Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
News from the U.N.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bollier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:23 pm
In case you hadn't heard, the U.N. declared that "there should be no discrimination or violence against people based on their sexual orientation." I find this interesting because there was a thread here a few months ago (I was going to post a link, but I couldn't find it sweatdrop ) about how they denied such protections to homosexuals. It will give them the right to document human rights abuse against us, as well as laws that punish us. It might not actually make these issues better on its own, but it is that vital first step.

Here is the article itself:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43443853/ns/world_news-europe/

Any thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:56 pm
The UN seems to be powerless to actually do ANYTHING. They can make all their declarations- but unless something comes up in a War Crime trial, they can't enforce it. If they could- you wouldn't see half of the racism in the US that you see today- or the classism.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 pm
United Nations is just another term for "Friends For Now"  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:19 pm
The UN is kind of too big to really do anything. It's more to try to keep peace, but they can't interfere with civil wars. It might be because if they try to do too much, they might end up causing more wars than there already are. They're probably doing the best they can.  

TaoShaman

Mewling Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hellraiser 500

airforce_freak6678

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 pm
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/un-general-assembly-votes-to-allow-gays-to-be-executed-without-cause/politics/2010/11/20/15449

^^^^^^ The Link You Were Looking For ^^^^^^^

@Esiris that is because what most people see from the UN is the Council & General Assembly resolutions, the different councils and the General Assembly only make resolutions that do things like "emphasize" this, and "reenforce" this, and "recommend" a specific course of action. As you see from my link they can also change policy, however it is only the UN Security Council that has any authority to do ANYTHING, such as mobilize UN "Blue Caps" (The UN's [small] Military force), so yes this does make things like killing all LGBT people in a country a crime against humanity (a genocide), it also makes making being gay illegal, illegal. However only the Security council can do anything about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:17 pm
airforce_freak6678
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/un-general-assembly-votes-to-allow-gays-to-be-executed-without-cause/politics/2010/11/20/15449

^^^^^^ The Link You Were Looking For ^^^^^^^

@Esiris that is because what most people see from the UN is the Council & General Assembly resolutions, the different councils and the General Assembly only make resolutions that do things like "emphasize" this, and "reenforce" this, and "recommend" a specific course of action. As you see from my link they can also change policy, however it is only the UN Security Council that has any authority to do ANYTHING, such as mobilize UN "Blue Caps" (The UN's [small] Military force), so yes this does make things like killing all LGBT people in a country a crime against humanity (a genocide), it also makes making being gay illegal, illegal. However only the Security council can do anything about it.

When I see Blue Caps storming a prison and saving people sentenced to death for loving their partner- then I'll put stock in it. I hope it happens soon and saves many lives- but I don't know that it will.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items