PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm
It focuses on demonized Deities and I am drawing a blank on some of them
I have:
Hades
Set
Cernunnos
Ba'al
and a few others

I was wondering if anyone would have any other names or information on any of the above that may help me?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 pm
if you mean demonized by the early church,
Posidon and Pan come to mind  

oceantail

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 pm
Loki comes to mind as well.

Along with oceantail's question, do you mean demonized specifically by the "Church", or do you simply mean demonized in general, through misinterpretations of myths/lore (or inaccurate portrayals of certain deities through the years)?

The following is a good link on Set, which should be relevant to your paper.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 am
It's mostly I am looking for demonized by the general population
You know like how the media portrays Hades as being the evil god when he is no worse than his brothers  

Underbunny

Dapper Explorer

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • First step to fame 200

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 pm
That's cool, yeah there are definite a good number of those that have been misrepresented over the years. Usually I find that it's those that have to do with death, or other aspects that the average person is either afraid of, or messes with their ideal of a "rainbows and ponies" type world.

Hel would probably be a good one, though it's not so much that she's been demonized, but more that people sometimes think Hel = going to Hell.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:40 am
Pan gets a lot of flack from modern society. The devil is often times represented as a faun, just like Pan. And they popularize the facet of Pan with lust as a sin, making the transition more overlooked. That is all I got.  

zabazor
Vice Captain

Luna Black Wolf

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 pm
- Hecate (if you need an example...macbeth)
- Baphomet

that's all I can really think of right now, Rhiannon I'm not sure if she's been "Demonized" or not, but I know she was killed as a witch (or at least that's what I remember)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:29 am
There's Kali. She's definitely been demonized by a lot of people because of her wild, war-like nature and dominion over death. Most everyone forgets that she is also a passionate lover and an extremely maternal woman. Case in point: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  

Independent Renegade

Thirteenth Dragon

oceantail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:31 am
I am pretty sure nearly every ancient cannanite(*sp) deity was turned into a demon at some point, this is only a guess becuase of the profuse ammount of demons in certain video games that all start with the line, a cannanite deity... I am unaware of the cannanite pantheon in its totality, but it seems to have quite a few demonized deities  
The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games