[fancy formatting later]

She was so small. Tavar could never get over the small size of the lioness in front of him. But he of all creatures knew just how fierce Umarth was, despite that size. Despite her size, she was a demon, through and through.

“What are you staring at, cousin?” Tavar chuckled and reached out to pat the top of her muzzle. Where she was tiny, he'd inherited the large size of his Firekin blood.

“Just reminded how tiny you are. I'm sorry I've been so busy.” Umarth's face became marred with a frown, eyes narrowing.

“Busy with your new mates. And their cubs.” Tavar looked affronted.

“They're MINE, too! Yes, Tuli may be the father biologically, but I'm their father as much as he is.” Umarth snorted.

“Keep telling yourself that. Keep doing that, and leaving your cousin to wander through life by herself.” Tavar blinked.

“You're no-”

“Yes, I am.” Her tone was sharp and biting. “Mother's gone. My sisters went with her. My brother doesn't talk to me. My father is in another pride, and I've never met him. You're the only family member that will even talk to me...” And she had no companions, platonic or sexual or romantic. She was...alone. Chillingly alone. “While you have two mates, and a mentor, I have NO ONE. Except you. And you're rarely around now.” Tavar...suddenly felt sorry for his cousin. She really had ill-luck. His aunt had cursed her with that name.

“I'm sorry. I'll try to visit more often but...it's hard. Between raising the cubs, and my duties, and Sinta'hare Hakuna'jina furthering my training...” He couldn't help but feel...horrible, for the first time in his life, when he saw her expression change, become stony so she wouldn't betray anything inside. But he saw the pain in her eyes.

“I see. So bonds of blood and time mean nothing.” She stood, turning to leave. And he moved quickly to block her.

“That's not true. Umarth...you are my cousin, my friend. And I will learn how to juggle all this. It'll be easier as the cubs grow older. I wish you had someone to keep you company when I can't...” Umarth's face remained stone.

“If we hadn't been born related...none of this would have happened.” Tavar raised a brow.

“Oh?” She nodded.

“Yes. We would have been mates, wouldn't we have? You're the lion closest to me. You're the lion that matters most to me. And before Tulivu and that newcomer, I meant the most to you. But now...you're drifting away. Things will never be the same. If we hadn't been born cousins, you never would have drifted away...” The fire-maned lion sighed and shook his head, reaching forward to play a paw on one of hers.

“No matter how far I drift, I will always return to you, cousin. We share the same blood, the blood of Iartuupe. We understand each other, we look out for each other. I'm sorry I was blinded to your pain for so long by the newness I've found. But...I won't be blinded anymore. Perhaps...you should come back with me? Properly meet Tuli and Aisling? They're good demons.” He smirked. “Even if Aisling is still getting used to it.” Umarth raised a brow...then sighed.

“Fine. But you HAVE to visit me tomorrow.” She would covet any small scrap of time she could get. Even if it meant dealing with the demons who stole him away from her. Tavar nodded.

“Deal.” And he felt his heart lighten a little with the slight smile that graced her muzzle.

“Tell me about them?” Tavar sat, Umarth sitting with him. How to describe his mates...that was a tough one.

“Well...they're both calm, in different ways. Tuli tries to keep a tight leash on his emotions, and tends to keep away from others for reasons of his own. Aisling is just...well, she's not the sort to rush into things, and looks at things rationally before moving forward. But they both have a fire inside them.” He smirked. “I know both their fires very well, and I'm not talking in the den.” Umarth snorted and rolled her eyes. “They both will give their lives for what matters to them. And they won't take s**t lying down. They may normally keep their claws sheathed, but give them a reason, some prodding...and you find those claws are very sharp.” Umarth looked thoughtful. Perhaps...she could deal with them. They sounded...alright.

“Do you really care about them?” Tavar nodded, and Umarth saw a look in his eyes she'd never seen before. It was a look that made her want to cry, because she knew in that second that she'd lost him to them, and things would never be the same. Ever. Even if his mates died.

“Yes. I do.” She sighed, then shook her head.

“I will meet them. For you. Because they make you happy.” In a way I never will. That was the thought she could not say. She'd lost, in a way. And her thoughts circled back to her mother. Her mother had won. The meaning of her name rang far too clear.

Ill-luck. She would never have anything but ill-luck.

And Tavar pretended not to notice the sorrow in her eyes. He knew she wouldn't say a word. “Come on...let's go.” He smiled slightly. “Perhaps you can meet the cubs, too.” Umarth stood with him, nodding.

“Yes...let us go.” She let him lead the way, staying close behind him. And she took the time to school her emotions, to make sure they wouldn't know just how torn apart she was. No one would see her like that.

And when she returned to her den, come dawn, she would have her silent mourning, knowing that she had lost her only friend, her only companion. She didn't even have a Na'artu or Na'artue to call her own.