Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
A bit of an update on my animals. :D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:16 pm
Bandit is looking much better weight wise! He's still not quite at his ideal yet, but he's getting there! I'm gonna take him to a groomer for the first time ever tomorrow! biggrin Hopefully he won't be too mad at me for that lol.

My dad is still being stubborn about feeding Jonny treats that contain grains, and still refuses to give him any treat other than the Ol' Roy treats. Jonny is still chewing on himself as a result, though thankfully not as bad as he was before we put him on ToTW. Since the only way my dad will listen to us on the allergies is by getting the allergy test done by the vet, we'll be working on trying to find a way to be able to afford the $400 procedure to get him tested (the price varies depending on the type of test, this price is using all the testing types to find out what it is, and it is the one we're leaning towards)... I don't know how we are gonna be able to afford it, but we'll find a way since my mom and I care about him more than he and my brother seem to (my dad asked my brother what he wanted his dog to have and he said "I don't care, as long as he doesn't puke." >.< He has the same viewpoint my dad does when it comes to animal food and "treats", which is simply if they take it, it must be ok view >.< ).

Country's and Jonny's fur is softer and shinier now! They're also shedding less and have less dandruff! biggrin

My betta (I still haven't named him yet ^^') seems to have taken to tail-biting... One day, his tail was full, the next day it was shredded and half of it was smaller than the other half. I know it's not fin and tail rot since that wouldn't have happened over night, at least not to that extent... And his tail is the only fin having the problem. He's been otherwise acting normal and showing no signs of stress. Is there anything I can do to prevent the tail biting? I'm also going to put something over the filter intake just in case that's causing the problem... I hope it's just the filter intake and not tail biting...

My betta is quite the character, though. If I hold onto his food too long, he'll n** at my fingers. He also is so focused on my fingers that he doesn't realize I dropped his food into the tank over half the time. When ever I go over to the tank to watch them, he'll swim right up to the tank and swim around, watching me while I'm watching him. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:07 am
The spot Jonny's been chewing on has gotten swollen... I'm still suspicious that it's the grains considering he's chewing on himself considerably less with most of the grains out of his diet... If only we could get the last little bit of grains out of his diet from the Ol' Roy treats... My dad will not listen to me about it. There is a chance that my mom could convince him to stop giving Jonny the ol' roy treats as well as any human food that contains grains if she tells him that we inquired about the allergy tests and can't afford them. That we think he's allergic to grains and tell him about our observation with eliminating most grains from his diet and telling him that we would like to try eliminating all the grains from his diet for at least a month and if that works, then he stays off the ol' Roy treats, but if he continues chewing on himself, then we try something else and he can have the Ol' Roy treats again. She isn't even willing to try. She has given up... Now she appears to be convincing herself that it isn't allergies and something growing under his skin (I know that's not the case, given the swelling is right under the wound and wasn't there before he put it there. He won't leave it alone long enough for the scab to form/stay, leaving it as an open wound all the time. he only leaves it alone for a while after we spray something called Vet's Best Hot Spot spray, but once it wears off, he starts licking it again and it's a pain to follow him around to make sure he's leaving it alone...I also know she's not gonna take him to the vet to get that proven or not either because of funding)... I'm at a loss on what to do and am so upset and frustrated that I have no choice at this point but to sit back and watch them poison him with giving him something that he's likely allergic to and not be able to do anything about it. It feels like I'm the only one who cares... gonk

Bandit was a very good boy for the groomer! biggrin I can't afford to take him there regularly, but maybe once or twice a year. biggrin He smelled so good! He was also really happy to see me too! biggrin He still smells nice. smile  

CrissAngelLover12345

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 pm
Maybe you could try to convince your dad to hive him baby carrots instead of ol' roy treats. Milo loves them! Between the two of us we eat 5 pounds a week. We cut them in thirds and put them keep them in plastic bags in the fridge.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:20 am
Elly_the_lost_penguin
Maybe you could try to convince your dad to hive him baby carrots instead of ol' roy treats. Milo loves them! Between the two of us we eat 5 pounds a week. We cut them in thirds and put them keep them in plastic bags in the fridge.

I wish I could, but he has his heart so set on the Ol' Roy treats, he won't listen to anyone else other than the vet, and even that is iffy on if he'd listen to them when it comes to giving them treats/food. The only reason Country and Jonny are getting ToTW is because my mom buys the food. If it were left up to him, they'd be getting what ever crappy brand he happened to pick up at the time, which could be something different with each purchase. >.< Granted, my mom is also buying the treats, but if she stops getting Ol' Roy, my dad will have an absolute coronary. >.< He loves those treats and refuses to give them anything else. He doesn't care that they contain Ethoxyquin and BHA. He doesn't care that one of the dogs is likely allergic to an ingredient in them (we're also thinking it might be something that's in this current bag of ToTW too, it's a different formula from the first bag, and he had stopped chewing on himself with the first bag, and his chewing has returned with this one... so it might be something else that was in both the Kirkland's Best and this formula (my mom doesn't remember what one it is since we transfer the food to an air-tight container, she does remember what the first bag was though. smile )) He believes he knows more than I do about what is healthy for a dog and what isn't. >.< He'll even feed them things with onions in it. >.<

Same thing goes with the cats, only reason they're getting Orijen is because my mom's buying the food.

It took me a lot just to get Bandit on the food I wanted him on, the treats I wanted him on, and a feeding schedule. It took almost a year of constantly fighting him to get that He won't listen to me when it comes to teaching Bandit not to beg, so my dog is stuck going to his crate or in my room when he or my brother eat because they refuse to make him stop begging. He goes in my room during our meal times too and when ever my dad is cooking... *sighs* I wish I didn't have to resort to that, but I don't have much of a choice if I'm to get what I want with him... At least Bandit likes going in my room and his crate.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:01 am
maybe you could get your mom to just "forget" the treats once but that might not work. My mom used to give Riley fried onions until I went and showed her like 40 websites about them. With people who hate being wrong (My entire family being perfect examples) you have to do things delicately so they feel like they are making the choice instead of following what other people tell them. When I am convincing my mom of something i act like its a new idea and included her in research and ask her opinion. Sort of leading them toward the right decision while letting them think they are arriving at the decision themselves

example- would be when we were looking at dog food online early today:

Hey mom read this, it says that the food we've been giving Milo and Riley isn't that great for them. This website has a list of dog food brands with better nutritional value In order of how healthy they are. What is your opinion on this? i think this brand looks really good. It says it has such and such ingredients and has no such and such bad stuff. Do you think we should maybe switch foods?
And now on Monday we are going to Petco for new dog food AND cat food smile

On a completely unrelated note is that you in your sig? cause if so you look almost exactly like my friend joe rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:16 pm
Elly_the_lost_penguin
maybe you could get your mom to just "forget" the treats once but that might not work. My mom used to give Riley fried onions until I went and showed her like 40 websites about them. With people who hate being wrong (My entire family being perfect examples) you have to do things delicately so they feel like they are making the choice instead of following what other people tell them. When I am convincing my mom of something i act like its a new idea and included her in research and ask her opinion. Sort of leading them toward the right decision while letting them think they are arriving at the decision themselves

Hey mom read this, it says that the food we've been giving Milo and Riley isn't that great for them. This website has a list of dog food brands with better nutritional value In order of how healthy they are. What is your opinion on this? i think this brand looks really good. It says it has such and such ingredients and has no such and such bad stuff. Do you think we should maybe switch foods?

On a completely unrelated note is that you in your sig? cause if so you look almost exactly like my friend joe rofl

Unfortunately, I have also tried to get him to read the information, but he won't read it either... gonk

And if my mom were to "forget" the treats, my dad would either pester her until she finally did pick it up or go get it himself... So, that won't work either... gonk

What brand are your dog and cat going to get?

No, that's not me in my sig. It's Criss Angel. He's an illusionist that I'm a fan of (though my username makes that obvious XD). XD  

CrissAngelLover12345

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin

Unfortunately, I have also tried to get him to read the information, but he won't read it either... gonk

And if my mom were to "forget" the treats, my dad would either pester her until she finally did pick it up or go get it himself... So, that won't work either... gonk

No, that's not me in my sig. It's Criss Angel. He's an illusionist that I'm a fan of (though my username makes that obvious XD). XD

Haha your dad sounds like my grandmother.
I think the vet will probably be the only thing that will change his mind.

