Welcome to Gaia! ::

All Writers United

Back to Guilds

A place for any and all writers to share their brilliance. 

Tags: writing, literature, fantasy, horror, roleplay 

Reply Expository/Non Fiction
Journey Through the Rock Cycle

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AZookiex3

5,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:08 pm
This is a VERY old short story. I had to write a story about a rock going through the whole rock cycle for a 9th grade science project. I actually had a lot of fun writing it back then, and my teacher loved it because she said it was cute xD. Let's see what you guys think.
---------------------------------------------
I’m getting really bored of being a sedimentary rock. I really want to get into an open space and away from all of these other rocks. We’re just to close together. I wish there was some way I could change what kind of rock I was.
“I can make your wish come true!”
“Whoa!” I screamed, “Who are you?!”
“Oh that’s not important right now. What is important right now is that I am going to take you through the journey of the rock cycle.”
“Mhmm…..ok…..what’s that exactly?”
The weird voice sighed and said, “The rock cycle is what will make your wish come true. You will be going though many different passages and become different types of rocks. Once you find out what type of rock you really want to be you’ll stay as that rock for some time. Are you ready young sedimentary rock?”
“Sure?”
“Ok! Let’s get started!” said the weird voice. Once it said that I started to feel something. It was warm, and I started to feel a lot of pressure.
“Hey what is this feeling I’m getting?”
“Oh you’re going through the passage of heat and pressure.”
“Huh.” I could’ve figured that out myself since that’s what I felt. After about five minutes, the heat and pressure finally stopped. I could tell I was a different type of rock because I wasn’t so crowed by other rocks anymore.
“Ok, so now what type of rock am I?”
“Now you’re a metamorphic rock. The only way you can become a metamorphic is through heat and pressure. So, do you like being a metamorphic rock?”
“It’s not so bad, but are there other types of rocks I can become?”
“Why yes there is. There are three other types of rocks you can become in the rock cycle. Do you want to try them out?”
“I guess. I would like to see all the other options I have before deciding.”
“Alright then let’s continue!” Now it was getting really hot. So hot, that I could feel myself turning into a liquid. I guess this is what melting is like and let me tell you, I do not like it one bit.
“Why is it so hot?!?” I shrieked, “And what the heck am I now?!”
“Well now you are magma. What? You don’t like being magma?”
“No. In fact, I absolutely hate being anything but a solid. Can we please hurry up and go through some sort of other passage so I can be a solid again?”
“Ok ok.” I could feel myself starting to cool down. I didn’t know that liquid can cool into a solid, but then again I am just a rock. Soon I could tell I was a normal solid rock again.
“What am I now?”
“Now you’re an igneous rock. There’s still one more passage you haven’t tried yet. Would you like to try it out?”
“Sure.” Suddenly I could feel myself breaking down into tiny little pieces.
“Whoa, why am I breaking down?” I asked all confused.
“This is how you become the last thing. Right now you’re going through weathering. It’s a process that breaks you down into smaller materials. After that, you’ll go through another process called erosion. That’s where you move to a different place by a force of nature.”
“Well, I guess I should mention that being cut down into smaller little pieces isn’t my thing either.”
“Ok then you don’t like being sediments then. Well, your only other option in order to not become a sediment anymore is being what you first were.”
“That’s ok. In fact, I think I like being a sedimentary rock anyways. Plus, I know the process that takes places when turning into one.” Soon I was a normal sedimentary rock again. It might be crowed, but at least I won’t ever be alone.
“Well I hope you had fun. I have to get going now. There’s another rock calling for me. Bye-bye!” Just like that, the little weird voice was gone.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm
This would have made my teacher laugh her butt off in my 7th grade science class. This is Jr. High Science gold! Make this into a cartoon short and you've got kids understanding the rock cycle. Awesome job!  

His Majesty Satan
Captain

xx-jocelynn-xx

5,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm
Great Story.  
Expository/Non Fiction

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff