Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Wondering... why?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Hi, lately I'm not worried which makes me happy but I'm just confused about something. One thing I've noticed about being in high school... Why do some kids rush into things like dating, sex, drinking and etc? I know it's none of my business but sometimes I wonder. Like when some from the bunch of people I've met in summer school ask me “Why, are you so shy?!” I tend to think of every possible answer before I say something and then I said “Because I have nothing to say? xD” Anyway, I guess it’s a part of my nature like they’re habit of saying “That’s so gay,” without them realizing it. xD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:26 pm
Maybe for some cases it's the last chance to do all that with the same people until you leave for college. Some people also feel like they're going to be more mature after all that's done early [which the case is mostly untrue]  

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TaoShaman

Mewling Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 pm
I've been wondering that same thing.

I think there might be a genetic reason too.Maybe some people are just predisposed to things like that.My mom said she didn't do those things and I didn't either and still don't want to.It could also be that maybe people that did those things are more accepting and okay with their own kids doing it too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 pm
It is never too early to start drinking.
Hell, sometimes my roommate and I have a glass of scotch before brunch.  

Wear Sunscreen

Elapsed Dreams

Distrustful Dog

13,725 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 am
Well on top of peer pressure making them think they have to be like their "friends" and do the same things. The ones who start it without that could just want to prove to people they're adults because they do adult things, or they could try to prove to themselves or others that they are "cool".
But who knows maybe it is just the parenting?
I've been wondering the same thing for awhile now; sadly I haven't found any "for a fact" answers.
I personally don't agree with anyone underage doing more adult things since when you're a kid you should act like one so you don't miss out on your childhood or teenaged times. It could cause problems when you're older. Just my thoughts on it though, nothing else. I don't mean to offend anyone with it.
I've done adult things and do regret it, it ruined my friendship with very good people and makes me think a lot less of myself for being even a little like my dad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:02 pm
I can only speculate as to other people's reasons, but...for me it was mostly out of boredom and general curiosity, not to mention escapism.

We got lectured over and over and over again about peer pressure when I was in high school, but I never felt pressured into doing anything. I did the things I did because I wanted to.

I can't say I felt like I was rushing into anything at the time, although now, as an adult, I can appreciate how incredibly stupid my behaviour was.

I didn't start dating early, but I feel like I understand why other people did. There's a huge emphasis in our culture on being paired up and dating. It's normal for kids to play house, and I think the whole dating thing starts out almost as an extension of that. Take just about any pop song, and it's about something romantic. razz Mario is always saving the Princess. Barbie has Ken. You get the idea.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:38 pm
Yeah its usually the peer pressure, adult thing, or curiousity.
Eh my family's full of drunks so I wanted to be different but now I'm starting to be like "Aw hell why not."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 pm
It's mixture of peer pressure and looking/feeling mature. I remember when I was in high school all I wanted to do was be more mature. It's stupid now that I look back on it. It becomes peer pressure when the kids who want to be mature start egging on kids who aren't too into it. They then get sucked into that lifestyle.  

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

Wear Sunscreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:26 pm
Science suggests that you should drink.

And I'll drink to that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 pm
o.o No wonder my dad still looks young.  

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 am
Wear Sunscreen

I've read the first article. If it weren't for the fact that I'm on heavy medication I would be a drinker (even though I battled alcoholism). I suppose by those standards I'm a genius. As for the second one, I don't think that's very accurate. xp Heavy drinkers are more prone to liver disease, liver damage, heart disease, cancer and heart attacks.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 am
Gaga-Sexual
Wear Sunscreen

I've read the first article. If it weren't for the fact that I'm on heavy medication I would be a drinker (even though I battled alcoholism). I suppose by those standards I'm a genius. As for the second one, I don't think that's very accurate. xp Heavy drinkers are more prone to liver disease, liver damage, heart disease, cancer and heart attacks.

In your profile it says you're a writer, artist, and poet.
The study was done by people at Stanford and UT-Austin who have Ph.D.s in biology and other sciency things.
I don't think your deduction is very accurate.
Especially since this was published in Time Magazine about a year ago.

Also, alcohol obviously damages your liver, and cancer is sort of a toss up because alcohol encourages some kinds of cancer and discourages others, but a lot of studies suggest that alcohol actually can prevent cardiovascular disease.  

Wear Sunscreen

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:40 am
*shrugs* Maybe they'll come up with a drug that keeps alcohol from damaging your liver.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 pm
They only tell teens about bad effects. Yeah, dope can kill you, but then why do people do it? It's life when you tell the 5 year old not to touch something. They want to touch it more. You ALWAYS want what you can't have. It's a simple fact of the human brain. Kids want to try everything at least once so that when they get old it's nice to look back and be able to say that you actually did something 'wild and crazy' in your life and that you didn't just waste it watching T.V. or on the comp  

Serrenedy

Unbeatable Lover

6,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
  • 20 Wins 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:00 am
ive never been much of a drinker, my parents gave me sips of their drinks when i was growing up so it was never a big deal to me. even now i only have one or 2 drinks when im out with friends or a glass of wine when im drawing now and then  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games