Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Homosexuality related to problems during childhood? o.o Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a homosexual who has had a problematic or difficult childhood?
  Yes
  No
  Not sure
View Results

BleedingInkXIII

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:21 pm
Shilberu Erikku
DeathStarXII
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII
I don't really know. Can't remember much (even though I'm not that old).

I'm not surprised. The only reason I remember anything is because it was that bad :/

I know that it...wasn't bad? Some slight bullying (in which I responded by punching the bullies later on), but I think that's about it. That - and some frequent nightmares on people I love dying and whatnot.

Aw,
Seems like so many people have at least some bad memories from their childhood, no matter how small.
It's a shame. I wish things could just be....good in life?

Oh well... x.x

If everything in life was good, I'd think it'd be pretty dull. Not the same, you know?

I don't really see how lack of conflict would be boring. Wouldn't life be more like a yonkoma?

Well, I don't know what a yonkoma is sweatdrop , but I know that for me, life sure as hell wouldn't be the same. I don't necessarily like conflicts and problems and drama (Who does?) but I know that I wouldn't be the person I am now without them.

And I think most kids may have some sort of sucky thing happen to them in their life. Whether it's always being neglected, dealing with bullies, divorce, a death, or just some small things - maybe getting traumatized by clowns or something.

And this is just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:27 pm
DeathStarXII
Shilberu Erikku
DeathStarXII
l o r d VOMIT f a c e
DeathStarXII

I know that it...wasn't bad? Some slight bullying (in which I responded by punching the bullies later on), but I think that's about it. That - and some frequent nightmares on people I love dying and whatnot.

Aw,
Seems like so many people have at least some bad memories from their childhood, no matter how small.
It's a shame. I wish things could just be....good in life?

Oh well... x.x

If everything in life was good, I'd think it'd be pretty dull. Not the same, you know?

I don't really see how lack of conflict would be boring. Wouldn't life be more like a yonkoma?

Well, I don't know what a yonkoma is sweatdrop , but I know that for me, life sure as hell wouldn't be the same. I don't necessarily like conflicts and problems and drama (Who does?) but I know that I wouldn't be the person I am now without them.

And I think most kids may have some sort of sucky thing happen to them in their life. Whether it's always being neglected, dealing with bullies, divorce, a death, or just some small things - maybe getting traumatized by clowns or something.

And this is just my opinion.

a yonkoma is a 4 panel manga collection, like K-ON, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 pm
Personally, I think homosexuality likely has multiple causes, with certain types of childhood trauma possibly being one of them. That doesn't mean all homosexuals have childhood trauma, just that it is one possible cause.

To clarify, I think that homosexuality may be the result of several factors, some genetic and some environmental, and most homosexuals became homosexual through the presence of more than one, but generally not all, of these factors.

Of course, this is just an unprofessional opinion based on casual observation of studies on homosexuality and not a proper scientific theory by someone with a degree, so don't go asking me for sources on this opinion, as they don't exist. This is speculation on my part, and is in no way meant to be taken as scientific fact or a proper theory.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 pm
I am bisexual, but I feel like everything that happened that was traumatic happened after I became fully aware of my sexuality. Looking back I notice that I was intrigued by my second and third grade teachers, but I didn't have a proper crush on a guy until about 7th grade, a proper crush on a girl in 8th and didn't tell anyone until somewhere around 8th grade year.

I personally think a sexuality just is and there is nothing we can do to change it.  

Clever Scotch Sheep

6,200 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:58 pm
Another theory is that it can be derived from an early age due to the fact that kids tend to start out gay. Kids tend to discourage each other from hanging out with the opposite sex and avoid them like the plague. A kid might fear being ridiculed by his peers,and attcah himself only towards males, which can result in that kid eventually being gay/bi. Every (scientific) theory of homosexuality is correct. It's genetic, can be caused by trauma, and can be derived from adaptation. The problem is that people tend to put one single aspect of it on a pedestal, which ultimately leads to conflict.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:30 pm
It's BS. I know so many gay people who had great childhoods and open minded households and still grew up to be gay, straight, or bi. One, even a transgender.

Me, however, I was bullied horribly during all of my elementary school years. It was so bad that it took me until at least eleventh grade to be certain that my best friend wasn't just my best friend to make me feel better or pull a long term trick on me. We're still best friends to this day and we're both 21.

I was, in fact, raped as a child. I was 10. It didn't change my sexual orientation at all. I liked girls way before that happened.

I was molested by a classmate when I was 8. I say "molested" because, even though it felt good, she always initiated it, whether I wanted to do it or not and when we were at school, she avoided me like the plague. (Truthfully, I think someone was touching her and she took out that frustration and confusion on me.)

Still, I was attracted to girls much earlier than that.

After the psychology classes I have taken, all I can chalk my experiences up to is this: Because of the events of my childhood, I now have a moderate to severe distrust in those around me. I'm always going to think that someone is out to use me, then abuse me, whether they're male or female. My sexual orientation has not been altered by a past event, seeing as how I was abused by both a male and a female and still see both sexes as attractive.

*sigh* Well, I think that may be it. All in all, I was born bisexual.

Midnyt Tyr

Dangerous Lover

Duct Tape Trap

3,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm
When I was a baby, the closest thing to a father figure I had was a gay man... but, that was only at about a month old... not really important. But the next time I had one, wasn't until age 11.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm
I didn't grow up with a father so I guess that could have something to do with it. I think it's true to an extent.
Although, people need to realize that there are kids who grew up in "perfectly" "normal" families and they ended up being LGBT. And that there are kids who have had totally eff'd up families but they are stills straight.
I agree with Gordums in saying that people just tryin to link being gay and growing up without a parent/being molested as an excuse to try to find the origin of homosexuality.

Just to say it, one thing that bothers me about peoples' arguments of where being homosexual derives, is that they say if a girl gets molested by a man, she will reject men and start wanting women, but if a boy gets molested by a man, he will actually reject women and be with a man. What? I do not see the logic in that.

I do not really care why I'm gay. It's possible that I was born this way or that certain events in my life caused it. Whatever the reason, the main point is that I didn't choose my sexuality and it's already set in place so there's no use trying to change it. I'm just gonna accept it and love myself unconditionally.  

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers