Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Dealing with stepfamilies?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masked_Ven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:38 am
Hi, there.
Lately, I've been frustrated with my soon to be step- father figure and sister. I don't mean to sound selfish or anything like that but let me 1st, state some important facts about my step sister; let’s call her "B."
Soon to be high school freshman
Very Homophobic
Impulsive
Loud
Obsessed with animals like (dogs, cats, horses)
Just to let you know these are things I’ve picked up from our first impression since I’ve only known her and her dad for a couple of months now. So far from my observations of two, “B,” overcompensates for her having no friends which I’m leaded to believe by her dad with pets. I have nothing against animals there are so many that it kind of scares me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve tried to be her friend but she isolates herself from people so much and really seems to hate me for some unknown reason. It’s like she’s saying “I hate you,” every time she glares at me; maybe, because we are like polar opposites.
Her dad the on the other hand is very nice and my mom seems to really like him but he’s kind of push over and seems to have given up on his daughter in terms of parental control. Remember that’s just my opinion. I love my mom and want her to have I the greatest of happiness in life but I don’t think she or anyone else for that matter should have to put up with “B’s” rude behavior. Since I know 1st hand that our family as whole in past has been through some s**t. I surely don’t want to hurt and abandon my mom but I don’t feel a part of that family at all. Even my Dad and older sister keep saying I should stop tormenting myself like this. I’m at a crossroads and it’s confusing!
>_<;
Advice?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 am
A few things...

1) She's a freshman. I'm sorry if I'm pin-pointing this particular age group, but freshman are known to be immature and have a lack of stature. They haven't gone through the life-changing trip that is high school yet, so her behavior doesn't surprise me at all (also considering that her father isn't parenting correctly, according to you). And yes, high school really does prepare you for the future. If not academically, then simply a slap to the face that says, "No one in the world gives a s**t about you."

2) You've only known these people for "a couple of months," which is like saying "not at all." Families spend lifetimes together, and a few months is not nearly enough time to understand and adjust to everyone's behavior (********, I've lived with my brother for 22 years [my age] and I still don't understand him). Give them more time; who knows - they might surprise you later on.

3) This is going to sound rough... But never put someone else's happiness before yours. YOUR happiness is what should matter the most. Yes, I know that your family has had a rough past, but that doesn't mean you have to have a rough future. If at any case your new family doesn't provide the comfort, joy, and security you need, you always have your dad and older sister, who, by the sound of the OP, seem very loving and concerning for you.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Gordums

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 am
Have you discussed these issues with your mother? If you are worried about your happieness with her in the future, then do talk to her about it. There's nothign wrong with expressing to her how you feel about this issue because you're just trying to deal with this issue itself.

Perhaps you could help B find some new friends?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:16 am
Maybe try talking to her? I would assume that a girl with no friends would be rather attached to her home life as it is. She may feel threatened that one day she won't be the only girl at home for her father to take care of, that maybe your family isn't okay with a bunch of animals, that things will change. Ask her why she doesn't like you. Ask if there's something you can do to help. Maybe try talking to your mom's boyfriend about it too. Ask if there's something he knows you can do to help ease the situation. Try to talk to your mom about it too. Let her know that the situation is hard on you because of his daughter, and let her know that you're trying to help.  

-Scarlet-Experiment-

Dangerous Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items