liam', but it won't really make a difference, will it? Every day I find a spot to write to you; I've uprooted things and killed insects, I've brought water and stiff sticks, all so I can send my messages into the earth. You're a part of that now. Makes more sense than to burn paper, or to send a letter to the sky.

You're right, I don't have paper. Even when you're not here, you have to criticise me.

I suppose you're right, though, but you should know that I don't
need paper. I don't need anything you thought you needed, or anyone else thinks they need. It makes me happy to write in the soft dirt of my new home, and so that should be enough for you. I don't want to be rude with you, not now. Just remember that my happiness is important. It's why I'm still down here.

They left when you did, though not in the same way. They went back up in that small metal lift, that tiny container for tiny, conformed minds, back up where they belong. I ordered them. There was a glitch in things, a loophole in the system, and I ended up in command. I'm sure you're shocked, but it's not that hard to believe people listened to me. There was no reason to listen to
you, and we all did anyway. I made a good leader, while they were still here. I'm the only one down here, now. They send me food sometimes - they never took down the lift from the city to here, though I'd advised them to - but I don't eat it. It's a waste to.

While you were here, I'm sure you noticed how time was different. Without the ability to see the sun, everything is different and out of sync; time follows a new pattern, one of my body and of the life down here. Time flows differently, feels thicker yet less prevalent... And Liam, I'm running out of it.

There was an accident. Those creatures, those disgraces to evolution, they pierced the oxygen supply of the suit. These plants and insects and small, scurrying mammals can somehow breathe the toxic air on the surface of our planet, but we both know I can't. In the tree we buried you by, this one right here, I've made a little den for myself, a base of sorts. This is where I bring their carcasses, their empty shells. This is where I bury my revenge. You may have defended these creatures, but there was no way around this. They're monsters. They haunt this beautiful place - I'm glad you got around to seeing it as beautiful - and they must be destroyed. I'm like a god here, the only man on real land, the only man really alive. It's my duty.

Oxygen makes me feel lighter, and without it, every step sinks further into the mud. I hope I've done you proud. Try to think of it from my side, okay? If I could change things...

I wouldn't.

Your brother,
Ethan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:15 pm
((That's totally fine! Anything that works for you. =D))  

Vice Captain

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

ShalomTheStargazer
Crew

Festive Cutesmasher

9,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:12 pm
There is now a mini-challenge for letters (see 30 Day Letter Challenge)...it's different from this, but it may connect in some situations. I wanted to thank you for posting this, it seems to have inspired a couple of people already. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:42 pm
You're welcome! I always enjoy this thread, so I just wanted to share the love. cool  

Vice Captain

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

Quotable Poster

8,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:10 am
xVoldie
[[I kinda used this idea in a different way... I made it so that it was one character in a story I'm writing talking to another. I hope it's still acceptable to post here. <<; If it's not, let me know and I'll take it down.]]

If I could change things...

I'd start this letter with a 'hello', or a 'dear Liam', but it won't really make a difference, will it? Every day I find a spot to write to you; I've uprooted things and killed insects, I've brought water and stiff sticks, all so I can send my messages into the earth. You're a part of that now. Makes more sense than to burn paper, or to send a letter to the sky.

You're right, I don't have paper. Even when you're not here, you have to criticise me.

I suppose you're right, though, but you should know that I don't
need paper. I don't need anything you thought you needed, or anyone else thinks they need. It makes me happy to write in the soft dirt of my new home, and so that should be enough for you. I don't want to be rude with you, not now. Just remember that my happiness is important. It's why I'm still down here.

They left when you did, though not in the same way. They went back up in that small metal lift, that tiny container for tiny, conformed minds, back up where they belong. I ordered them. There was a glitch in things, a loophole in the system, and I ended up in command. I'm sure you're shocked, but it's not that hard to believe people listened to me. There was no reason to listen to
you, and we all did anyway. I made a good leader, while they were still here. I'm the only one down here, now. They send me food sometimes - they never took down the lift from the city to here, though I'd advised them to - but I don't eat it. It's a waste to.

While you were here, I'm sure you noticed how time was different. Without the ability to see the sun, everything is different and out of sync; time follows a new pattern, one of my body and of the life down here. Time flows differently, feels thicker yet less prevalent... And Liam, I'm running out of it.

There was an accident. Those creatures, those disgraces to evolution, they pierced the oxygen supply of the suit. These plants and insects and small, scurrying mammals can somehow breathe the toxic air on the surface of our planet, but we both know I can't. In the tree we buried you by, this one right here, I've made a little den for myself, a base of sorts. This is where I bring their carcasses, their empty shells. This is where I bury my revenge. You may have defended these creatures, but there was no way around this. They're monsters. They haunt this beautiful place - I'm glad you got around to seeing it as beautiful - and they must be destroyed. I'm like a god here, the only man on real land, the only man really alive. It's my duty.

Oxygen makes me feel lighter, and without it, every step sinks further into the mud. I hope I've done you proud. Try to think of it from my side, okay? If I could change things...

I wouldn't.

Your brother,
Ethan

I love the voice you used for Ethan. I've never been so convinced that this character actually exists. Even if its an exercise, Its good. cool  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 am
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I love the voice you used for Ethan. I've never been so convinced that this character actually exists. Even if its an exercise, Its good. cool

I really appreciate you saying that. >////< It means a lot to me. Thank you!  

xVoldie

justadarling

Witty Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:26 am
Dear Rod,
I know, I know. Ive been working on your story for three months and haven't gotten past page two. I've been plotting, okay babe? A lot of things happen in your life. Ooh I'm so sorry for the things I'm going to put you through but I am so proud of you for going through your character development and coming out a wonderful young man! I know how hard it will be for you to make those sacrifices, my love. I hope you will be happy with your new beginning!

Also, I'm sorry I told everyone that you wanted to motorboat Lily xD You pervert, Rod. Jeezy creezy. Get ready! Your time is coming!!! I love your dimpled freakin face, see you in a bit!
Love, Cookie

Dear Cookie,
It's fine. I'm not too excited for the things you have in store for me, you monster. No, just kidding. I'm ready to kick a**. Yeah, I'm happy about that development too. I'd hate to be so cold my entire life. Not that my life is much longer anyway *cough cough*.

I'm actually really excited. I get to be saucy, brave, basically become a hero and whatnot. And yesssss I'm going to love my new beginning. Smirk smirk smirkity smirk smirk

Also shut up! Gaahhh don't tell people my personal business!! Love you too, we got this, don't give up. Make yourself as strong as you've made me
Looove, Rod  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 pm
I love doing these!
I have like forty messages like these...my parents think I'm insane XD
I shall post some tomorrow...  

PetitMule

Lonely Gekko

5,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm
Oh my! I used to write these all the time in my diary. I'll see if I can post them but I may have to edit here and there...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 am
Dear Shimar Roland,

how is the journey? I hope Blade is not annoying you too much. Soon this might change. I also hope you forgive me for being so unhelpful with all this. Is it okay to let Varal stay silent so long? I don’t want to spoil his fine loyal characterism. Please let me know if anything bothers you.

I wonder if you would like to have some free time in the future. If so, I would gladly insert some contents for this. The king might not like me writing him that funny, but hey. At least he’s not Luos. Oh! You don’t know him yet, but you will soon enough.

I hope you write me soon

Sincerely

LordBloodySoul

LordBloodySoul

How can that be!?! Who’s this under the disguise of a dead gods name! Answer me!!

Maybe I should have written it with the disguise of another ones name… sweatdrop  

LordBloodySoul

Business Genius

3,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Angelic Alliance 100

CharIie H

Sparkly Giver

10,900 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100