For the cats we are getting Wellness Core for sure my mom has already decided. Now that we don't have two litters of kittens eating it we can afford it. For the dogs wemight also get Wellness Core but I'm going to try to talk her up to Orijen.

i've heard of Criss Angel and I think he has a show here but I've never seen a picture rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:04 am
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin

For the cats we are getting Wellness Core for sure my mom has already decided. Now that we don't have two litters of kittens eating it we can afford it. For the dogs wemight also get Wellness Core but I'm going to try to talk her up to Orijen.

i've heard of Criss Angel and I think he has a show here but I've never seen a picture rofl

Yep... The vet is pretty much the only thing that will change his mind, and he won't talk to them himself... Unless he has specifically asked them about it, or we have gotten some kind of hand out from them, he won't listen to us, even if the vet told it to us... gonk The one and only thing he'll accept when it comes to Jonny's allergies is an allergy test, and we can't afford it... gonk

Both are good brands! I used Wellness Core for a while until I found Orijen and found that I could afford it. biggrin

He does have a show too! biggrin It's called Mindfreak! biggrin Well, now you've seen a picture. lol  

CrissAngelLover12345

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:46 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin

Yep... The vet is pretty much the only thing that will change his mind, and he won't talk to them himself... Unless he has specifically asked them about it, or we have gotten some kind of hand out from them, he won't listen to us, even if the vet told it to us... gonk The one and only thing he'll accept when it comes to Jonny's allergies is an allergy test, and we can't afford it... gonk

Both are good brands! I used Wellness Core for a while until I found Orijen and found that I could afford it. biggrin

He does have a show too! biggrin It's called Mindfreak! biggrin Well, now you've seen a picture. lol

How much is the allergy test? I know I'm gonna have to have one done for Milo cause of his breed and I think he might be allergic to fibers in his pillow.

i just found out my friend went and saw his Believe show at the Luxor not too long ago haha. If I had the $70 to get tickets I would check it out.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:49 am
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin

How much is the allergy test? I know I'm gonna have to have one done for Milo cause of his breed and I think he might be allergic to fibers in his pillow.

i just found out my friend went and saw his Believe show at the Luxor not too long ago haha. If I had the $70 to get tickets I would check it out.

Depending on the type of test performed, anywhere from $150 - $400 and the one we would want done is the $400 to be sure (it performs all the different tests).

I wanna see his Believe show, but I would need a lot more than just $70. I would also need to fly there from Eastern U.S. and would need money for the hotels. I'll hopefully get to go at some point. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:52 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin

Depending on the type of test performed, anywhere from $150 - $400 and the one we would want done is the $400 to be sure (it performs all the different tests).

I wanna see his Believe show, but I would need a lot more than just $70. I would also need to fly there from Eastern U.S. and would need money for the hotels. I'll hopefully get to go at some point. biggrin

Oh yeah I'm definately gonna want all the allergy tests.

I live in las vegas so I don't need air fare and hotel money haha  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:47 am
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin
CrissAngelLover12345
Elly_the_lost_penguin

Oh yeah I'm definately gonna want all the allergy tests.

I live in las vegas so I don't need air fare and hotel money haha

My mom and I have discussed a bit a while ago and we have realized that his chewing on himself had stopped on the first ToTW formula my mom had gotten, even with still getting some grains in the Ol' Roy treats my dad has been giving him. After that bag was almost out, she picked up a different formula. Jonny has started chewing on himself again, and is also being stubborn with eating it (he was with Kirkland's Best too). Now we're wondering if it could be some protein allergy. It would be nice to know for sure what it is he's allergic to so we know what to avoid, and because my dad and brother give the dogs random scraps off their plates because they stare at them like they're starving so they will actually have tests to prove that he's allergic to what ever it is and not give that item to him. Mom is going to go back to the first formula she picked up when this bag is done. We will eventually do the tests when ever we can afford to.

You're lucky! I would have been able to go see it by now if I had lived over there.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff