Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

silversonic1

Mega Noob

20,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 am
Actually, I have been reading into this very subject and here's what I've found out.
1. Though Matt Smith is playing the 11th Doctor, using the rule of 12 regenerations would mean that the next Doctor is the last because the 10th Doctor triggered 2 separate regenerations.
Remember, that's 12 regenerations, 13 forms max. In the Doctor's case, 12 would be it.
2. The current show runners seem to have rejected a lot of things that Russel T Davies has introduced in the past. Among these is that the Doctor's regeneration ability has greatly increased. In series 6, there was constant mention of the "Fall of the 11th". From the connotation, it would seem that the Silents are trying to prevent the raise of the 12th Doctor.
3. There was a character in the old Doctor Who run called the Valeyard. He was a culmination of all of the Doctor's darkness, as well as the Doctor's final form. He even tried on occasion to murder his past self. There are numerous hints that writers are thinking of incorporating the Valeyard into the current run.
4. Russel T Davies often used the Last Great Time War which happened between the two runs of the series as an excuse to change anything about the Doctor Who universe. This also included the regeneration cap. His basic notion was probably that if the Time Lords were going to survive an all out assault from the Daleks, then Rassilon would have needed to change the limit he'd imposed on the regeneration cap. Another possibility is that now that the Time Lords are gone, The TARDIS is what powers his regenerative capabilities, with no hard limit on the amount.
But it's clear that the current writers don't much care for those notions. They imposed a serious limit on River Song's regenerative abilities. She used an unknown amount of her regenerations before trying to kill the Doctor and than used the rest to save his life. If River had a large amount like the Doctor, than it would have been very improbable for her to burn through them all to revive the Doctor.
Needless to say, the writers are responsible for all of the confusion regarding the current state of the Doctor's mortality. Only time will tell what they decide to do.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:45 am
It could be that River gave the Doctor more regenerations since she sacrificed her own. As for who should be the next Doctor, hard to say. I would hope Matt Smith would stick around a good long while. I guess it depends do we want to go young or old?  

DiscordWhovian

Junior Genius

4,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Member 100

skylitdesire

Dapper Heckler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 pm
River gave her remaining regeneration to 11 so most likely there will probably be 4 to 5 more doctors depending on how many she had left to sacrifice (donate) to him.
I would, however, love to see a ginger doctor. Just so he can find some satisfaction in it for however long his regeneration lasts. :3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:11 pm
I have herd they are thinking about Johnny Dep, but it is a British show, and he is not from Britain, so that is probably not true  

the man of many names

Aged Explorer

Pearls of Diamonds

Invisible Borg

8,950 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:46 am
Why do people seem to think that casting a woman as the doctor is a problem? Maybe it looks silly to humans, but did it occur to anyone that maybe gender just isn't that important to Time Lords? In the past yes we've had doctors that strictly like females. But to be honest that is a product of current society, and may change in the future. I am just saying the world is changing and in 20 years that subject may just NOT bother people at all. Shows generally go the way of society, so I wouldn't be shocked at all frankly... Now I haven't watched the whole show but... like, is there a RULE somewhere in past episodes that states that you can't have two time ladies or two time lords who like each other?

Not that it matters much. Because based on what silversonic said (which I totally agree with and BBC SHOULD clarify!) canon was basically stomped on and thrown out the window a while ago. I guess that's to be expected with a show with so many different writers and actors over the years, but they should try to maintain SOME consistency, and try to cover it up at least if they are changing things, by explaining why in a semi-okay manner in the show, so it's not as WTF to us.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 am
the man of many names
I have herd they are thinking about Johnny Dep, but it is a British show, and he is not from Britain, so that is probably not true
Even if he's not British, he can fake the accent pretty well. I mean, it's very beleivable in Sweeney Todd, Pirates of the Carribean, and Corpse Bride.

In any case, the next Doctor has to ginger. No exceptions.  

Honey of the South

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

Starchan13

Magnetic Prophet

9,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:17 pm
Pearls of Diamonds
Why do people seem to think that casting a woman as the doctor is a problem? Maybe it looks silly to humans, but did it occur to anyone that maybe gender just isn't that important to Time Lords? In the past yes we've had doctors that strictly like females. But to be honest that is a product of current society, and may change in the future. I am just saying the world is changing and in 20 years that subject may just NOT bother people at all. Shows generally go the way of society, so I wouldn't be shocked at all frankly... Now I haven't watched the whole show but... like, is there a RULE somewhere in past episodes that states that you can't have two time ladies or two time lords who like each other? .

This. Although if we do get a female Doctor, wouldn't the companion be male? Or maybe not.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:47 pm
Starchan13
Pearls of Diamonds
Why do people seem to think that casting a woman as the doctor is a problem? Maybe it looks silly to humans, but did it occur to anyone that maybe gender just isn't that important to Time Lords? In the past yes we've had doctors that strictly like females. But to be honest that is a product of current society, and may change in the future. I am just saying the world is changing and in 20 years that subject may just NOT bother people at all. Shows generally go the way of society, so I wouldn't be shocked at all frankly... Now I haven't watched the whole show but... like, is there a RULE somewhere in past episodes that states that you can't have two time ladies or two time lords who like each other? .

This. Although if we do get a female Doctor, wouldn't the companion be male? Or maybe not.

Another excellent possibility! We need more males anyway. Sometimes having a ton of females gets on my nerves. sweatdrop  

Pearls of Diamonds

Invisible Borg

8,950 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Starchan13

Magnetic Prophet

9,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:55 pm
Pearls of Diamonds
Starchan13
Pearls of Diamonds

Another excellent possibility! We need more males anyway. Sometimes having a ton of females gets on my nerves. sweatdrop

Hm, I guess we'll have to see. I like 11 a lot, but I'm curious about who's coming next. =3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 pm
Mother of Tides
the man of many names
Even if he's not British, he can fake the accent pretty well. I mean, it's very beleivable in Sweeney Todd, Pirates of the Carribean, and Corpse Bride.

In any case, the next Doctor has to ginger. No exceptions.
true, true  

the man of many names

Aged Explorer

dem0nicd0rk

Fallen Phantom

9,490 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am
gazoomeli
BanHammer555
Nightshroud01
BanHammer555
Time Lady of Gallifrey
I heard that they are seriously and legitamitely considering choosing a woman. I'm all for female empowerment and all that but that's just WRONG!

This is what I heard too. All I can say is that it's about time. I'm all for seeing a female Doctor

Please don't hate on my opinion
I don't hate your opinion, everybody is entitled to thier own, but I just don't like the whole gender bender thing... imagine what that would do to any timelord intimate relationships? Example: man timelord regenerates into a women and says to his wife "Well, looks like we're lesbians now." lmao

You have to admit though, It would be a bizzare enough plot twist to be worthy of Doctor Who

It might be funny, and interesting, but I agree with nightshroud- the whole river song plot would be destroyed, and who would want that?

who's to say she would care?  
The T.A.R.D.I.S.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces