Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]
[PRP] Prayers to the Sun (Yezekael x Yejide)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm
Some days, everything seemed gray. Everything seemed lifeless, overwhelmingly flat. These were the days when Yezekael began to question that jolly light-heartedness he tried so hard to infuse into everything.

He understood the inherent precariousness of his life, his health, of everything around him, and for the most part, it all seemed to fall to the wayside for the young lion because he would remember that there was always something better to look forward to. There was always a light, no matter how dark the tunnel - and he knew that. But he was just a child, after all, and few children ever go through childhood without pausing to question those things that they held dearest to them, and Zeki was no exception.

His mind was frail, still, for he had yet to learn that resolve that would keep him grounded, no matter how bleak the situation became. He was well on his way, but there was much to learn yet, and he hadn't quite figured out how to overcome this: these dull, stony days when the sun's light filtered weakly out of the sky and life itself seemed almost a lost cause. It made him feel down, sad though he did his best not to, and wanting nothing more but a snuggle and a warm body to keep him company.

So he lay, half in and half out of his family's den, shoulders slumped in dejection and eyes half-lidded as he peered silently into the world beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm
Yejide had taken the day off. While she was a healer of the pride, she had been encouraged by some of her pride mates to not over work herself, especially as a first-time mother. Yes, there were nannies whom were always near, ready to keep an eye on some of the rowdier cubs and care for those when illness or work kept them away. But there was no father in this picture to give love to her family, and she feared her children might think she favored work over them.

That would never, ever be the case.

The love the female felt for all of her children - she still couldn't believe she had seven cubs - was overwhelming. Yes, she feared for their lives, for their health, and still secretly grieved over the lot that she had unknowingly bestowed upon them. But this was her path, and there was no leaving or getting out of it. All she could do was hope and pray that her family stayed healthy and strong and were granted long life.

Lying within the back of the den, where most of her brood were curled up and sleeping away the day, orange eyes noticed a figure lying at the mouth of the den. He was silhouetted, his coat cast in shadow against the light of day (even if it was cloudy). Gingerly pushing herself to her feet, the lioness snuck ever so quietly up to her son, reaching out to give his shoulders and back of neck an affectionate nuzzle and lick.

". . . It's quiet out here today, isn't it?" She questioned, standing over her son as her own gaze looked out at the world. It was grey and quiet, almost like the calm before the storm. She knew that out there, no far, were cubs an adultst dying. Their life and energy was being depleted, their bodys writhing in pain and discomfort and fever. The sun hidden behind such thick clouds only made the heaviness of the pride, the seemingly emptiness that could be found, that much worse.

Glancing down, she offered a small, but loving smile at her son. "Is my baby boy feeling all right?" She didn't want to ask, for she feared he might very well be ill and dying, but as his mother she needed to know, wanted to know. What was he thinking, what was he pondering. . . It broke a bit of her heart to see him look so dejected.

Uta

Shy Mage

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 am
He had been so preoccupied with doing absolutely nothing and simply wallowing in the gloom that he didn't notice his mother's approach until he felt her familiar touch against the nape of his neck, and he twisted his head around to gaze into her fiery orange eyes. The love and admiration he held for his mother reflected from his bright lavender eyes, and though he felt more down than he could explain, a happy smile flitted across face. Pushing himself into a sitting position, he scooted himself over and wrapped his forepaws around Yejide's foreleg and rubbed his cheek against it with a small mewl.

"Mmhmm," he agreed with a nod, staring out into the dull day, as if hesitant to ruin the inherent stillness of everything around him. It was like a burden, weighing heavily over the pride lands and sucking what little joy existed away. The repressive aura of the day loomed menacingly over him, as if threatening to make it all worse if he but tried to make things better.

