Submit

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:55 am

So, I draw VERY differently between my tablet on the computer and free-hand on my sketchbook. This huge discrepancy in both style and quality really irks the crap out of me and was just wondering if anyone else out there is the same way.

Do your art styles and/or quality vary depending on what medium you're using? Computer or free-hand?

Examples:
* Hand-Drawn: [x], [x], [x], [x]
* Computer w/ Tablet: [x], [x], [x], [x]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 pm
I feel the same way about my own work, but I don't think it should be seen as a bad thing. You can't be working on your tangible media works and your cg works at the same time so I think it would make sense that it involves the amount of time you put into each of them an also that they are different toolsets.

I often tend to work with my sketchbook as a sort of gestural thing to just get down pose and composition or if I'm just doing something for the want of doing it. I don't think I have anything on my devart that is a direct scan from paper although a lot of them are works that were either referenced or inked in photoshop with corrections and such.

My own cg work is what I am most proud of because it looks more polished and refined and so many more colours, but it is also a lot easier to do that quickly as well as easy to fix mistakes and rework things. However it is disappointing to look at a pencil and paper and be like...man, I can't do that here. The closest I could get to my cg work is if I learned to paint but alas time and money.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, everyone grows and changes with their art. If everything you did always looked the same it may get boring, who knows. Hope that was helpful. :)

Amandelie

foxxy_demon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 pm
lol I'm the opposite to Amandelie. I prefer my pencil and sketchy hand-drawn works to my cg stuff.
Sure the cg stuff is cleaner and nicer, stronger colours or varying shades.
But, I'm an animator at heart, and my pencil stuff feels a lot more fluid to me. There's more life in my traditional stuff.  
{::The Official DeviantArt Guild::}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games