Submit

Daveak Shadowsword

Shadowy Mage

12,200 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:20 am
Okay, most of us here know the law to rejeneration that rather than physical possibility-- regulated the number of times a Time Lord could regenerate. After 12 regenerations, the Rassilonic force took the Time Lord's essence and bio data into a matrix. (Deadly Assassin, Shada)

I however believe that the Doctor can do it even more than 12 because of the following reasons that I have found through research. They are:

Time Lords were able to extend the allotted number of regenerations when the need existed. For example, in The Five Doctors, the master is told that if he helps the High Council he will be given a "new regeneration cycle" which implies he will be allowed or given 12 more regeneration before being sucked into the Matrix. In the New Series, the Master claims he was given new regenerations but in the end chooses not to use them. (The Sound of Drums)

Another demonstration that the matrix’s power was regulated rather than forced is that, at the end of the Master's regeneration cycles, he transfers his essence into a new body and lives. If the 12 regenerations were a physical limit, his essence would have been dead or powerless to act and survive the change. (The Keeper of Traken)

Therefore, if Gallefrey, Rassilon, and the power behind the matrix has ceased to exist, the Doctor’s essence will not be taken from him after 12 regenerations. His essence will not be changed and he will still retain the ability to regenerate, possibly as many times as he likes.

Slightly off-topic:
In Mawdryn Undead the Doctor still has the limit of 12 regeneration by the Rassilonic law. However, I think the important detail to recognized in this episode is that regeneration energy can be transferred, or even possibly renewed. It is also good to note that the TARDIS herself can transfer the same type energy as used for regeneration. One could theorize here that the Doctor could draw energy from the TARDIS to regenerate when he himself is too weak. It is possibly he did this in Journeys End, thereby causing the TARDIS to be temporarily destroyed.

Although the Doctor is known to bluff, he often did tell others that he had more regeneration than 12 -- usually some very high number. In Creature from the Pit, he claims he has regenerated many more times than 12 already.

So, that being said, what are you opinions on this?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm
Well at first I think the rule was 13 regenerations. But after seeing the Master I think they will probably end up extending the Doctor's life span as well. I think actually in a recent Sarah Jane Adventures episode he said he can change 507 times.
(Death of the Doctor)  

DiscordWhovian

Junior Genius

4,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Member 100

Marie Rouge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:48 pm
also,if he only had 13 regenerations since the first(recorded) Doctor,that means that there is only one actor left because he regenerated without the physical appearance at the end of the Donna year.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:32 pm
Here are a few things you must remember when you think about his regenerations.
1. The Doctor lies.
2. The normal limit is 12 regenerations(13 incarnations), but there are ways around it.
3. The Time War changed everything.
4. The 10th Doctor triggered 2 separate regenerations.
5. The Doctor lies.
Point being, with all that happened to the Doctor, it's impossible to tell how many times he has regenerated. After all, when the Tenth Doctor was artificially aged 100 years by the Master, he seemed older than the First Doctor. Than when his regenerations were suspended, he was reduced to a shrunken, withered husk of his old self. These things alone point to the possibility that the Doctor has either lied about his age or he has lied about his regenerations. Quite possibly both.  

silversonic1

Mega Noob

20,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
The T.A.R.D.I.S.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items