"Oh, I'm okay, mama," he reassured her. Zeki was well aware of the fear, the guilt that she lived with when it came to her children, and though he didn't presume to understand what had driven her to this place to begin with, he wanted her to know that he didn't blame her, and that if anything was to happen, it wouldn't be her fault. But more than that, for as long as possible, he wanted her to know that he wasn't dying. Yet, anyway, and if it came to pass that someday he would have to confront his impending mortality, he would be more than prepared to do it. But not today. "S'just... the sun is sad." He shrugged. "It's okay."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:55 am
Yejide couldn't keep the smile from her maw as her young son cuddled in to her leg. The black lioness still regretted joining without knowing she was pregnant. There were many times she wished she could stop herself from giving her life to those in need, and yet, she never wanted her cubs to think she regretted them. Just the situation. Thankfully though, she would do her best to give them all the love in the world, and fill their days with as much joy as she could.

Settling herself behind her young cub, the lioness reached a great paw over and pulled him in to her arms, nuzzling him affectionately and taking as much comfort in his touch as he might find in hers. Yejide hadn't expected such a large litter - seven cubs! - but every one of them owned a piece of her heart.

"The sun is sad today. But I think it's allowed to take a day to feel a bit down and grey," she added with a soft purr. She hated to see him so low! "Thankfully though, just like with all of us, the sun won't stay so sad forever. Very soon it'll break through the clouds, and spread its warmth over all the lands once again." Glancing out over her son, Yejide could definitely see why the world might bring her young son down. It was awfully grey out, and it only made the heaviness of the day, the fear of disease, and the pain of their pride mates terribly obvious. She much preferred the happier moments, with the sun shining and the gentle breezes blowing; a way to forget that their life was far from normal and safe.

"Maybe the clouds are offering the sun a hug and encouragement, wrapping it up in their love to make it feel better. Just like our own sorts of cuddles," she added, giving him another nuzzle and affectionate lick. She'd never heard of the sun being sad, but she preferred to think of the happier times, especially for her son's sake. She didn't want him down for long.

Uta

Shy Mage

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:06 am
He settled down against his mother with a small purr, leaning his head against her leg to use it as a pillow, still watching the sun wistfully. On these days, it was so difficult to keep the reality of his home at bay, so difficult to remember that there was always something to be optimistic about.

"Well, I hope the clouds make the sun happy again." He said, rather matter-of-factly. They certainly didn't make Yezekael too happy, but he supposed he could put up with that if it meant the sun might emerge doubly happy. "But I hope the wind chases them away soon."

Because he didn't want the sun to get too down. If it sank into a depression, it might never want to leave the clouds' fluffy hug, and that simply wouldn't do. Yezekael wished it not only for himself - for he knew his situation, thus far, was much better than that of many others - but for all the others, the sick ones - especially the sick children - that so needed the sun around to keep their spirits up. Zeki could only begin to imagine the pain they must be going through, but if he could feel so down without the sun, he imagined that their responses would be many times worse.

"Mama, do you think the sun can hear us?" He asked after a moment's silence. "If I ask it to come out again soon, do you think it'll unnerstand me?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Yejide cuddled close to her son, offering him an affectionate nuzzle now and again as he spoke. The fact he was so down and out broke her heart, and she wished that she had some way of easing his sadness. What joy she could give him, if only she had the power to. . . . For every day one of her children cried or was hurt or scared, yet another piece of her heart chipped away. This was the fate she had brought them unknowingly in to. Her desire to be selfless, to do good for a change, to take a risk had ultimately doomed them all.

If only they could forgive her. Still, the grief in her heart was hidden from them, and was something she would only touch upon while alone. For now, she would do what she could to ease her sons sad mood. "Well, I am quite sure in no time at all those clouds will drift away, and the familiar sunshine will brighten the lands once more." It was a promise, since the sun always did return. . . .it was just a matter of time. "I think the sun can hear your prayers. And if not the sun itself, than the sun gods will certainly hear it and bring its message back." She knew it wasn't necessarily good to promote the worship of foreign gods, especially after rumors of Pestilence's wrath a few years prior. But surely one little prayer wouldn't hurt. . . .would it?

"But even if it listens, it will have a will of its own. If we say a prayer to it now, I am sure it will be considered, but we must be patient too, love," she purred softly, glancing over him and up at the thick ring of clouds. "And try to consider the good that comes of this drear. It may not be as pretty as the sunlight, but there are good things about the clouds. Like shade. There's no burning heat and the temperature is cool and refreshing, is it not?" One always had to find the silver lining even when it was difficult to discern. Hopefully she could get her son in to the habit of thinking such positive affirmation.

Uta

Shy Mage

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:28 pm
"Right," he agreed, with a nod, staring down at the shaded ground. He supposed it really was a good turn out of a dreary day. No sun meant no heat, and he had to admit that it was a pleasant feeling to sit in the shade and feel the light tickle of breezes brushing past his face. At the very least, it didn't make him pant like the sun's bright rays did, and there was relative comfort, even without the bright light.

Even still, he hoped the sun would return soon. There was nothing wrong with a small reprieve from its heat, but it was just... easier to feel some good cheer when everything was warm and happy-looking. He didn't mind being a little bit hot if it meant he could laugh for no reason in particular.

Shutting his eyes tight, he thought up a prayer that he hoped the sun would take into consideration. "Dear sun," he began slowly, as if measuring out every word. "I know that sometimes you get sad, and sometimes you need a hug. But I think that we need your light also, so if you come out to make my brothers and sisters happy again, I promise I'll give you a big hug like the clouds do."

He opened his eyes and glanced up at the hidden sun, then at his mother. "Mama, do you think it heard me?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm
Yejide listened to the little prayer that her son told the sun. It was endearing and sweet, and she couldn't help but hide the smile of humor that caused her orange eyes to glow. She wondered if perhaps such sweetness came from Jawara, and briefly, for a moment, she had to wonder how the large lion was doing. . . . It was strange to think that she was here now . . . and yet only a few months prior, she had been a rogue with few worries and no cubs.

Life had certainly changed. . . . And while she still felt terribly guilty for bringing cubs in to a pride that faced a fatal disease. . . . well. . . She also understood that what had happened couldn't be helped. While the thought of having cubs and being a single mother had petrified her at first, she now realize that her life was no longer her own. She adored all of her cubs, and couldn't believe she once lived a life without them!

"That was a very nice prayer, 'Zekie," she shortened his name and gave him another affectionate nuzzle and pure. "The sun is very far away, and so it may take a little while before the sun gets the message, especially as it needs to get through those clouds. But I know for a fact that the sunshine will hear your prayer, and be much happier for it. All we can do now, unfortunately, is wait and give the sun time to think about what it wants to do."

Grinning some, her tail thumping happily, she leaned down and added, "But until then, I think you should give your old mother a hug as practice!"

Uta

Shy Mage

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:54 pm
"If it heard, then I think it'll come back soon," he said after a moment's thought. The sun was such a benevolent thing, after all, and the cub refused to believe for a second that it would deny the pleas of a child - or anyone, for that matter - especially if they had been stated so explicitly.

Still, he would understand if it took the sun a little while. If it was far away, then maybe it only made sense for it to take longer for his message to reach it. And maybe by then, his prayer would be a little too quiet to move the sun... His ears flattened slightly in distress as the thought struck him, but he figured that it was too soon to repeat the prayer, so he made a mental note to do it again later, louder if the sun hadn't yet come out. Just to make sure that it had heard.

At Yejide's words, a broad grin split his face, and his worries seemed to vanish as he giggled and spun around, launching himself upon his mother and flinging his paws around her, as far as he could reach. Which... wasn't very far, but it would do for now. When he grew bigger, he would give her a real bear hug.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 pm
While Yejide couldn't guarantee anything, or truly assuage her sons fears and depression over the temporary loss of the sun, she would certainly do her best to try. It was almost unbearable to see him so upset, and he while her words might not be true, at the very least she could attempt to distract him.

