Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
It this rant too "viscous"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Denkou Soshiatae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:16 am
I saw something on TV where a man (don't know who he is) was at a podium in front of an American flag, He said that Gay Rights were not something America wanted or needed and that we can't have them because we are "God's Nation". So I posted this on Facebook:

This is not God's Nation. We weren't founded on Christianity, we aren't founded on Christianity, we never will be founded on Christianity. This is not a Christian country, and religion has no place in the government, politics, or schools of this Nation. Get over yourselves you hypocritical pricks.

I posted it and read it to a friend. She told me that it was viscous and that I was no better than the people who put up rants about how homosexuality was wrong.

I think of it like this: If you see a bully beating up a kid, you tell the bully to stop, and use force to get them away if you have to.

So what do you guys think?

I took the post down almost right away because almost all of my family is Christian while i am an Atheist, and I didn't want my family to be offended...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:21 am
it's not too vicious to me. after all, who is he to say that homosexuals have no right to be here? the LGBT community is full of people. people with hearts and souls, just like straight men and women. and in some cases i agree that we aren't a christian nation. after all, it originally was, but it soon lost a lot of its christian values. however, there are a lot of people who still have christian values, and i applaud true christians(not the ones who say theyre christian then be nasty and judge and hate on other people, but the ones who actually LOVE and they dont discriminate, no matter what). ive been lucky enough to be in an environment with true christians, and its so peaceful. im not religious myself but my parents are, and they have found a nice church with wonderful people.  

xKuroxBarax

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 am
User Image

It didn't sound vicious to me. :v

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 am
It didn't sound vicious to me at all. I completely agree.  

ll-Mystic Rhythms-ll

iLegoBlock

Wheezing Sex Symbol

6,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 am
No, it wasnt viscious.

But by the way.
To begin with, religion was a major building block for all of North America. People were brought in specifically to convert Native peoples to Catholic, in order to assimilate.
Land was set aside "Clergy Reserves" which was large chucks of land all over the place for the church.
Christianity didnt play a large role, Catholosism did.

Now dont get me wrong, I truly agree that religion has no place in the government ect.
But however much you hate it, religion is a large part of any country.
Every country is filled with people devout to different gods.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am
iLegoBlock
No, it wasnt viscious.

But by the way.
To begin with, religion was a major building block for all of North America. People were brought in specifically to convert Native peoples to Catholic, in order to assimilate.
Land was set aside "Clergy Reserves" which was large chucks of land all over the place for the church.
Christianity didnt play a large role, Catholosism did.

Now dont get me wrong, I truly agree that religion has no place in the government ect.
But however much you hate it, religion is a large part of any country.
Every country is filled with people devout to different gods.

It was originally thought that this country was based on Christianity. But researches have found documents and diaries and letters by many heads in history, including the founding fathers, stating that America was in no way to be founded as a Christian country.
Yes a lot of people did come to the new country to convert people to their religions, and some of the founding fathers WERE religious, but not all of them were, and it was a very open fact that they didn't want to push their beliefs on others.
What bothers me is that people are either so deranged or under educated that they think that just because the founders of a country believed in a God, that the country itself was founded on a God.
Heck, "Under God" wasn't even added to the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954, 12 years after the original Pledge was adopted by America.  

Denkou Soshiatae

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:46 pm
Heck, I'm a Catholic and I don't find this viscious! That guy sounded like he was a politically incorrect, biased, ethnocentric, and undereducated jackass. I would have been just as offended. This country clearly is not "God's Nation," if anything, God's Nation is Jerusalem because Jesus, Moses, and so many other religious figures were raised there. That guy has to realize the reason why people came to America was for freedom of religion. People can practice Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, Paganism, Atheism, Hinduism, Judaism, and so many others. Just because this country is predominantly Christian does not mean that is the only religion.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 pm
If it were viscous it would have been filled up with Ad Hominem attacks  

Inyeri the Frozen

Beloved Flatterer

7,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 pm
if that was vicious then i'm Gilles Duceppe.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 pm
If it was Vicious, then I am a Panda. XD Which I'd actually liked to be.  

Nerdy Lullaby

Lonely Phantom

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces