Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fantasia ~ A Disney Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for discussion on Disney movies and relating subjects. 

Tags: Disney, Animation, Fantasia, Mickey Mouse, Disneyland 

Reply Disney Discussion
Walt Disney barely came up with his own ideas

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jeweel

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:11 pm
wich is sad  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 pm
What do you mean? We kinda need a little more to go on in order to have a discussion...  

Spark of Madness

Timid Bookworm

Musenna

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:48 pm
Spark of Madness
What do you mean? We kinda need a little more to go on in order to have a discussion...

I think she means that the majority of Disney movies are based of existing fairytales or books.

In my opinion, I don't think it's sad. In fact, any time Disney tries to create an original idea, it doesn't do very well. They take something and make it their own. Lots of movies do that, especially nowadays. Even classic movies such as Wizard of Oz are based off previous creations...Shakespeare himself drew inspiration from other work.

I think everyone knows that Disney movies didn't create the original fairytales, and it isn't like they are the only company that makes movies based off those stories. (I can't even begin to count how many Cinderella adaptions there are haha) and they are certainly not claiming that these are their own stories...they always give proper credit when it is needed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 pm
Well nothing is original anymore, for the most part everything now is the same plot over and over, a remake of an older movie, or an adaptation of a book/story.

Also, it's not like Disney got it's fortune from ripping off other people's ideas. Walt Disney didn't get famous with his fairytale movies, it was his cartoons the Alice comedies that put live action into animation. And there are some good original movies like 'Lady and the Tramp', 'The Apple Dumpling Gang', 'Pete's Dragon', 'Tron', so on so forth.

Also, he used multiplane cameras in his animated movies. This made backrounds more proportional and gave the movie a somewhere 3D effect.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Disney has done more that just rip off old fairy tales.  

netherfreak

DustQueen

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 pm
Well, Disney never claimed the stories as their own... Walt Disney wanted to revolutionize storytelling in Cinema. Which I think he achieved. Disney was the first to put many fairy tales on screen in a way that the entire family could enjoy. Fairy Tales and stories in most cultures are not original anyway... if you study the art of storytelling it is pretty much taking ideas from somewhere else and adding a few of your own twists.

If you were to criticize authors for doing the same thing you wouldn't be able to read Fantasy. Its just not possible because all myths and magic came from SOMEWHERE.

And if you wanna get technical... almost EVERY movie out today is based on a book, poem or short story someone else wrote at some point. Or a "loosely based on" model. Instead of focusing on where things originally came from... lets focus on what counts.

The ability to RE-tell a STORY that everyone will love. After all... there are "LOTS OF STORIES"(-Wendy)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:03 pm
I agree with what's been said already. Yes only 35% of what was released while Disney was alive was original. Since everyone focuses so much on the fairy tales that they have re-told, I think that it needs to be mentioned that they didn't stick to the story line for line, therefore they have created a new story. Most people now a days don't even realize that the Princess threw the frog against a wall to turn him into a prince and there was no kissing involved! It's become a whole new story. So in a round about way, they have made their own ideas. And when people come to realize this they become curious and want to see where the origins lay and end up reading the originals (I'd like to believe that there are others like me who did this, at least) so it also encourages reading, which is almost lost in this age. So I don't believe that it is a negative thing that he took those inspirations from other stories.  

LittleLordGothleroy

Feline Bloodsucker

15,175 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Demonic Associate 100
Disney Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items