Hugs were always a good way to begin. The fact that 'Zeke seemed so enthused warmed her heart, and the love within her grew. She had never known such love until she had given birth to cubs and started a family. She had always been alone, had always been afraid to let others in. . . but her children. . . . there was nothing she wouldn't do for them. Beaming at her young cub, she leaned down and gave him an affectionate nuzzle, her long tail thumping behind her in joy.

"My my, you're getting so big! It won't be long now before you'll tower over me and be the most handsome lion in the pride." She purred encouragement, reaching around with her paw and pulling him close. Giving his 'mane' a loving lick, Yejide slowly rose to her paws before batting ever so gently, playfully, at her son. She was hoping to induce a game of wrestling or some sort of tussle. Perhaps she could distract him from his blues long enough until the sunshine returned.

Uta

Shy Mage

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:33 pm
"Almost!" He agreed, sticking his forearm out to place his tiny paw next to hers. Well, it was still a far cry from being anywhere as big as his mother's paw, but... it had grown, at least, so that meant that he really was on his way to being as big and handsome as she said he was going to be.

"An' when I'm bigger, I can be like a daddy and keep mean lions away, cause... cause then I'll be big. An' they gonna be scared to come over cause they can't be han'somer than me." He grinned, pleased by the idea that very soon, he would be able to take care of his mama. He knew that perhaps he might fall ill before he got the chance, but until that really happened, he was determined to grow up big and strong so he could watch out for his family.

At the batting, he let out a small squeal and scrambled to his feet, reaching with his still-clumsy paws and trying to ensnare his mother's. The few tumbles he took by accident didn't seem to faze him, and each time, he hopped back up to continue his mini-rampage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:49 pm
Yejide couldn't help but stifle the laughter that bubbled up in side her as Yezekael spoke. She couldn't actually believe he talked about keeping all the mean lions away or being the most handsomest of all. It was quite endearing really and she was reminded once again just how blessed she had been. The life she lived now was a far cry from where she used to be, but it was something she would cherish forever. Sometimes, especially now when everything seemed to be so well and so peaceful, she could forget about the disease that would someday take her cubs from her, and could pretend that life was normal and how it should be. These were the moments to cherish, after all, for getting through the day alive was never a guarantee.

"Well then, Zeki, I do believe that you'll take most excellent care of our family. Your brothers and sisters won't have anything to worry about when they get older, for you'll be there to care from them. And just as you take care of them, I'll be able to take care of you." She smiled down at him, pleased that he seemed so determined to grow big and strong. And live. It was all she could hope for . . . all she could desire.

Chuckling with good humor, the lioness watched as her son suddenly attempted to ensnare her paw. His little ones could hardly hang on, and he was quite a clumsy little creature, but she knew that he would soon grow and very likely overwhelm her in size and shape. She was a petite creature, but Jawara had been huge. . . even her cubs averaged between them both, they would still be borderline big.

As her son strugged to grab her paw, she finally gave in and as he swiped at it, she fell over to her side, paw still and beneath Yezekael. "Oh my sweet goddess, you got me. . . . You're just too strong for your old mother!"

Uta

Shy Mage

MoonRazor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:25 am
A silly giggle rang forth from the little cub as he rubbed his face against his mother's paw. "You're not old!" He said gleefully, releasing her paw to scoot under her arm. What a wonderful excuse to cuddle. "The vizier is old. Like a grandpa." As far as Zeki knew, his mother had yet to become a grandma, which by definition meant that she absolutely couldn't be that old. And besides, old people were grumpy, and Yejide was anything but that.

He glanced up at the sky, and saw that it had grown lighter. The dense clouds that had enshrouded the sun were beginning to thin, and even as he watched, he could see them starting to drift away. Through the ones that remained, he could see brightness shining through.

It would be a while yet before any real rays of light would reach the earth and warm it, but Zeki was content. At the very least, it seemed, his prayer was starting to work.

(fin?)

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff